Author Topic: Tent Comparisons  (Read 9494 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: Tent Comparisons
« Reply #15 on: 10:24:50, 24/02/18 »

Retail therapy would be changing the rucksack and sleep system.  

That's a lot of rucksack - 56 pounds is about 25 kilos - what are you carrying that weighs that much or was that till you got fit and now you've cut that weight?

For daily fitness walks I've now dropped the weight down to 41-42 lbs, (which I am comfortable and happy carrying on the lanes and tracks around us - just enough to get a 'sweat on' and keep the body weight in line and I can maintain an average of 3.5 mpg) of which food & water is around 13lbs and there are all sorts of 'bits and bobs' thrown in to make up the weight.

When on 'proper' multi-day hikes it is re-packed with whatever is necessary for the conditions / duration and is generally 5lbs+ lighter.

Weights are :
Rucksack : 1.7kg
Tent, Sleeping Bag, Mat, Footprint : 4.08kg
Stove, Gas Cartridge, Pots, Pans Bowls, Cup, Cutlery, Washing Up Kit : 1.42kg
Change of Clothing, Hat, Gloves, Washing Kit, Gaiters, Camp Slippers : 3.38kg
Bits & Bobs (1st Aid Kit, Trowel, Loo Paper, Radio, Kindle, Multi-Tool, Solar 'Battery Bank*' & Leads, Torch, Head Light, GPS, etc etc). :2.22kg

Total 12.8 kgs (28lbs)

*Solar Battery bank weighs 234g and will re-charge my Kindle, GPS, Watch,  Phone, Head Light, Torch & power the USB Tent Lamp
« Last Edit: 10:27:57, 24/02/18 by alan de enfield »

Gadabout Bounder

« Reply #16 on: 10:48:30, 24/02/18 »
Are you looking for a more minimalist pack weight?

My thoughts would be that if your comfortable with it that is your choice but if you can carry all of that and cut the overall weight in half or more is there any reason why you wouldn't?

The argument that to cary 12 kilos your legs don't notice I don't really agree with, try with 6 kilos and you will notice a difference at the end of a big walk or a bit of ascent, no matter who you are.

Some would say that has a bigger cost but if you are looking for retail therapy and have a couple of quid to spend I'd be all over that pack - I just wouldn't tell Mrs Bounder and any receipts for 'what this old thing, I've had it ages' would be well and truly binned.
'We've spilt the same blood in the same mud'

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 11:21:00, 24/02/18 »

Are you looking for a more minimalist pack weight?

Any weight saving has to be beneficial

My thoughts would be that if your comfortable with it that is your choice but if you can carry all of that and cut the overall weight in half or more is there any reason why you wouldn't?

None

The argument that to cary 12 kilos your legs don't notice I don't really agree with, try with 6 kilos and you will notice a difference at the end of a big walk or a bit of ascent, no matter who you are.

My 25 litre (2-3 Day sack, including tent and sleeping bag, but without food & water) comes in at 5.75kg

Some would say that has a bigger cost but if you are looking for retail therapy and have a couple of quid to spend I'd be all over that pack - I just wouldn't tell Mrs Bounder and any receipts for 'what this old thing, I've had it ages' would be well and truly binned

I am a 'Master Black Belt' in waylaying the postman / carriers. Things are becoming less difficult now SWMBO has her own Paypal account & is going wild - she purchased 5ks of nettles this week for £25.  NETTLES - NETTLES as if we don't have enough of our own !!!!!

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 13:51:26, 24/02/18 »
You two have obviously married the wrong women  ;D .

I had those problems years ago when we were bringing up sprogs and I was the sole earner - you've got a rucksack, what do want another one for - but not any more. All of my income and a lot of hers (she still works, I don't) goes into a "household" account that is used for bills and food, but a fixed amount is transferred monthly to my personal account. So she doesn't see what I spend on outdoors gear and I don't see what she spends on her exotic holidays out of her own account.

The long and the short of it for me is that I could reduce my pack weight by spending hundreds of pounds on lighter tent / sleeping bag / rucksack / clothing / other bits of equipment, but I feel it would be extravagant (I said on page 1 of this thread I'm a tight old git) and anyway I don't have that amount to spend in the first place. So, I stick with what I have for now, only looking for something lighter if a replacement is essential, or if something hugely less weight comes along that is within my budget. 
« Last Edit: 13:56:53, 24/02/18 by fernman »

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:29:59, 24/02/18 »

The long and the short of it for me is that I could reduce my pack weight by spending hundreds of pounds on lighter tent / sleeping bag / rucksack / clothing / other bits of equipment, but I feel it would be extravagant (I said on page 1 of this thread I'm a tight old git) and anyway I don't have that amount to spend in the first place. So, I stick with what I have for now, only looking for something lighter if a replacement is essential, or if something hugely less weight comes along that is within my budget.

I think in reality that is probably where I am 'at', but it always useful to 'chew the fat' and get other folks take on things - could I be doing better, is there justification for saving a few grams ?
(I'm not yet at the stage of cutting my tooth brush or comb in half, or using leaves instead of toilet paper).

I don't have any real problems with the weight (t'would be 'nicer lighter', and the day will come when it needs to be), everything 'works' I'm dry, warm, well fed and comfortable, maybe its best left as-is for now.

We may be camping but that doesn't mean we have to do without our comforts.

Its Winter time, I don't get out & about as much as I'd like, I havn't bought anything since Christmas ..................... 

Hmmmm - Looking at my boots today - treads are a bit worn down, maybe they should be next on the list.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:26:59, 24/02/18 »
If you are ever driven to use leaves make sure you know what a holly tree looks like and avoid them when the moment arrives.

:D :D ;D
Too little, too late, too bad......

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 15:51:35, 24/02/18 »
is there justification for saving a few grams ?
(I'm not yet at the stage of cutting my tooth brush or comb in half, or using leaves instead of toilet paper).

I left a nail file out of my kit to save 4.5g  :D   And instead of a penknife I take a Stanley craft knife with its plastic handle shortened (but TBH that's more so that it will fit inside my billy can).

I don't have any real problems with the weight (t'would be 'nicer lighter', and the day will come when it needs to be), everything 'works' I'm dry, warm, well fed and comfortable, maybe its best left as-is for now.

We may be camping but that doesn't mean we have to do without our comforts.

I couldn't have put that better.

If you are ever driven to use leaves make sure you know what a holly tree looks like and avoid them when the moment arrives.

At 16 I had a job in a shop with a skinflint manager. When the toilet paper ran out in January he put some left-over Christmas wrapping paper there for us to use. It was decorated with holly and berries, and one of the lads declared, "I'm not wiping my a***e with that, it's got prickles on it!"

Gadabout Bounder

« Reply #22 on: 20:41:14, 24/02/18 »
I sold 3 rucksacks on Ebay, one of them was 22 years old - an original Camelbak Mule that had not been used in over twenty years, an Osprey Talon 33 (5 years old) that wasn't quite big enough for my requirements and a Lowe Alpine 35:45 (five years old) that I thought could work for me but it didn't.

Those 3 paid for my latest rucksack.

It's more comfortable than the Osprey and Lowe Alpine but has the option of reducing it's weight if I want to and pack size is exactly what I'm after with a little wiggle room. It also has the mesh rear pocket for wet tent and or other gear. Stripped or full weight it is an incredibly comfortable purchase.

Weight reducing doesn't need to be about absolute minimum and a lack of comfort.

Pack size and purchases can be made without breaking the bank by looking at secondhand - you wouldn't know this rucksack has been used.

There is a perception that stripping weight from a rucksack is about losing comfort and some do go that way but I can assure you my pack is as comfortable as any on here but just a lot lighter.

It's taken me a long time to get where I am with my kit because I am also a tight Yorkshire lad, what I've hopefully done is bought carefully when I could afford and waited or made do until I could change kit for lighter options.

I look at every purchase from every angle, I'm [censored], I go into everything but my kit is important, it allows me to overnight in all four seasons. When I buy anything it will be months of gauging weights against comfort, brand against brand, cost is also important - the wallet isn't limitless but I don't mind paying for the right kit.

I wouldn't compromise on comfort, I'm a big lad with a very physical job/business,  Both at work and in my personal life I still push myself really hard, lower back issues & joint problems that began in my teens are showing more and more and if careful purchases can reduce problems or allow me to get out and walk a little further for as long as I can then it has been worth it.

I'd happily meet up with any members of the forum to show that lightweight doesn't mean a lack of comfort.

The aim is to get out there and enjoy it whether that is lighter or not.

Gadabout Bounder

« Reply #23 on: 20:46:23, 24/02/18 »
Alan are you from Enfield?

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 22:23:09, 24/02/18 »

Alan are you from Enfield?

A regular question, but, No.
The name refers to the Lee Enfield rifles that I collect & shoot

Dan1902

« Reply #25 on: 18:01:07, 25/02/18 »
With me and my gear, I find bulk worse than the weight.
I also have a Berghaus Trailhead 65 rucksack and my kit would all fit in but was so tight and proper rammed, especially now as I would take some camera gear.
This rucksack's side pockets are almost useless if you want to use them once you've already stuffed the main compartment (my biggest gripe with the thing.)
This included carrying our 3 man tent weighing in at just under 3kg (for 2 of us.) I changed to a lighter less bulky sleeping pad and a down quilt and also a down jacket (from synthetic) for when at camp or stopping for a break. This all compresses down so much better and it made a huge difference. My OH refuses to change from her synthetic fill Mountain Hardwear Lamina 20 sleeping bag but she's the one who had to carry it!
Our kit weighs in at 13-14kg give or take.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 18:51:47, 25/02/18 »

With me and my gear, I find bulk worse than the weight.
This rucksack's side pockets are almost useless if you want to use them once you've already stuffed the main compartment (my biggest gripe with the thing.)
T

Completely agree re 'Bulk' and whilst I understand what you are saying about the side pockets I have 'loads' in them

RH Side                                                                       LH Side
 1st Aid Kit + Roll Zinc-Oxide Tape                            Saucepan/Frying Pan & Contents
Cash                                                                            Stove ‘Stand’ & Adapter
Mini GPS                                                                    Gas Stove & 220g Cartridge 
Toilet Paper                                                                 Folding Steel Cup (250ml)
Wood Stove (c/w Kindling)                                        Gas Lantern + USB Bendy Light
2x Green Big Bin bags                                                2x Stainless Steel Bowls
                                                                                    Rain Hat,
                                                                                    9 Mts. Paracord

(The 1st aid kit, tablets & 'bits & bobs' are in a 1 litre ice cream tub)

The main part of the bag is 'stuffed' pretty tightly with the sleeping bag, sleeping mat, clothing and Down Jacket 'behind' the side pockets.
What I do find difficult to access / use is the little 'pockets' below the main side pockets - almost impossible to get anything out of them without emptying the big-side pockets.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 20:53:08, 25/02/18 »
I often wonder what we all take when we go hiking? I couldn't even know how to fill a 65L rucksack?  I use a 48L Osprey and my previous one was 50L, even when fully equiped for a 2 or 3 weeker I would still have, what I think is a fair amount of space left. I do not cook en route and do not carry a camera so these items are not taking up space in my rucksack. I do have stuff in the outside pockets and they cause me no problems, they are nicely flexible and elastic. I just use them to hold my 3 fold sit on mat, a pair of flip flops, my groundsheet, my rucksack cover and water filter. I roll my tent and tent poles up like a sausage and then horizontally secure them across the top of the rucksack. My waist belt has a smallish pocket on each side of my waist band. I carry my coins and MIFi in one and the other is used to carry my phone charging wires and my little back-up flip Samsung phone, £9.99 from Tesco's, one of my better buys. My down sleeping quilt, in its stuffsack, really compresses into a small size as does my NeoAit mattress. As I write this I am still thinking, if I had one, how would I cope with a 65L Rucksack?

Gadabout Bounder

« Reply #28 on: 21:49:16, 25/02/18 »
I'm glad Alan mentioned the ice cream container - It made me go and check how big it was - when I went in the freezer there was a 900 mil container with some triple choc left in it.

It was lovely O0

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 22:14:42, 25/02/18 »

. I roll my tent and tent poles up like a sausage and then horizontally secure them across the top of the rucksack.

Well I wonder what 'size' (number of litres) your tent, poles etc would add up to.
I was always taught to have everything 'packed' inside your pack - nothing outside to rattle, bang, or able to 'catch' or snag on anything.

If your tent, poles etc. pack into (just as an example) a 40cm x 15cm diameter 'sausage' that is equivalent to 7.1 litres.

If (for example) you have a down 'quilt' that may pack down into 5 litres, my Vango Wilderness sleeping bag packs down into 9.1 litres.

Just with those two items we have identified a 16.2 litres difference - as has been said earlier in the thread, 'bulk' (volume) can be as important as weight.[/color]  

My tent is 6.75 litres, the mattress is 5.5 litres, and sleeping bag at 9.1 litres thats 21.5 litres
Add change of clothing, Poncho, woolly hat, gloves, camp-slippers, washing kit, gaiters, headlamp, radio, GPS,  5 days food*, 2 litres of water, cooking equipment, solar battery charger, large 1st aid kit assorted bits & pieces and it all mounts up in volume.

* Yes - 5 days food is excessive but because of my diabetes I need to ensure that should anything happen, I have sufficient food to maintain a reasonable diet for a couple of 'emergency days' - I cannot rely on just Mars bars and Mint cake. If I am going for 1 day/ night I would take 3 days food, if going for 3 days/nights I'd take 5 days food. My 2-Day ration box weighs in at 1.2kgs, provides 2000Kcal per day and takes up 2 litres of space.

We all make choices, and by doing things 'your way' you are happy and able to use a 48 litre bag, my choice of contents results in requiring a 65 litre pack.
I have my 25 litre pack, ready and packed for 2 day/night trips but it would not offer the comfort levels of camping I get from the 'stuff' in my 'big-bag'.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy