Author Topic: Must do mountain walks?  (Read 8951 times)

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
Must do mountain walks?
« on: 22:08:49, 31/07/08 »
hey guys,

I'm off to Mid Wales for two weeks and would like some ideas for walks.Always seem to stick to the same places because they are safe and I can't get lost ;D (Snowdon,Cadair Idris) but am ready to try some new places now I'm fitter and a bit more experienced.Am staying just on the border of southern snowdonia and don't mind driving to get to places so any inspiration?

I would really like to explore the carneddau range but not sure how feasible it is.Anyone done it?Sure I've read somewhere that scrambling is involved so I wonder how hard and how exposed it is?I also fancy the Berwyns.

Where would you go if you had the chance?Please don't say Crib Goch or Tryfan because I'm arsed if I'm going anywhere near those two ;D.Cheers,

Claire

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Must do mountain walks?
« Reply #1 on: 23:10:11, 31/07/08 »
The Carneddau are mainly big, stony Cairngorm-ish lumps - ie steep sides but big, round tops.  Any scrambly or exposed bits are easily avoided. Its a cracking place - you can march on unhindered by scrambles all day - go for it. Dont forget to bag the Carneddau in the East - around Pen Llithrig y wrach...cracking stuff....

My choice would be the Arenigs - just West of Bala - cos I've never been and I'm hoping for a trip there in a couple of weeks...  no screambling on those either, so I understand...
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Skinny Walker

« Reply #2 on: 08:33:08, 01/08/08 »
I was looking for 2 day walks in Wales and kindly Howardfernlover pointed me in the direction of this little gem of a website,

http://v-g.me.uk/TripsPhotos/TripsPhotosArea.htm

Hope it helps you like it helped me!  ;)
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

False_Summit_Veteran

« Reply #3 on: 13:17:50, 01/08/08 »
Cnicht is a good walk in and a scramble up "The Welsh Materhorn" (its much less daunting than its name suggests).  It's a nice easy scramble, great views (if the weather holds) and a popular route. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cnicht

or

If you want more solice, at the southern end of Bala lake; Aran Benllyn in the Arans is a good stomp and every time I've been up it, I've had the mountain to myself.  One of my future choices for a wild camp.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/374706
Any Moel's a goal.

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:45:09, 01/08/08 »
cheers folks O0

Am off now, will definately try Cnicht and the Arans whilst I'm there.Have got to come back briefly to collect my son on Monday so I'll have another look if there are any further suggestions.Thanks again,

Claire :)

Snowman

« Reply #5 on: 10:54:00, 04/08/08 »
I assume you're desire to explore the Carneddau has nothing to do with central Wales?   Anyway one of the best walks I ever did in the Carneddau started at the car park at SH731663 and then go SW (S side of the lake).   Turn north to go over Bwlch Eryl Farchog (wonderful ridge walk with a bit of easy scrambling at each end) then up Carnedd Lllewellyn.    NE then E back to the car park - the route is pretty obvious if you look at the map.

Downside - I've never seen the view from Carnedd Llewellyn as it's always been under cloud when I've been there.   

Downside - the 'road' to the car park is several miles with a number of stops to open and shut gates.

Upside - very quiet, except for the main bits, but they only appear busy because otherwise you walk for miles without seeing anyone.

Upside - when you get back to the main road there's a pub right next to the track.   Very friendly locals (and I'm English).

A bit of history - the lake you go past at the start was dammed (some of the dam is still there), but apparently the dam burst many years ago with disastrous consequences.    The route also takes you past a deserted farmhouse which, along with this bit of history and the fact that no-one is around makes for a very atmospheric start.

Getting back to central Wales though, if you like a bit of peace and quiet try the area that goes up past the Teifi Pools and on to Domen Milwyn (and it sounds like something out of Lord of the Rings).    Not a high peak, but I loved it.    We went on a sunny day and sat at the top having a brew and saw no-one - it was one of those great walking moments.    We started from Strata Florida.

S.

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:40:48, 04/08/08 »
Well am back briefly...thanks to those who suggested Aran benllyn.Did it yesterday and was absolutely knocked out with the views from the top,amazing.Only downside was some daft sod of a farmer had very kindly put a great big bull and a load of cows in the field at the start of the path up.Nearly had a flippin heart attack..surely they shouldn't have done that on a popular footpath?

Anyway it was still great and if I ever get brave enough to go wildcamping I want to camp by the lovely little tarn near the top,fantastic spot!Was gutted because wanted to carry on to Aran Fawddwy but ran out of time.Not giving up though,shall go up again from Cwm Cwyarch to avoid getting killed/eaten by giant bulls and cows ;D.

Was looking around whilst up there at the mountains around and next on the list is Arenig Fawr,loved the look of it.Still hoping to drive up north one day for a crack at the carneddau(cheers for the info).

Will hopefully have some nice piccies when I get back.

Claire

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:47:04, 04/08/08 »
So, you had a cracking walk, Dizzy? Looking forward to the piccies O0

But Arenig Fawr - Its on me list for the week after next!....  and some Berwyns and maybe even the odd Rhinog.
I don't suppose if anybody is familiar with the Bala campsites?  Recommendations would be useful.  (I dont want anything much in terms of facilities)

« Last Edit: 11:51:27, 04/08/08 by mike knipe »

False_Summit_Veteran

« Reply #8 on: 13:07:52, 04/08/08 »
http://www.bwch-yn-uchaf.co.uk/

http://www.bwch-yn-uchaf.co.uk/enquiries.html

Stayed here before Mike. 

It's within easy distance of the aran hills anyway and Bala lake.  Clean and quiet camp site, apart from the steam train, but I was already up and at 'em before that was getting stoked up.
Any Moel's a goal.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:23:32, 04/08/08 »
That campsite looks all right - quite handy for Bala too... and I can take the pooch

Thanks very much for that FSV...

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:06:22, 06/08/08 »
I don't suppose if anybody is familiar with the Bala campsites?  Recommendations would be useful.  (I dont want anything much in terms of facilities)

Mike, user reviews of camp sites can be found on www.ukcampsite.co.uk

My experiences camping at Bala have been at Pen Y Garth which is at Rhos y Gwaliau about a mile up a lane from Bala.  Level, short grass, few tents (in September), quiet, good facilities but £10 a night (2006) for me on my own, and no plugs in the hand basins.

There's a site called Pen y Bont, on  Llangynog Road, which Graham Uney really slated in his book The High Summits of Wales (1999), apparently they ripped him off.

Enjoy your time in that area, Mike, I've done the entire Berwyn ridge, only saw two boys with bikes up there, no walkers!  Pistyll Rhaeadr waterfall is well worth seeing, even more so if you've walked there and avoided the car parking charge!

Mozz

« Reply #11 on: 21:55:51, 11/08/08 »

A bit of history - the lake you go past at the start was dammed (some of the dam is still there), but apparently the dam burst many years ago with disastrous consequences.    The route also takes you past a deserted farmhouse which, along with this bit of history and the fact that no-one is around makes for a very atmospheric start.

S.

Hi Snowman

I've actually been going to the the deserted farmhouse (known as Cedryn) for over 25yrs to  help the local farmer who's the owner but also as a walking and fishing base.

Was there last weekend and went up Carnedd Llewleyn, calling in at Ffynnon Llyffant to look at the remains of the crashed Canberra. Interestingly we had an argument as to whether this is the highest lake in Wales. At about 850m I think it may be.

The dam you refer to is at Llyn Eigiau and was the scene of the Dolgarrog dam disaster in 1925 killing 16 people and bringing about the 1930 Reservoirs Act requiring dams to be inspected. As you know, you walk past the breach in the wall and the 30ft deep gouge created by the rushing water. Quite eerie when you see it for the first time.

Cwm Eigiau is definitely atmospheric, with the dam, plane crashes and it's quarrying history.

One of my favourite places.

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 23:09:23, 11/08/08 »
we had an argument as to whether this is the highest lake in Wales. At about 850m I think it may be. 

Hi Mozz,
In his 1995 book, "The Lakes of Eryri", Geraint Roberts gives the height of Ffynnon Llyffant as 2,725 feet. 
I make that about 838m, a little bit lower than your 850m, but the author goes on to say it is "the highest named pool in Wales to appear on the OS map." 
This means that you are right, unless there is any higher lake which the OS has not named on the map.

snowslider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 14:18:51, 29/08/08 »
I just went round Elider Fawr which was interesting. The only 3000 that's not volcanic and the Dinorwic project is underneath , it is a full day but I went at a pace because a) I can and b) I've booked the electric mountain tour later so I can be on and under the mountain on the same day.

I followed a route in Rock Trails by Paul Gannon a geological walking guide which is fascinating.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy