Author Topic: I fought the Lawers, 20-23 September 2020  (Read 3062 times)

snaderson

I fought the Lawers, 20-23 September 2020
« on: 17:20:12, 29/09/20 »
Here are a few pictures from my recent visit to Scotland. Sorry about the (clichéd) title  :)

After the 6 hour or so journey from Manchester, I got out of the car and climbed up Meall Ghaordaidh - about 900m of ascent, straight up and down! It was warm too, except for a breeze on the top.

Looking back to Glen Lochay

Meall Ghaordaidh summit

Glen Lyon

I stayed at the Killin Hotel, which was only a very short drive away. The next day I headed the 10 mins up the road to the Ben Lawers car park. I had a big day planned.

Beinn Ghlas from the nature trail.

After a stiff climb there's a big reveal on the top of Beinn Ghlas, looking down into the valley where Allt a Chobhair runs.

Ben Lawers the next target

I treated myself to Scotch egg on the summit of Ben Lawers (when in Scotland, you know). Phone pic hence different size.

Lochan nan Cat (where I was heading the next day) and Loch Tay.

Beinn Ghlas and Meall Corranaich (next target).

As I was leaving the top, a couple of Scottish lads stopped me. "Excuse me, do you know which summit this is? We were supposed to come over Beinn Ghlas." I pointed out where they had taken the wrong fork at the bottom.

Ben Lawers from Meall Corranaich

The Allt a Chobhair valley again. It reminded me of Upper Eskdale and was every bit as captivating.

Lochan na Lairige finally coming into view after a very boggy descent from Meall a Choire Leith

The next day was forecast to be wet and windy. I headed out to Lawers village anyway to see how far I got. There were handy signs around a farm.

Lower reaches of Lawers Burn

On the way up the first hill (Meall Greigh) it was cold and windy and the cloud started about 850m. I resolved to cut the walk short and planned an escape route. However, at the top the wind didn't seem so bad and I carried on, despite the lack of views. I was still a bit tired and dispirited sitting on the second summit, Meall Garbh, but another bloke turned up and said he was pushing on anyway ("Is this the way to An Stuc?") so I decided to see it through all the way. Here's a typical summit view (from An Stuc, after a tricky scramble up).

Finally below the cloud and approaching Lochan nan Cat. This was another horrible boggy descent.

An Stuc made a brief appearance between the clouds

The advertised footbridge across the Lawers Burn was rather disappointing. Luckily it was easy enough to step across on the rocks

I wasn't sure if I'd have the energy for a fourth day, but the weather was really nice, so I overcame my reluctance and trudged out for a great day's walking (before the drive back home).

Meall nan Tarmachan from just near the Lawers car park

View down to Killin

Ben Lawers across Lochan na Lairige

Summit of Meall Tarmachan

Ptarmigan Ridge

Meall Garbh, just before a tricky downclimb. A friend had suggested doing the walk in the other direction, and I think the scramble would have been better that way.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: I fought the Lawers, 20-23 September 2020
« Reply #1 on: 18:16:17, 29/09/20 »
Excellent photos - looks as if you packed a lot in to a few days. O0
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:21:27, 29/09/20 »
Great report and photos, thank you.

« Last Edit: 20:16:17, 29/09/20 by fernman »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:32:08, 29/09/20 »
Been enjoying playing 'name the mountain' whilst studying some of your more distant shots - Ben Nevis, Ben More, Ben Lui....

snaderson

« Reply #4 on: 08:00:21, 30/09/20 »
Excellent photos - looks as if you packed a lot in to a few days. O0

Yes, I worried I was being too ambitious, but I'm also stubborn enough to see through the plan whatever!

Great report and photos, thank you.

Thanks!

Been enjoying playing 'name the mountain' whilst studying some of your more distant shots - Ben Nevis, Ben More, Ben Lui....

I'm pretty unfamiliar with the area, though my first Munro was 10 years ago just nearby (Stuchd an Lochain). I think I can name every lump and bump in the Peak District but looking all around at the mountains in Scotland, I wished I knew what I was looking at (yeah, I know, there's an app for that).

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:59:34, 30/09/20 »
Nice photos! It's a wonderful area for walking!

Some years ago to celebrate my birthday, I did a traverse of 5 Lawers munros: (Meall Greigh - Meall Garbh - An Stuc - Ben Lawers - Beinn Ghlas). I camped not far from Beinn Ghlass and then hitched a ride to the foot of Meall Greigh. From there I walked back to my camp, traversing these munros. Your photos bring back the memories!

At the time, I camped at a farm nearby for £5 per night and used that as a base for many walks in the area. I ended up staying there for two weeks, because there are so many good walks starting within a short ride from there.

My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:14:13, 30/09/20 »
I'm pretty unfamiliar with the area, though my first Munro was 10 years ago just nearby (Stuchd an Lochain). I think I can name every lump and bump in the Peak District but looking all around at the mountains in Scotland, I wished I knew what I was looking at (yeah, I know, there's an app for that).

That's what I love about the Highlands - rank after rank of unknown mountains stretching to the horizon. I can only identify a select few of the more prominent peaks.

snaderson

« Reply #7 on: 11:56:12, 30/09/20 »
Some years ago to celebrate my birthday, I did a traverse of 5 Lawers munros: (Meall Greigh - Meall Garbh - An Stuc - Ben Lawers - Beinn Ghlas). I camped not far from Beinn Ghlass and then hitched a ride to the foot of Meall Greigh. From there I walked back to my camp, traversing these munros. Your photos bring back the memories!

I did wonder about the Meall Greigh - Beinn Ghlas traverse, but you're a long way from the start by the end. Not sure about hitching!

That's what I love about the Highlands - rank after rank of unknown mountains stretching to the horizon. I can only identify a select few of the more prominent peaks.

Absolutely. I took a couple of 360 degree videos from summits looking round at all the hills spread out seemingly for ever.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:08:09, 30/09/20 »
Really wonderful images of what looks like a wonderful area to walk in . Plus handy signage from farmers and scotch eggs to boot... O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:09:43, 30/09/20 »

I did wonder about the Meall Greigh - Beinn Ghlas traverse, but you're a long way from the start by the end. Not sure about hitching!

Getting a hitch was easy. Many passing cars are hikers themselves and they will take you. If a nice A to B traverse opportunity presents itself, I always try to get the hitch before the walk rather than after the walk. It is nice to get that uncertainty out of the way and if the hitch proves very difficult you can then still change your plan. However, I never had any trouble getting a hitch pretty fast.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:38:12, 30/09/20 »
Loving the scotch egg stop view  O0

..it doesn't sound like the Lawers won though..

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 07:42:40, 01/10/20 »
Btw: is that a raven on the summit of your last picture? Afro

snaderson

« Reply #12 on: 07:54:36, 01/10/20 »
Really wonderful images of what looks like a wonderful area to walk in . Plus handy signage from farmers and scotch eggs to boot... O0

Cheers!

..it doesn't sound like the Lawers won though..

Reckon I won  8)

Btw: is that a raven on the summit of your last picture? Afro

It is indeed. It didn't seem keen to give up its spot. It's slightly obscured by the blotch on the lens from the previous day's rain (which I didn't spot until I downloaded the pics).

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy