Author Topic: Track recording device  (Read 4760 times)

dank86

Re: Track recording device
« Reply #30 on: 19:03:23, 07/06/18 »
Regarding smart phones, I've left my old one in extreme power saver mode, can still make calls, texts, access OS maps app when I need and 3 days on and it's at 50% battery

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 21:21:28, 07/06/18 »
A garmin etrex10 probably comes closest to uour needs. Battery life of 22 hours is likely if you don’t want to twiddle with too many of the features while walking.
It's all uphill from here.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 10:43:27, 08/06/18 »
I'm very tempted to use an old smartphone and turn it into a dedicated hiking tool. What does that mean, no idea really, recently read a headline suggesting that people should have a go at things like thgis, a decicated juke box was the other suggestion. I must look it up on Google, finding a new use for an old but working phone seems a good idea? Or is it?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 11:40:37, 08/06/18 »
Nothing wrong with that plan.  I carry an old phone with viewranger, no SIM, for that exact purpose although in my case it's a backup to my other phone as well which is itself a backup to my GPS as I don't carry paper maps  O0
Where there's a will ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 08:20:04, 09/06/18 »
Nothing wrong with that plan.  I carry an old phone with viewranger, no SIM, for that exact purpose although in my case it's a backup to my other phone.
I bought a really cheap large screen phone which I use,normally.Like Sussamb, no sim. On my normal phone I have all the trails etc. but have everything bar phone and text shut down. That can then be used as my third line of backup.I have been using my large phone more and more and my old Garmin (EBOG bargainbuy) is slowly being relegated. I carry paper maps but have not used them in nearly 1500 miles now. They are my life jacket. Oh and I use Viewranger. Solar charger makes me less worried about battery usage.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy