Author Topic: You know you’re a WALKER when…  (Read 4674 times)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: You know you’re a WALKER when…
« Reply #15 on: 20:43:58, 10/07/20 »
...For me it is more about the sense of adventure and achievement of getting into wild places, rather than distance covered  - a mile on the hill can be as tough as 2 or in some cases 3 on the flat. Taking over an hour to walk the mile and a bit from Kentmere Pike to Harter Fell in full on winter conditions earlier this year springs to mind - utterly exhausting but intensely satisfying...

Not wishing to be pedantic,  ;) , toughness depends on various factors - including speed.

It's entirely possible for a mile walked on the flat at (say) 4.5mph to be as tough as a mile walked uphill at (say) 2mph. In fact some might find it tougher.

One of the things I do on the treadmill sometimes is adjust my pace on ascents so as to maintain a steady rate of exertion. Basically, the steeper the climb, the slower the pace, but the same amount of effort is needed.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:49:30, 10/07/20 »
I reckon I am closer to Richard's list. 
Though I like to know roughly how far I have walked, I don't use a GPS much, so I measure map miles and round down to the nearest half mile.  A walk is as long as it is.  Like a work of art it is finished when it is complete.
I do have a drawer full of walking clothes, and a corner of the spare room and a box under the stairs.  However, Mr I is into sailing, so when it comes to stuff around the house I can't compete.  I have been known to complain about bits of boat engine in the kitchen, which I regard as less reasonable than muddy boots.   Maps and charts have to compete for the kitchen table.
I always squeeze a walk into long drives.  I have to, otherwise I get too stiff.  That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 22:28:49, 10/07/20 »
I'm not doing too well by the original list.

1. I don't measure my walks until I get home. :)

2. My clothing is mixed up in various draws. Socks in the sock draw be they walking socks sports socks or office socks T shirts in the T shirt draw etc.

3 I can do pretty well.  I can also work out my ave output in watts on the move without any devices other than an OS map and clock, if I'm really bored of the view that is.  ;)

4. Seldom get up early for a walk much I enjoy them. Surfing I used to get up long before dawn for, when it was pumping.  O0

5. I know Waitrose is is exactly 1 mile from home walking via the rugby club.  Blame the lockdown for that one. No idea in any other direction.

I like Richards list.   O0

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 22:48:45, 10/07/20 »
Not wishing to be pedantic,  ;) , toughness depends on various factors - including speed.

It's entirely possible for a mile walked on the flat at (say) 4.5mph to be as tough as a mile walked uphill at (say) 2mph. In fact some might find it tougher.

One of the things I do on the treadmill sometimes is adjust my pace on ascents so as to maintain a steady rate of exertion. Basically, the steeper the climb, the slower the pace, but the same amount of effort is needed.
I would find a mile on the flat at 4.5 mph easier than sustained fast uphill walking (in the mountains). The flat is invariably easier than uphill, as there is no need to go at breakneck even if you can (and I can). Some uphill routes are tough whatever the speed of walking and would eclipse anything on the flat. I would suggest that walking downhill in the mountains is tougher than walking on the flat and sometimes tougher than walking uphill.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 00:53:07, 11/07/20 »
I would find a mile on the flat at 4.5 mph easier than sustained fast uphill walking (in the mountains). The flat is invariably easier than uphill, as there is no need to go at breakneck even if you can (and I can). Some uphill routes are tough whatever the speed of walking and would eclipse anything on the flat. I would suggest that walking downhill in the mountains is tougher than walking on the flat and sometimes tougher than walking uphill.

The 'toughness' of a walk depends on many things, but especially on speed, ascent and overall distance. I simply made the point that ascent is not the only aspect that makes a walk 'tough' (as I felt was being suggested).

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 02:07:28, 11/07/20 »
 For me the term “tough” is not the best way of describing a walk. It has a burden of implied machismo which is inappropriate for what should be a pleasurable activity. I prefer terms such as easy, moderate or challenging.
The factors that would make me describe a walk as challenging would be the distance covered with respect to: the going underfoot, gradients (both up and down), height gain, weather conditions, psychological factors such as exposure and the ease of route finding.  The speed at which it is walked is a matter of personal choice.  Any walk can be made unpleasant if you go at it hard enough, everyone has their preferred pace.

When I publish a route, the only factor I ignore in assigning a degree of difficulty is the weather on the day, though even that will get a mention if the walk should only be tackled in certain circumstances or affect the going. I never suggest how long it might take - that is up to the individual.  Walking is about having fun, not beating the clock.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 06:21:41, 11/07/20 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 07:27:31, 11/07/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 06:32:44, 11/07/20 »
The 'toughness' of a walk depends on many things, but especially on speed, ascent and overall distance. I simply made the point that ascent is not the only aspect that makes a walk 'tough' (as I felt was being suggested).

I didn't actually specifically mention ascent in my post - I was thinking as much in terms of the roughness of the ground and weather conditions as the ascent (and descent, for that matter), as opposed purely to distance, which seemed to dominate your list (not that there is anything wrong with that - each to their own). In fact, the example I used only involved a small amount of ascent - take a look at the video in my original post and you will get some idea of what conditions were like.
« Last Edit: 06:53:31, 11/07/20 by richardh1905 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 08:01:10, 11/07/20 »
..when your porch smells of wet waterproofs.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 09:29:22, 11/07/20 »

For me the term “tough” is not the best way of describing a walk. ...

...  Walking is about having fun, not beating the clock.

The term 'tough' was first used in Reply #5, which wasn't mine. Actually, I didn't understand why the word was used at all since I'd only referred to how some people (like me!) like to get the total distance up to a whole number - as in, I'd walk a little further to reach 10 miles instead of settling for 9.9 miles. (I sometimes do the same thing for ascent.) Toughness didn't come into it!

Walking is about having fun for those people who walk for fun. Walking is about beating the clock for people who walk to beat the clock. I don't have just one reason for walking - I like to do both of those things and a lot more besides!  :)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 09:46:58, 11/07/20 »
...you can name at least a couple of dozen different clothing and footwear brands (and probably speak authoritatively about them!).

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 10:23:32, 11/07/20 »
Walking is about having fun for those people who walk for fun. Walking is about beating the clock for people who walk to beat the clock. I don't have just one reason for walking - I like to do both of those things and a lot more besides!  :)
  So long as you are having fun Dave.  If I did not enjoy it, I would find something else to do - there are other ways of getting exercise including, God forbid, running.  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 11:09:30, 11/07/20 »
Bet you can't convert nm to km though
would that be nano metres
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 11:42:35, 11/07/20 »
would that be nano metres
No it wouldn't.
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 12:14:17, 11/07/20 »
  So long as you are having fun Dave.  If I did not enjoy it, I would find something else to do - there are other ways of getting exercise including, God forbid, running:)
...which I've been working on recently of course.  ;) I'm loving it so far, although I'm only really interested in trail running or, as I think of it: walk-run-walk-run repeat. Very much the best of both worlds IMHO! 8)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy