Author Topic: Gore Tex boots  (Read 3829 times)

Man wae a dug

Gore Tex boots
« on: 13:26:41, 20/09/19 »
My new (worn 6 times) boots leak. First time I'd had them in water (literally 2cm deep at the edge of a very, very small ford) and the right boot let in water. Took them home and popped them in the sink, the insole was wet within 20-30 seconds. Ok, these things can happen; production lines are only as good as the least conscientious member of the team.

I bought them online but will be returning them to the shop. I'm not expecting any issues in replacing or upgrading them but I was wondering if this was a common occurrence with GTX membranes in footwear. It's the first pair I've bought and I'm thinking it might be an idea to go old school and exchange/upgrade to a non GTX pair of leather boots and a tin of dubbin.  

Any thoughts?  
Be ye man or bairn or wumman
Be ye gaun or be ye comin
For Scotlands pride no Scotlands shame
Gether yer litter and tak it hame!

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Gore Tex boots
« Reply #1 on: 13:44:00, 20/09/19 »
If they're Salomon boots then I'm afraid your experience isn't unusual...

I returned two pairs of Salomon GTX boots before getting my current Scarpa boots, which I've had for a couple of years and have been far better. My wife's Salomon boots leak badly and now she always wears waterproof socks if there's a possibility of getting soggy feet!
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Man wae a dug

« Reply #2 on: 14:00:20, 20/09/19 »
@ Whitstable Dave-  Nah, they are North Face ones. I looked at Salomon, Scarpa and Brasher but thought the NF ones were a bargain at the time. As they were really only for dog walking in the park at the moment (planning to relegate them to a spare pair for hills next year) I was happy enough to go with them at the time. Not so sure now.  

Was considering Salomon ones as an upgrade but if GTX is a bit iffy in footwear I might upgrade to full leather Brasher ones.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:26:22, 20/09/19 »
As WhitstableDave points out some manufacturers such as Salomon do have an extremely high failure rate due to waterproof liner leaks or poor build quality i.e. sole/rand not attached securely during manufacture. I wouldn't be too fast to blame the waterproof liner for the leaks as it's far more likely to be just poor build quality in manufacturing.

It's just my opinion but North Face appear to have recently become more of a fashion brand these days than the serious outdoor brand that they once used to be.

Bottom line is that all waterproof liners. Gore-Tex, eVent, SympaTex, B-Dry will all leak eventually when they get punctured or wear through. Dirt and grit in the boot can be just as effective at causing punctures as a toe nail.

In a fabric or fabric/leather combination boot it means the boots become useless in any wet weather and need replacing whereas a full leather boot will still remain waterproof even when the waterproof liner has been punctured provided it has been cleaned and waxed regularly.

If you are looking for a replacement boot purely for low level dog walking I would recommend that you have a look at the Altberg Defender military boot which doesn't have a waterproof liner but has a fast drying Cambrelle lining and is available via eBay from around £50-£75 or cheaper for used examples. At that price they are cheap enough to replace as and when the sole wears out.

https://www.altberg.co.uk/product/mens-defender-combat-boot-mod-brown-uk-military-issue-boot/
« Last Edit: 14:30:08, 20/09/19 by kinkyboots »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:09:37, 20/09/19 »
Was considering Salomon ones as an upgrade but if GTX is a bit iffy in footwear I might upgrade to full leather Brasher ones.

I've had a couple of Salomon boots, first leaked after about a years use, took them back and they were swapped for another pair, which after about 18 months are still fine  O0
Where there's a will ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:22:34, 20/09/19 »
I've had two pairs of Saloman boots, Quest 4D and Ultra X, plus a pair of Keen Targhee's, all very comfortable, great for walking in but they ALL leaked. Sent them back, 2 refunds then bought Berghaus Superlites, the first pair wore out, no leaks, 2nd pair leaked after 2 years. Just received a new pair of Ultra-X's today as a replacement for my last leaking Ultra X's. They are going to my daughter in law, she will buy me a pair of Superlites.

Man wae a dug

« Reply #6 on: 15:49:57, 20/09/19 »
@kinkyboots -  Never thought on army surplus, might be a consideration next time. As I'll be looking to swap these boots out it's not an option for now though, but a good option for dog walking. I knew North Face were quite fashionable (I've noticed the label here and there) but I wasn't sure of their 'outdoors' credentials.  Leather with GTX might work, as you say the leather will be waterproof anyway if the membrane fails. Ideally I want to use them for walking the dog for now but then have them as a back up pair for next year when he's a bit older and I can get him into the hills.

@sussamb - Yep, I think it's a production line lottery. Cheers for the tip on the 35:45, reckon it will cover me for both options I had in mind. Good shout.

@gunwharfman -  I'll have a look at the superlites if they have them in store (and will replace mines with no fuss)......I've got Berghaus waterproof jacket and trousers though......I might end up looking like a Berghaus  advert!  I reckon full leather will be the road I go down here, with or without a waterproof liner.

I know these things happen, but it's a tad annoying when your feet get wet the first time you plonk them in a tiny bit of water.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:54:31, 20/09/19 »
My new Salomon Quest X Mark 3's have arrived, they look good, I've put them on in the house and they feel so cosy and comfortable. I wonder if they leak? Even though I am going to hand them over to my daughter in law that thought keeps nagging at my brain? I'm so tempted to find out if they leak even before they have been used, I'm not sure I can contain my curiosity?

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #8 on: 18:25:56, 20/09/19 »
My wife took her new Mammut nubuck GTX boots back to the shop because they leaked. Mammut say they've tested them in  their centrifuge and there's no leak! (Not sure what they mean by a centrifuge?).

Personally, I now always walk in leather whatever the season, and my Scarpas may get a bit damp inside but nothing to really worry about.
I also gave up on Salomon 4DGTX - the view from Cotswold was that in wet grass the lining gets overpowered. In fairness they did offer to return them, but recommended more application of conditioner cream which I did but it's hard to apply overcoating to boots of this design. I gave up on them eventually. Very comfortable boots though.

Dave

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:11:36, 20/09/19 »
I also gave up on Salomon 4DGTX - the view from Cotswold was that in wet grass the lining gets overpowered. In fairness they did offer to return them, but recommended more application of conditioner cream which I did but it's hard to apply overcoating to boots of this design.

That's what I did on mine that leaked, it did have a considerable effect for the first couple of walks, but then the dampness got in again.
Where there's a will ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:55:15, 21/09/19 »
Fabric boots have always led to disappointment - full leather is the only way to go.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:13:23, 21/09/19 »
Are there any really lightweight leather boots?  While I see what everyone means about them being generally better, I find myself increasingly reluctant to lift that much boot over bog, heather and stiles, especially at the end of a long day.  Life is full of compromises, and I find that occasionally damp feet and having to buy a bit more often is better (I haven't had anything give way in less than about 1000 miles) than, for instance, my Altberg tetheras, which will last for ever because they hardly come out of the boot-rack.
As I'm about to start my lengthy search for a new pair of boots, any suggestions?  Not Altbergs, I've had a couple of pairs, and really don't get on with them.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:30:23, 21/09/19 »
If you want fabric I'm more than happy with my Salomon 4D 3GTX, at least this second pair that are staying waterproof.  Even the first pair didn't leak too badly, but enough for me to swap them after a year or so.  A summary of reviews here

https://runrepeat.com/salomon-quest-4d-3-gtx

I've also recently invested in a pair of Meindl Bhutan leather boots, so far they seem excellent and not too heavy.
« Last Edit: 10:34:31, 21/09/19 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:58:04, 21/09/19 »
Are there any really lightweight leather boots? 

I'm not recommending them but you could possibly add the Berghaus Supalite II GTX Boots to your list to have a look at as a starting point. 1.6-1.8mm full grain abrasion resistant Pittards leather 970g (per pair) and both leather and GoreTex lined @ around £105/pair.

If you check reviews etc like a lot of Berghaus/Brasher boots they also seem to have had their fair share of build quality issues (lace hooks pulling off and leaks) and I'm not sure they or the Vibram XS Trek Supalite soles on them would be up to the type of walking you do.

Gunwharfman has had 2 or 3 pairs so he may be able to offer his opinion.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:23:38, 21/09/19 »
(lace hooks pulling off...

Argh - happened to a new pair of Brasher boots that I bought about 16 months ago! Blacks Aviemore good about giving a refund, though - but no I didn't want a replacement pair!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy