Author Topic: Hi from Orkney  (Read 183 times)

richardh1905

Hi from Orkney
« on: 10:37:56, 12/06/18 »

Hi all; I've recently taken early retirement and am getting back into walking and the outdoors; hopefully I've still got as few decades left in me!

I've been in Orkney for 17 years now, having previously spent a similar amount of time living in Snowdonia. Orkney is a wonderful place to live and bring up a family, but I do miss the higher mountains, despite frequent forays 'Sooth' to see family. And I do miss trees!

I've done a fair bit of hillwalking in the past, in Snowdonia, the Lakes and the Dales, and in the Highlands; my most difficult walk being the Welsh 3000s. Longest walk was from Swansea to Conwy, and I do enjoy a bit of wild camping, whether it be in Torridon or on the local cliff tops here in Orkney. In my youth I also visited the Alps and Pyrenees, but I'm no climber!.

Best walk so far this year - a toss up between a solo trip up Fairfield in the snow in February, which left me feeling euphoric, and a family day trip to the island of Hoy, where we climbed Cuilags and visited the St John's Head cliffs before descending to Britain's most northerly native woodland, Berriedale. A grand day out.

Next planned trip - an overnight foray into the mountains around Glen Feshie, on my way south to pick up my son from college in Glasgow. Roll on Friday!

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: Hi from Orkney
« Reply #1 on: 17:04:55, 13/06/18 »
Hi Richard and welcome from the Peak District O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

richardh1905

« Reply #2 on: 17:51:44, 13/06/18 »
Thanks Tracey; been many years since I've been on "old Kinder Scout and the moors round about"

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:31:13, 14/06/18 »
Hi Richard. That's a coincidence, I was talking to a friend the other day, he lives on Orkney, and he invited me up there for a holiday. Ian and Christine love it there. [/size]All being well I shall be going in early September. Wouldn't it be a coincidence if we were to bump into each other.  ;D

Ilona

richardh1905

« Reply #4 on: 06:07:18, 15/06/18 »

Hi Richard. That's a coincidence, I was talking to a friend the other day, he lives on Orkney, and he invited me up there for a holiday. Ian and Christine love it there. [/size]All being well I shall be going in early September. Wouldn't it be a coincidence if we were to bump into each other.  ;D

Ilona

You'll enjoy Orkney, Ilona; some great walking on the coast of Mainland Orkney, and on the island of Hoy.

I particularly recommend this walk as a grand day out - https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/orkney/st-johns-head.shtml - you can do it from Stromness, travelling on the Graemsay ferry as a foot passenger.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:34:41, 15/06/18 »
That looks really good, thanks for the link. My friend Ian has a web site and has written a bit about how he came to live there. If you are interested in classic cars and bikes, and cycling, you might like to browse the rest of it.
http://www.stallard-engineering.co.uk/stories/other/From%20the%20Old%20Byre.htm

ilona