Author Topic: Hey up. Another C2C plan.  (Read 3362 times)

andybr

Re: Hey up. Another C2C plan.
« Reply #15 on: 13:50:24, 18/06/18 »
The railway track route is certainly doable but it is quite rough and stoney in places and I find it quite uncomfortable underfoot. A bigger consideration might be where you go after you have climbed up from Dale Head Farm. If you are planning to cross the area around Loose Howe you should be aware that it consists of a vast bog which can be a complete nightmare. A quick search for Lyke Wake crossing reports will provide a large selection of horror stories.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 14:49:15, 18/06/18 »
Cheers. Given all the comments I think I'll skip the railway idea  O0
Where there's a will ...

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 15:12:49, 18/06/18 »
Not sure if this is of help to anyone but we stayed at Lovesome Hill Farm at Oaktree Hill which from what I remember is about 16 or 17 miles from Richmond. We were B&B but they definitely have a bunk barn and I think you can camp there.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 16:50:38, 18/06/18 »
Not sure if this is of help to anyone but we stayed at Lovesome Hill Farm at Oaktree Hill which from what I remember is about 16 or 17 miles from Richmond. We were B&B but they definitely have a bunk barn and I think you can camp there.

I stayed here in 2014 as there was no room at Danby Wiske. I had a very long day from Grinton Lodge including the A1 diversion so the extra couple of miles of road after the White Swan weren't good on the feet.

The bunk barn is £13, bedding and breakfast is extra if required. I don't remember anything about camping but if you wanted to camp, you might as well do it at the White Swan in Danby Wiske (handy for meals)
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 00:02:20, 19/06/18 »
Thanks folks
"From Osmotherley YHA it is only about 19 miles to the Lion if you cut up the lane past the reservoir and the start of the LWW to join the C2C route as it drops to the road.".... Seriously thinking about this, on my OS map thingy, I get it to just under 20.  Thing is, when I tried to book the YHA for my dates next year, it said no spaces?  Cote Garth Campsite is relatively expensive, although still much cheaper than a B&B.
"If you can do these distances; why just do Reeth to Richmond? It is a 4 hr walk"  The reason I'm trying to keep the distances down is because I don't think I can do 20 miles in a day.  (definitely not at the moment, although I am "in training")  I don't walk, I stroll, or more accurately..... dawdle.  I have the massive advantage of living in Richmond, I'm going to walk from Reeth, straight through, and the hubby is going to pick me up from wherever I've collapsed at.
Thanks for the comment about Lovesome Hill, I have looked at that, but it is on the wrong side of Osmotherly,

I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to split Osmotherly/Blakey Ridge stretch and stay somewhere around Clay Bank.   We'll see.  :) :)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 06:53:29, 19/06/18 »
YHA booking can be a pain as they don't release accommodation until closer to the time in the hope they get a block booking, that's why currently it'll be saying no vacancies. I had the same issue last year when booking Pennine Way accommodation.
Where there's a will ...

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 22:13:29, 19/06/18 »
Thankyou Sussamb O0 O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy