Author Topic: advice on Packing a tent away  (Read 1687 times)

tenmilesplus

advice on Packing a tent away
« on: 12:37:05, 18/08/18 »
Hiya all...

I have got my tent out to find a small cut which I suspect is a result of a crease from when I last packed it away, I have used seem sealer to glue the repair but I was wondering, is there a safe way of folding or rolling or packing a tent away ? I have got a Jack Wolfskin Gossamer 1 man tent and the material seems quite delicate, also I have only used it in the garden so far, I have no confidence to take it out in the field yet.. I am a Camping / tent virgin.. Hence the question..

Thanks..
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

mananddog

• Veteran Member
Re: advice on Packing a tent away
« Reply #1 on: 12:42:01, 18/08/18 »
Each time I pack my tent I roll it up rather than fold it. Repeated folding in the same crease  could increase the stress on the same point. I ma not too careful in the way I roll it trusting to random rolling so it is slightly different each time. It sounds a bit unusual to get damage like you describe - How old is the tent?

dank86

« Reply #2 on: 12:51:46, 18/08/18 »
I try not to fold along the same lines then roll, stuffing is also a good technique

zuludog

« Reply #3 on: 12:58:04, 18/08/18 »
I have a canvas Vango Force 10 tent that's quite old, and 3 nylon tents
With all of them I lay them down lengthways; fold them to a suitable width for the bag, then roll them up, usually tying them first with a couple of lengths of cord.
They're still OK, with no signs of wear, but I try to fold them so I don't always get the fold or crease in the same position

A couple of months ago I bought an MSR Hubba tent, and the fabric is much thinner and more slippery  than my nylon tents. I shove this randomly into the bag, as you do with a sleeping bag. Admittedly I've only had the tent a few months, but it doesn't seem to be doing it any harm
Makes it easier to pack up in the morning, too

Ralph

« Reply #4 on: 12:59:28, 18/08/18 »
Have you considered taking it back to Wolfskin  and showing them the tear, sounds as though it's hardly used. Just a thought.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:01:34, 18/08/18 »
I was told that you use a stuff sack to stuff things in, easy even for me to learn that. So I never fold anything that goes into a stuff sack.
I have acquired enough stuff sacks now so that I don't use other type of bag, except for my first aid/ hygiene bag, which is a ziplock.

« Last Edit: 19:07:29, 18/08/18 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

tenmilesplus

« Reply #6 on: 18:59:54, 18/08/18 »
Have you considered taking it back to Wolfskin  and showing them the tear, sounds as though it's hardly used. Just a thought.

Hiya Ralph, great name that, I have an Uncle Ralph in Canada and my mates favourite cat was called Ralph, Great name..

Anyway the tent isn't old, I bought it Nov 2017 and this was only the second time I erected it. I bought it mail order from My Outdoor Store in Banbury.. I have been on the Jack Wolfskin web site and as far as I could find the tent is no longer there.. I don't know either company so I have no idea if they would be interested in looking or weather they would want me to send the tent away but I have stuck the rip now with seam sealer on both sides so it isn't visible now anyway..

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 00:06:08, 19/08/18 »
Fold and roll for me (but my tent isn't a backpacking tent).

tenmilesplus

« Reply #8 on: 23:12:07, 15/10/18 »
Mel

Your tent gets a lot of use too so you must be doing something right...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:21:10, 16/10/18 »
I store my tent in an old Victorian style trunk, which my sister in law discarded 30 years ago. I think she bought it from John Lewis or similar. In those days it was a trendy piece of furniture to have in ones lounge, so when she got fed up with it I aquired it. I just lay my tent in it, squish it up a bit so there are no folds and it works fine. I also store my sleeping quilt and my Neo Air mattress there as well. One of my better ideas!

Rajboy

« Reply #10 on: 23:26:32, 16/10/18 »
Hang all shelters/tents/Inners etc on a rail with carabiners, when not in use..prevents creases and later weaknesses from developing.
Behind a curtain away from UV light so no deterioration.
Never stored a tent in its stuffsac...ever..... ::)

tenmilesplus

« Reply #11 on: 23:29:05, 16/10/18 »
The only space I have for this is the loft, I can't imagine the loft is the right atmosphere to keep a tent..

astaman

« Reply #12 on: 09:37:06, 17/10/18 »
I bought some of those plastic storage boxes they sell in supermarkets. The come in various sizes including the size of a small suitcase. If I'm putting a tent away for a while I unpack it, dry it thoroughly and put it in there along with bag, poles, pegs, etc. I don't fit the lids on tightly so as to allow any condensation to evaporate. It keeps everything together and easy to access when needed. I'm lucky in that I have the room to store these things in a dry place. This works well. In fact, I'm going to buy some more to store other camping gear like cooking kit and so forth that can go in the garage.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy