Author Topic: Hill walking harder than walking on level.  (Read 2337 times)

Kmo86

Hill walking harder than walking on level.
« on: 15:24:51, 28/09/18 »
yesterday I did a 10 mile hill walk in hope valley, with a group I go to. This is to build up to the 3 Yorkshire peaks hopefully. The man who runs group doesn’t believe I’d manage the 3 Yorkshire peaks more cos he doesn’t think I’d manage it fast enough than not thinking I’d be capable.

He expected me to struggle with yesterday’s walk, I expected to manage fine. Well who turned out to be right? Sadly him. The first 4-5 mile were constant up hill and uneven which didn’t help with my balance. Even after first mile I was finding it tough. There was no way I was quitting. After about 2 mile with very brief break it was finally too much for me I felt dizzy and had to sit down. Hated the fact that it was me struggling most and holding everyone up. We had already all been asked if we wanted to go back so of course I was asked again by the man who organised it. I think he knew my answer before asking. No chance was I going back now or ever. As soon as I said no he focused on making sure I was ok to continue encouraging me to eat chocolate bar in hope it would make me feel better. He was keen to get going again to catch up to rest of group. So I was probably on limited time before he decided I needed to go back. Luckily I felt ok to carry on after finishing a small chocolate bar which the man thinks is the main reason I felt better. I managed rest of walk ok.

Few questions. Can going up hills too fast make you feel dizzy? I’ve ran up some hills and been ok so can how high up hills are effect how you feel this was in hope valley so are hills there really high enough to effect how you feel? Could the chocolate bar have made me feel better? When I’ve felt dizzy before I have felt better after a few min normally after laying down which I knew was best avoided yesterday considering me sitting down worried everyone more than enough. I think it would have been me being forced to go back if I had layed down. I think I did feel better quicker yesterday than before.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Hill walking harder than walking on level.
« Reply #1 on: 16:46:00, 28/09/18 »
There are no hills in the UK  anywhere near high enough to have an effect on you from height alone.  If you severely over exert yourself you can feel dizzy  and/or sick.  Pushing hard uphill will certainly do that especially if you are unfit or unused to protracted exertion. Resting and taking on board sugar/fat in the form of chocolate will supply the energy you need to recover and a chance to get your breath back but obviously this limits your rate of advance.
Try snacking as you go on something like trail mix.  This will help you maintain energy levels on the march.  Also, do not let yourself dehydrate, sip water as you go as well. When climbing hills, step shorter and go at a pace that makes you breathe hard but still allows you to have a conversation.  Trekking poles will help too as you can use your arms as added propulsion.
Unsurprisingly, the 3 peaks has 3 protracted climbs and the distance between each climb is such that you will have to push on  between them to complete the route in daylight so the ability to keep going without too many rest stops is essential.
TBH if you needed a break after 2 miles i'm afraid the man is right about your fitness for the 3 peaks.  Have a look at the profile here
https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=qbxjvdnehfewqpaf
In round terms you will have to do what you did yesterday, 3 times over with even more climbing.
« Last Edit: 17:04:05, 28/09/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

dav

« Reply #2 on: 17:17:46, 28/09/18 »
You managed the walk in the end. The fact that you felt better after the chocolate could indicate that your blood sugar was low, but after only two mile it's most likely that your fitness level is too low for much hill walking.Two hours before a walk you must eat good carbohydrate food, that will give you an energy reserve for a few miles, top that up on the move with energy bars and the like, a banana has good potasium content, cashew nuts are high in calories and don't firget to stay hydrated, drink 500 mls energy drink before starting off, then drink to thirst while walking. Hills are always going to be harder than on the flat, the only way for them to get easier is to walk them regularly, it takes time, a lot of time. The 3 Peaks ascents are quite short by comparrison to those in the Lakes or Scotland, but they are sharp and with the distance in between you have to be fit to complete the route in a reasonable time. The ascent of Ingleborough and the descent of Whernside are particularly steep.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:45:44, 28/09/18 »
Take the advice given. These two know what's what.
However you did finish, so give yourself a huge pat on the back.You need to walk yourself some hill legs, but clearly your mind is strong enough, else you would have packed in.
Just be careful not to get overconfident. Get used to getting your heart rate up high on a regular basis, the heart is a muscle and needs exercise.  (having undergone cardiac rehabilitation I can assure you the physios really push you hard).  Get  out there climbing the steepest hill you live close. I have a one close to me that I go up and down a few times in succession as there aren't that many in Lincolnshire.

Again well done.
Too little, too late, too bad......

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:52:51, 28/09/18 »
………... I have a one close to me that I go up and down a few times in succession as there aren't that many in Lincolnshire.

Again well done.

I went out for a 10 mile 'mooch' t'other day and on looking at the GPS track history my TOTAL ascent for the 10 miles was 29 feet.
I think that was the molehills I diverted to, to get some 'hill practice'.

Kmo86

« Reply #5 on: 18:33:23, 28/09/18 »
Thanks for the replies. Yea quitting was never going to happen it has been me wanting to do these hill walks in hope of doing the 3 Yorkshire peaks. I had looked forward to this walk over 2 month so there was no chance at all of me being conscious and not doing it. Also if I had had to go back it would have been the most boring day just waiting for others to finish and travel back. I think the group is going to do more walks like this as they felt it was a good thing for everyone.

I think I learnt more for struggling yesterday and I think it mite of put mans mind at rest more about me not pushing myself too much rather than admitting I was struggling. Before yesterday he had joked that I would still be saying I’m fine and can manage if I collapsed obviously yesterday proved him wrong in that way. Also managing another 8 mile after definitely helped show what I can manage.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:59:05, 28/09/18 »
It is difficult to comment on your problems without knowing your age, health and any pre-existing conditions but I would strongly recommend you seek your GP's advice. Going up hills too quickly or if you are unfit is more likely to make you breathless than dizzy. Dizziness could be due to all sorts of things which could need attention and could lead to falls resulting in injuries etc. It is not fair to lumber your companions with the responsibility if you have an underlying problem. Please see your GP just in case.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:42:43, 28/09/18 »
I am guessing you are younger than many on this forum.  As long as you are healthy. The younger you are the faster you will be able to get walk fit.  Walking 20+ miles over the Yorkshire Moors is no walk in the park.  But the hardest part, if you have not walked hard for 7 hours before, is getting your head around it.  As others have said, if you can find a local hill. It doesn't need to be that huge. Then the boring part. Make time to walk up and down it and push your self hard.  Trainng is often boring, but if you really want to achieve something like the 3 peaks then be sure it is the best feeling in the world when you reach your goal. O0

Kmo86

« Reply #8 on: 00:41:50, 29/09/18 »
I’m thinking it could have been cos I hadn’t eaten that morning. I’m used to eating when hungry or when others do. Especially the sweet stuff chocolate, cakes etc. I eat too much of them not enough to cause problems but definitely not lacking them. The fact I felt better near enough straight away after eating a bit of chocolate makes me think I probably just needed some extra sugar as I ended up rushing last bit to carry on with walk.

I will be talking to man who organised it next week to see what the plans for future walks are. I think we will actually agree on more now at least.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:43:53, 29/09/18 »
Sounds like you had a pretty good day out all told then, you learnt a bit about yourself and a bit about hiking up hills (not like walking in the park as you note  :) ) Keep up with the training, increase your distance and effort gradually, fuel properly and you should be 3 peaks fit in due course. Keep it up! O0

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:55:17, 03/10/18 »
I’m thinking it could have been cos I hadn’t eaten that morning. I’m used to eating when hungry or when others do. Especially the sweet stuff chocolate, cakes etc. I eat too much of them not enough to cause problems but definitely not lacking them. The fact I felt better near enough straight away after eating a bit of chocolate makes me think I probably just needed some extra sugar as I ended up rushing last bit to carry on with walk.

I will be talking to man who organised it next week to see what the plans for future walks are. I think we will actually agree on more now at least.

Cut the cakes, eat more porridge before hikes, and certainly don't skip breakfast.  Do some general cardio fitness, walking on the flat is not enough, you need to be making yourself out of breath to actually make your heart stronger.  Some of the other posters are being very kind, but 'the man', if he is the one organising, is probably considering whether your fitness will force the others to abort their three peaks attempt if you need longer periods of rest.  Be realistic and use your stubborn streak to instill some discipline to your training, not just to 'prove him wrong' but to give yourself a better level of fitness. 

Edit: without any information on age or fitness, it is difficult to say for sure, but consider a doctor's appointment if you are in otherwise good shape - it could be an underlying condition you need to be aware of.

Kmo86

« Reply #11 on: 18:58:41, 03/10/18 »
Well based on today’s conversation with the man there will be no longer hill walks. I sort of expected that but not about to give in not being stupid and stubborn either. I understand him being responsible means he was probably more worried than I first thought. He has said he will still do the same length walk again and maybe one of the 3 peaks. So still do things I will find challenging but that he feels more comfortable with me managing. So that is the boost I need to make sure I manage better next time and hopefully have chance of longer walks after I show I can manage easier.

My balance needs to improve as well as practice on hills. Plan now is go to local place near me with small hills and steps and practice there and record it on an app on my phone so the man can see to show him i am trying to improve my ability on hills also will be eating at least something before any hill walks in future.

MichaelUK

« Reply #12 on: 13:57:18, 04/10/18 »
Dont know how far you live away from the peaks but you could try spending a day walking each of the peaks over a period of weeks. They are hard individually, multiply  by 3 then add some is tough going. I did the three in May this year for my 60th birthday. Discovered I dont like scrambling; I know I dont have a head for heights either. Coming down Whernside I felt I was taking my life in my hands, didnt like it at all. The same going up Inglebough, would have turned back. Im reasonably fit and my legs were shaking by the time I got up Whernside as I was pushing myself hard. Did them all under 9 hours.
As many have said get those hill miles into your legs and it will get easier

Kmo86

« Reply #13 on: 19:56:35, 16/10/18 »
Well after a brief mention about the hill walks today I’m feeling more optimistic on still getting to aim towards 3 Yorkshire peaks. I pointed out to the man he had said he was willing to do another same distance hill walk and asked if I can manage the next one much better would he consider doing longer hill walks. He didn’t say definite yes or no as in wait to see how it goes then decide. Which to be fair is what I hoped. Also before I could mention the bit about doing longer walks he said he’d organise the next 10 miler early next year which is what I was hoping for.

Anyway I need to focus on making sure I do manage the next one better. Going to talk to him about it tomorrow see if he can suggest how I can help myself and also mention I’d like to do the next one as a sponsor event to raise money for the charity he runs as a thank you to him.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:05:24, 16/10/18 »
I just want to echo the advice of getting a good breakfast. Time and again I get people in the hills who fade because they haven't eaten properly. Heck, I've done it myself in the past and come to regret it - big wobbly and almost keeling over until someone gave me a lot of jam to eat.
The other times I've been dizzy going up a hill have been when I've seriously pushed it running/walking. You'd know if it was that because your heart would have been jumping out your neck.
Of course, not a doctor so there could be other reasons.

Anyway, my advice would be:
1. Eat well before going out. Don't overlook a good fry-up. Seriously, lots of carbs and fat for slow release energy, some protein, salts for electrolytes, and i cant remember the name but egg yolks have something that helps your muscles avoid fatigue.
2. A lot can be done to train even without proper hills. Go up and down stairs a lot. Get in the habit of walking fast everywhere. Interval train by putting in bursts of top speed into your walls every few minutes. Do step ups on a box or low stool while watching TV. Squat against a wall, knees at 90 degrees and thighs parallel to the ground for as long as you can (a few minutes is impressive). Stand on one leg and then as slowly as you can raise onto tip-toes then lower back down. Yoga tree position. Deliberately seek out rough tracks to walk, full of rocks, divots or tree roots.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy