Author Topic: Need waterproof boots  (Read 2008 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Need waterproof boots
« Reply #15 on: 20:49:04, 30/08/19 »
Exactly, the boots should be placed in water, not water placed in the boots  :D
Where there's a will ...

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:04:41, 30/08/19 »
Does it matter which direction GWM tries his waterproofness test? Surely the effectiveness of the lining is the same in both directions. Breathability of Goretex is due to it allowing water vapour to pass through, not liquid water.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:15:21, 30/08/19 »
Perhaps what you are replicating is the ability of the boots to allow moisture to escape through the breathable lining. Maybe you could have stood the boots in water and monitored the water leaking in.
  Unlikely - the membrane is supposed to allow the passage of vapour, not liquid and is bi-directional as far as I know.  Also very hard to monitor where the water is coming in that way.  Not sure what GWM hopes to achieve by working out where they are leaking.  The results will be misleading as the water will travel between the inner and outer layers before it finds an exit or exits and there is precious little you can do about it.  Sounds like the membranes are punctured or worn through.  Unlike leather boots, once the membrane is breached there is no second line of defence.
If you ever get to take membrane protected clothing apart, you may be surprised just how thin the membrane is.  It also can get more brittle with age - or at least that is what happened in my salopettes.
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 22:33:26, 30/08/19 »
If it helps... when I took my Salomon GTX boots back to Cotswold Outdoor, the boots were filled with water to confirm they leaked.

(I was relieved when water oozed out!)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 10:48:24, 31/08/19 »
I tried three ways to check if they really leak. I first put a teaspoon amount of water on the fabric area above the toe area, that's the first place that I noticed that they were leaking. I soon felt the water on my fingers when I placed them inside the boot under the toe area. I then placed the boots in water, that was a bit tricky, they wanted to float away so I used a couple of stones inside to hold them down. The water seeped in quickly, within an hour and a half a 1/4" of water was in the bottom of each boot, the stones were wet. I then filled the boots to the top with water and it seeped and dribbled out quickly, this morning only about 1/2" of water was still in the boot. All of the leakage points were coming out via the fabric areas.

I have now discovered where they were ordered from, (sportsshoes.com) so in a couple of days, I will contact them for a 'discussion.'

My boots are really great, so comfortable and they fit my feet like a glove, so for me ideal for hiking. I wouldn't be so annoyed if these 'waterproof' boots had a small leak that had developed slowly, I do not seek perfection. But these boots leak so badly there is no way that they can be considered waterproof.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 13:43:46, 31/08/19 »
If you Google the ASA vs Mountain Warehouse Ltd you may be shocked at the official tests that manufacturers give in order to advertise boots as water proof.
MW lost the case but the official tests have not been changed. They only test to 20mm above the feather line (they stated about the bottom third of the boot).

Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 15:07:58, 31/08/19 »
If you Google the ASA vs Mountain Warehouse Ltd you may be shocked at the official tests that manufacturers give in order to advertise boots as water proof.
MW lost the case but the official tests have not been changed. They only test to 20mm above the feather line (they stated about the bottom third of the boot).
And I bet they don't test every pair.
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 15:51:38, 31/08/19 »
And I bet they don't test every pair.
True probably just a random sample from a batch.

MW were told to stop the word useage of their advertising.  The tests themselves, which are clearly not totally fit for common sense understanding of the word waterproof, are what they all use as it is the accepted standard.

Quite a surprise to me.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy