Author Topic: To wax or to polish?  (Read 7413 times)

Ronin83

To wax or to polish?
« on: 23:47:59, 30/09/18 »
I isuallu use meindl sportwax on leather boots.
I have some haix boots now, but haix themselves advise not to use wax as it "can damage high quality leather and ruin it's breathability."
They are adamant that their boots should be treated with polish and that it will nourish the leather.
Btw, Haix are a very high quality German boot maker who make boots for firefighters, military, workers and hikers(for those who don't know).

Thoughts?

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Re: To wax or to polish?
« Reply #1 on: 08:00:18, 01/10/18 »
I find it hard to imagine that they've come up with a polish that doesn't involve wax.

But I think they're right that waxes and oils harm the breathability of leather. It's bound to. But then sopping wet leather isn't breathable either

Ronin83

« Reply #2 on: 08:39:40, 01/10/18 »
https://youtu.be/_x6TOha-5hI

It suggests the polish should be silicone based?

Ronin83

« Reply #3 on: 08:48:13, 01/10/18 »
This is on their site. It seems to promote creams?

Caring for your shoes using waterproofing sprays and shoe cream[/color]
When caring for all types of leather, you should only use conventional non-greasy shoe creams and impregnation agents or products that have been recommended by HAIX. Do not use dubbing or oil. Textile upper materials are best treated by using a waterproof spray. However, such impregnation agents will tend to dry out leather if used alone. Leather can become cracked and hard if shoe cream is not used. Applying cream to the creased part of the tongue will also help to remove the squeaky sounds that may occur with hydrophobised leather. This will also provide metal parts (rings, hooks etc.) with additional protection against oxidisation.  

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:19:21, 01/10/18 »
I'm pretty sure any product (wax or otherwise) which states it is suitable for use on smooth leather with a Gore-Tex lining would be fine to use and that includes Meindl Sportwax.

You can't blame a company for trying to promote their own very overpriced own brand stuff can you?  ;D

If you believe it definitely has to be silicone based you could look at Scarpa's HS12 Cream https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/scarpa-hs12-cream-p215700
I suppose it comes down to the costs for the Haix polish against what else is available out there?

Rather be walking

« Reply #5 on: 11:30:42, 01/10/18 »
I used Dubbin, G-Wax but I settled on Nikwax these days.

Jon.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:55:49, 03/10/18 »
Just to add more confusion. I read on Zamberlan's website: "Silicone-based and other non-approved treatments can clog the pores of the membrane, which will cause them to stop breathing and will also invalidate your GORE-TEX warranty."

So if boot makers are to be believied, waxes block the leather and silicone blocks the liner. You can't win.

Ronin83

« Reply #7 on: 16:10:40, 03/10/18 »
Just to add more confusion. I read on Zamberlan's website: "Silicone-based and other non-approved treatments can clog the pores of the membrane, which will cause them to stop breathing and will also invalidate your GORE-TEX warranty."

So if boot makers are to be believied, waxes block the leather and silicone blocks the liner. You can't win.
[/quote/)

For woden's sake. It just gets better ay?

I don't think its about selling overpriced treatments cos they're not that expensive anyway really.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:44:02, 03/10/18 »
I wonder if anyone has actually done any science to find out or if it is all just conjecture?
Solvitur Ambulando

Ronin83

« Reply #9 on: 20:35:12, 03/10/18 »
So annoying. Their own brand stuff isn't that expensive so I find it hard to believe it's all just a sales ploy.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:31:06, 04/10/18 »
So annoying. Their own brand stuff isn't that expensive so I find it hard to believe it's all just a sales ploy.

My guess would be that it's probably more to do with the way the leather they use is tanned and finished during manufacture. They are possibly impregnating it with silicon in the process? I know Scarpa do something similar with their more expensive leathers for improved waterproofing hence their recommendation to use HS12 Cream.

Can't find any info on Haix's website re leather and can't find an email address on their UK site but they do have a Live Chat or phone service available so it might be worth asking them the question.

Prices for the Haix Shoe Polish aren't that expensive on their own but it works out at almost £10 for a 75ml tube once you add on the delivery charges. It wouldn't be too bad if you have somewhere local that sells the Haix polish and you can collect some.

KimE

« Reply #11 on: 18:20:51, 04/10/18 »

[font=] "can damage high quality leather and ruin it's breathability."
[font=]

[font=]A wax with a high fat/grease content fills the leather so its goretexlayer breaths less.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:25:25, 04/10/18 »

Haix are a very high quality German boot maker who make boots for firefighters, military, workers and hikers(for those who don't know).
Thoughts?

I work for the fire service and we use Kiwi boot polish.  Yep.  A simple little tin of black boot polish. 

It's all marketing guff this "it is recommended you use our speshal brand of proprietary wax harvested from bees pollinating the flowers in the lost city of atlantis otherwise your boots will fall apart and you'll die".

Complete and utter nonsense and poppycock.

Ronin83

« Reply #13 on: 23:15:29, 04/10/18 »

I work for the fire service and we use Kiwi boot polish.  Yep.  A simple little tin of black boot polish. 

It's all marketing guff this "it is recommended you use our speshal brand of proprietary wax harvested from bees pollinating the flowers in the lost city of atlantis otherwise your boots will fall apart and you'll die".

Complete and utter nonsense and poppycock.

Well I did see something from haix about the lost art of boot polishing, I'll try and find it. It's funny how we've gone from polishing boots to being told not to use polish or dubbin and now the polish is making a return.

They're brown btw

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:14:08, 05/10/18 »
I was told many years ago how to apply wax to leather, from a friend of my late father.
His friend had been an officer in the Guards, and i will never forget the mirror like sheen on his shoes.
By what i can remember, you apply very small amounts of polish, with a damp very warm cloth, and then build up the mirror finish.

I always prefer to use a good quality polish than a wax, because using too much wax dry's out the leather, i discovered that on an old pair of Brasher Hillmasters.

The leather lost its suppleness and dried out too quickly with a wax, leading to premature cracking of the leather around the toe area, so a good quality shoe polish i found to be a lot better.

I suppose you can use whatever product you find that works best, but Turtle shoe polish is my favourite.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy