Author Topic: Parrots in Blackburn  (Read 2008 times)

Walkbuddy

Parrots in Blackburn
« on: 12:26:10, 07/08/18 »
Hello all

I don't walk as far as I once could so it's mostly countryside near Blackburn for me these days.

I am almost certain I saw a family of parrots(or similar) near the centre. Am I imagining it or did I really see them?

Many thanks

redeye

• Veteran Member
Re: Parrots in Blackburn
« Reply #1 on: 12:33:02, 07/08/18 »
Probably did see them as they seem to be everywhere these days. Not huge flocks like you get in London but they have been steadily moving north over the last few years. Although they are good to see they are treated as vermin along with grey squirrels as they can cause a lot of damage to property.

RonniesRambles

« Reply #2 on: 12:36:26, 07/08/18 »
I thought my eyes were deceiving me a few weeks ago and I am still not fully sure that they were not. But coming across this has got me wondering. My cousin Stuart informed me of seeing one near the falls of falloch last year as well. Does anyone know if they are able to breed successfully in the wild in Britain!?

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:48:16, 07/08/18 »

Walkbuddy

« Reply #4 on: 12:56:04, 07/08/18 »
They came very close. They weren't afraid of me at all I don't think.

Given the damage they can cause should we be worried about their growing numbers?

Ralph

« Reply #5 on: 13:10:22, 07/08/18 »
We have several around Nottingham, numbers climbing slowly.

Walkbuddy

« Reply #6 on: 13:18:03, 07/08/18 »
Soon they will be everywhere it seems! It's all very worrying really.

From what redeye has said our domestic species may suffer and our property could be damaged if numbers continue to grow.

They are very beautiful, it's a shame they are so destructive.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:35:29, 07/08/18 »

In Kent / Sussex they have 'Parrot Shooting' days - like Pheasant days but smaller.

They really are a pest and breeding like rabbits - the only way to keep them down seems to be shooting.

An article from a couple of years ago :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3764383/Should-cull-squawking-parakeets-50-000-threatening-British-birds-gobbling-crops-breeding-like-crazy.html

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:38:28, 07/08/18 »
Anyone on the C2C has a chance of seeing parrots in Kirkby Stephen, especially macaws which have been free flying for years now.  http://www.walkeden.org/Walking/The-macaws.aspx
Solvitur Ambulando

Walkbuddy

« Reply #9 on: 13:39:52, 07/08/18 »
Shooting them seems cruel. It must be serious if they have allowed people to go to those lengths.

They are very intelligent and live for 100 years. If they did grow to unmanageable numbers the outcome could be catastrophic.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:21:29, 07/08/18 »
Anyone on the C2C has a chance of seeing parrots in Kirkby Stephen, especially macaws which have been free flying for years now.  http://www.walkeden.org/Walking/The-macaws.aspx

Yes, I remember my first c2c getting into Kirkby Stephen and having a couple of drinks (as you do) after a long wet day from Shap and going outside and hearing Macaws and thinking I was imagining it....thank gooness for Google  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Walkbuddy

« Reply #11 on: 15:28:34, 07/08/18 »
I thought I had forgotten to take my medication!

I shouldn't joke because I did have a similar incident about 5 years ago. This time it was definitely real parrots.

I've been reading about them all afternoon. Fascinating beasts.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy