Author Topic: Looking for totally waterproof gloves  (Read 3125 times)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Looking for totally waterproof gloves
« on: 11:21:14, 11/10/18 »
On my West Highland Way, the last 3 days were in non stop heavy rain. My current "waterproof" gloves (Sealskin Dragoneye) were useless as after a short time they were saturated with water and every time I clenched my fist the water poured out of them and I had to remove them often to wring them out.

In the warmer months this isn't too much a problem but in the colder months this means cold wet hands which isn't good.

I'm looking for a pair that the members can recommend through their own personal use, preferably recently in heavy rain and not a pair that you bought in 1994, used once and have been in your drawer ever since :D :D :D )

Fankoo
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Looking for totally waterproof gloves
« Reply #1 on: 11:54:06, 11/10/18 »
I've never found a pair yet!

A while ago now I cut the sleeves from my old Goretex jacket, about 7" in length.  They weigh next to nothing and take up minimal space. When it rains I just slip them over my hands, underneath my jacket (and gloves),tighten them at my wrist, they are longer than my middle finger by about an inch. That's how I keep dry.

It works for me, my 'waterproof' gloves now are waterproof!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:05:20, 11/10/18 »
Mrs N has Marigolds for the washing up but they are not hard wearing.  I have a set of black rubber gloves i wear for cleaning the barbecue - they are a lot more durable

Seriously I wear good quality Gortex lined ski gloves in winter.  My Sealskinz also totally ineffective in summer.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:33:19, 11/10/18 »
If any glove has stitched seams, then the likely hood of any water getting into them during prolonged heavy rain is very high.
The only things that have kept my hands dry for a long period of time in damp weather are waterproof over mitts, over high quality gloves.
The ones manufactured for motorcyclists are some the best quality on the market, as someone travelling at speed often in very cold temperatures, need maximum protection from the elements, and require their equipment to be almost bombproof.
You may pay a more for that kind of gear, but the quality of manufacture is without question.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:01:52, 11/10/18 »
I have some goretex sniper mitts which are pretty good. They do let a bit of water in at the end of a really wet day but stay relativwarm with their fleece interior.

I've read on the net people saying buffalo mitts are warm when wet. Anyone tried them?

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:54:54, 11/10/18 »
Buffalo Pertex mits are pretty good, but they have minimal protection when the temperature is really low, the weather is bad and you are stationary for some time.
Buffalo Pertex pile equipment are fabulous as long as you can keep your body core temperature at a constant level, ie keep moving and retaining body temperature.

I can remember an article in one of the very first issues of Trail Walker many years ago, where Hamish Hamilton, Buffalo's inventor jumped head first from a boat into Crummock Water in mid January.

He was able to get to dry land very quickly and move around, thus maintaining his body temperature.

The thing with Buffalo mitts is when their saturated with cold water, they offer little protection from the elements.

They really come into play, when the weather is really cold and dry, then they are great for keeping your fingers warm, but they are not the slightest bit waterproof.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:38:06, 11/10/18 »
Mrs N has Marigolds for the washing up but they are not hard wearing.  I have a set of black rubber gloves i wear for cleaning the barbecue - they are a lot more durable

Seriously...

I remember years ago a member of staff at an outdoor retailer - can't remember which - when asked by a customer for a pair of dependable totally waterproof gloves, he said 'Marigold'. The customer smirked and assumed he was joking... he wasn't. He was a well seasoned hillwalker who knew what he was talking about.

For the warm months we don't bother with gloves at all. For cold weather we have Lowe Alpine mountain gloves but only for warmth and warding off snow and light rain, we have no doubt they would fail to keep hands dry in persistent rain.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:50:06, 11/10/18 »
I keep meaning to buy some.goretex overmitts like Tuff Bags. My guess is that a sinple, single skin mitt with no insulation is likely to be a better bet. Thrn just pick the right weight gloves to wear under them

But it's just a guess

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:54:40, 11/10/18 »
Buffalo Pertex mits are pretty good, but they have minimal protection when the temperature is really low, the weather is bad and you are stationary for some time.
Buffalo Pertex pile equipment are fabulous as long as you can keep your body core temperature at a constant level, ie keep moving and retaining body temperature.

I can remember an article in one of the very first issues of Trail Walker many years ago, where Hamish Hamilton, Buffalo's inventor jumped head first from a boat into Crummock Water in mid January.

He was able to get to dry land very quickly and move around, thus maintaining his body temperature.

The thing with Buffalo mitts is when their saturated with cold water, they offer little protection from the elements.

They really come into play, when the weather is really cold and dry, then they are great for keeping your fingers warm, but they are not the slightest bit waterproof.

Thanks, that's exactly what I suspected

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:15:39, 11/10/18 »
I have a pair of “Rab Baltoro” gloves, brilliant gloves for winter and although not waterproof, I slip a pair of “Extremities” mitts over them and that works for me, warm and dry hands  :)

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/socks-gloves-mitts-hats-c151/mitts-c153/tuff-bags-gore-tex-paclite-overmitts-p878
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:32:12, 11/10/18 »
You may laugh, but I use £1.49 pvc Gardening gloves from the local garden center, over a pair of thin wool inner gloves. They worked great at the top of the Ben a few winters ago and in a wind chill off -22 on Dartmoor last winter.  Just be sure your sleeves are good and long.

Pic of them in action here.
https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=87585&p=1293969&hilit=Nevis#p1293969

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:04:21, 12/10/18 »
You may laugh, but I use £1.49 pvc Gardening gloves from the local garden center, over a pair of thin wool inner gloves. They worked great at the top of the Ben a few winters ago and in a wind chill off -22 on Dartmoor last winter.  Just be sure your sleeves are good and long.

Pic of them in action here.
https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=87585&p=1293969&hilit=Nevis#p1293969

Apologies for going slightly off-topic but that was a cracking trip report, BuzyG, and some great photos, especially the ones you took after you'd summitted.  O0 O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:09:30, 12/10/18 »
Yes, great photos, BuzyG  O0

Your glove idea is a sound one, I've yet to find gloves that are still waterproof after 4 hours of torrential rain. I will be testing the Peter Storm waterproof gloves I bought from Millets tomorrow. They should get a good test, looks like it will rain all day.
Hate will never win

Pitboot

« Reply #13 on: 22:50:22, 12/10/18 »
I sweat so much when I'm walking that any gloves I wear get wet inside long before the rain seeps through. So now I use micro fleece stretch gloves, RAB I think, they keep the wind off and are usable when wet, when it's really cold I use an old pair of damart gloves as liners. I've never found anything really waterproof, had some army goretex mitts but they were so cumbersome as to be nearly useless.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:37:07, 13/10/18 »
Thanks for the replies so far, am surprised reading peoples experiences that fully waterproof gloves don't seem to exist.

I don't wear gloves in the summer, whatever the weather but in the winter (especially if I'm using poles) I like a pair to keep the fingers warm, usually cheap Thermalites will do but not if it's a very wet day.

I must admit that Reg's idea about using an old jackets sleeve to cover the hands to be so simple yet practical, adding no extra weight or making the hands too warm.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy