Author Topic: Mileage - how do you measure yours?  (Read 5557 times)

pleb

• Veteran Member
Re: Mileage - how do you measure yours?
« Reply #15 on: 11:12:33, 03/10/18 »
I dont measure it. Never have.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 11:22:24, 03/10/18 »
Nearly always nowadays I go out with a specific route in mind, and usually stick to it reasonably closely. I don't plan in minute detail, but do know I'll be doing about 6, about 8 miles...whatever.

Assuming walk goes roughly to plan...if anybody asks mileage I did...I'll just say "about 6" or whatever.

If there's a major deviation ...and I'm out a hour or three longer than expected...then I'll add a couple of miles for each extra hour to the guess.

The year I did challenge myself to do a thousand miles, I took a bit more care...turning on GPS for entire walk (unless I was very sure of route and its mileage) and going on GPS distance. And basically I only counted walks where I put full walking kit on and did 6 miles upwards...I didn't count walking a couple of miles to the shop, stuff like that.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 11:57:52, 03/10/18 »
I use Outdoors GB as a gps app but not that much, just for the occasional position check and I will already know the mileage. To be honest I don’t get hung up on mileage I just enjoy the walk and the company of swmbo and the dog.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 12:26:43, 03/10/18 »
I use Viewranger or Wainwright guides or measuring with a bit of string with a mile marker every 2.5 inches on an OS map for the mileage.

But surely people publishing their mileage on the 1000 mile challenge thread you should be trying to measure it accurately? If you just keep track of your mileage for your own information then I agree, so long as you are consistent year on year, it doesn’t matter but then why publish it?

If you are referring to the mileage thread on here, I didn't realise this was the 1000 mile challenge thread?  :-\ I have never totted up my mileage for the year before, when I saw this thread I started doing it just to see how many miles we would end up walking in a year. I am not challenging myself or anything, perhaps we shouldn't be recording it on the thread?
Hate will never win

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 12:54:41, 03/10/18 »
I didn't think the Mileage 2018 thread was a 1000 mile challenge log either  :-\

Wasn't it inspired by Country Walking's walk1000miles project thing that they do?  Isn't it in the Long Distance Walks board because 2017's log was in there?  I never did "get" why that was though!

Maybe next year's should be called "Mileage 2019 Log" and just totally omit the word challenge or 1,000 miles to avoid confusion  O0

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 13:53:17, 03/10/18 »
Maybe next year's should be called "Mileage 2019 Log" and just totally omit the word challenge or 1,000 miles to avoid confusion  O0
I beat you to it Mel, the current thread is 'Mileage 2018' as I am not going to do 1000 miles.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 14:01:10, 03/10/18 »
Good idea.  Let's also differentiate between walking a long distance and long distance walking.
Solvitur Ambulando

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 14:01:49, 03/10/18 »

I'm sure that I read earlier in this thread that the piece of string for measuring had markers every 2.5 inches....I would guess that each marker on the string would be every 2.5 cms. :) for the conversion of  cms into miles. Probably just a typing error.
Maybe also easier to alter the 1,000 mile thing to 1,610 kilometres....them to just count up the grid squares....my own way for a rough distance for each walking trip.
Maybe most folks on the off-shore island have their GPS things set for 'old money'?  :)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 14:07:39, 03/10/18 »

Maybe most folks on the off-shore island have their GPS things set for 'old money'?  :)

Not me - makes the sums too hard.
OS map is metric, my speed on the flat on good good going = 5kph, on harder going = 4kph, grid squares  = 1km.
I plan and walk in metric and only convert to old money on the spreadsheet afterwards just out of curiosity.
Extra benefit; kms go by faster than miles.
Solvitur Ambulando

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 14:10:21, 03/10/18 »
Usually don't bother, I tend to take a look at the terrain and figure out what I'll be able to complete based on that - the distance is more a rough 'total' at the end of my plan to make sure I don't over do it.  Viewranger tracking is convenient but often forget to turn it on, don't find it especially useful other than as a guide for what difference distances and terrains 'feel like'. 

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 14:12:36, 03/10/18 »

Extra benefit; kms go by faster than miles.
So that's the secret of how  to walk faster.

Mel, you and I need to go metric by the look of it.😅��😁
Too little, too late, too bad......

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 14:57:14, 03/10/18 »
I know you have Ridge.  It’s all there in your first post of that topic  :)

Ninthace – top and bottom of it is, it’s just a log that people can set their personal mileage goal and update their progress along the way.  It wasn’t ever set up to be a challenge or competition as far as I’m aware (not even in the past … I think it’s been running since 2010 in some way, shape or form).

Jimbob – no chance for me.  I’d have to change my blog name for starters  ;D

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 16:25:31, 03/10/18 »
But surely people publishing their mileage on the 1000 mile challenge thread you should be trying to measure it accurately? If you just keep track of your mileage for your own information then I agree, so long as you are consistent year on year, it doesn’t matter but then why publish it? As you say, it is not a competition.

Does it really matter, ninthace? I'm quite happy to 'guestimate' if I'm not sure.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 16:39:15, 03/10/18 »
I know you have Ridge.  It’s all there in your first post of that topic  :)

Ninthace – top and bottom of it is, it’s just a log that people can set their personal mileage goal and update their progress along the way.  It wasn’t ever set up to be a challenge or competition as far as I’m aware (not even in the past … I think it’s been running since 2010 in some way, shape or form).

Jimbob – no chance for me.  I’d have to change my blog name for starters  ;D

To be fair Mel, the original question was simply how do people measure and what is it they measure?  It sort of drifted from there.  I'm sorry i referred to it as a 1000 mile challenge thread in later posts - that was me seeing it as a rollover from previous years and getting carried away.
My point is that any mileage list invites comparison.  I was intrigued to know what the data represented in terms of quality of walking and how accurate it was. For example, anyone with a dog could easily rack up over 700 miles a year just exercising it whereas someone else could do a few LDWs to produce a similar mileage.  To me, one is a walk, the other is a Walk. Does it matter?  I don't know.  As I said, I only record Walks but that is self imposed rule to restrict my spreadsheet to the things that matter to me.  At the end of the year I know how many trips I did, how far I went, roughly how much ascent and total time spent walking. It allows me to see how i am going as I get longer in the tooth but it is no interest to anyone else..

Richardh, my view us that if you share it, it should be a good guesstimate.  If you don't you can SWAG it as much as you like.
Solvitur Ambulando

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 18:20:57, 03/10/18 »
I'm sure that I read earlier in this thread that the piece of string for measuring had markers every 2.5 inches....I would guess that each marker on the string would be every 2.5 cms. :) for the conversion of  cms into miles. Probably just a typing error.

No typing error, the OS Explorer maps I use are 4cm to 1km - 2.5 inches to 1 mile

Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy