Author Topic: Conditions on Kinder Scout  (Read 1105 times)

robrymond

Conditions on Kinder Scout
« on: 23:06:29, 13/08/19 »
Looking to go walking on Sunday around Kinder Scout area, but a little worried about the recent heavy rains and conditions underfoot.

Last time I was there it was bone dry with no peat bogs in sight. I imagine that is a different story now, but is it terrible?

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Re: Conditions on Kinder Scout
« Reply #1 on: 15:32:49, 15/08/19 »
I did a 10 miler today from Chinley to Edale (Cracken Edge...Peep O'Day...Mount Famine..Chinley Head...South Head...Brown Knoll...Horsehill Tor...Chapel Gate...Barber Booth..Edale). So maybe different side of Edale valley to where you may walk, but pretty close, and wouldn't expect conditions to be that different. (Assuming you don't cross plateau itself, rather than sticking to "obvious" paths...but who does cross plateau UNLESS wanting to practice navigation skills??)

It was basically okay. Didn't use gaiters and trousers still clean, and boots also clean. There were a few areas where I needed to do mini detours because path was a bit boggy, and the areas where I would have expected most "trouble" a few years ago (section around Brown Knoll) are now stone paved.

JerryW

« Reply #2 on: 21:20:33, 15/08/19 »
Just got back from a (wet) week in Edale. Conditions in the area generally are perfectly OK.. Brown Knoll, Mam Tor/Lose Hill, the various cloughs and the paths around the edges of the plateau. The interior of the plateau is extremely variable .. some parts, mainly to the N and E, are fine. Some are a boggy nightmare. But the plateau interior is a magical place. Go carefully, take your time and leave no trace, and you can't fail to enjoy the experience. I wouldn't go there without a gps capability, nowadays! In dodging all the deep sikes it is so very easy to lose your sense of direction.
I love the outdoors, and will be out there, while I can :-)

robrymond

« Reply #3 on: 23:11:55, 18/08/19 »
We ended up in the Upper Goyt Valley instead which was slightly soft but thankfully the stone platforms help. It's certainly wetter though than last year. Infact today was windy and cold, yet back in February I sat in the same spot at the top of the ridge in just a t-shirt! Fickle weather for sure.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy