Author Topic: TR Bitts Park, Rickerby Park and the River Eden Sun 23 Dec 18  (Read 1482 times)

April

• Veteran Member
We slept in again on Sunday  :o We were feeling lazy anyway so we got a bus into Carlisle and walking in the parks would be nice. No sheep for Squeaky to chase so she could have a bit of a run.

Beefy and Squeaky in Bitts Park

Rickerby Park

Beefy and Squeaky in Rickerby Park

It was a dull and murky day with low cloud. We stopped for some lunch near the Millenium Bridge. Squeaky had some tuna from a plastic bowl. A golden retriever came bounding along and tried to eat the plastic bowl  :o I managed to get that off the dog but wasn't quick enough to rescue a plastic bag that it swallowed  :o The dog's owner came along apologising. We told her that the dog had managed to eat a plastic bag. We hope it is ok.

Squeaky near the River Eden

We walked along the deserted golf course next to the river

The view across the river

This footbridge needs some TLC

This was like this last year. Care needed going across it obviously!

Looking north from the A69

Our route was Carlisle - Bitts Park - Sheepmount - Eden Bridge - Rickerby Park - Millenium Bridge - River Eden footpath to Rosehill Tesco - home. 10km with 30m ascent. A bit of a leg stretch and not a bad walk to do when you feel lazy. It was good to see Squeaky having the freedom to run about  :)
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
It's not like you 2 to be up so late both days, you are obviously in need of a bit of a break from work over Christmas.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Great stuff April, very nice looking parks & looks like a very good exercise - (back) on your doorstep.
Squeaky clearly enjoyed it  O0
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

pleb

• Veteran Member
Know it well was there about 6 weeks ago on a cheap rail offer! Had fish n chips............. :)
Nice area  :)
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

beefy

• Veteran Member
Great pics again Ape O0
Was great to see Squeaky running about, it's her favourite passtime
She loves it :)
Along with  chasing dogs 3 or 4 times her size off ;D

It's not like you 2 to be up so late both days, you are obviously in need of a bit of a break from work over Christmas.
April is getting rather old you know :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
you are obviously in need of a bit of a break from work over Christmas.

I am now in need of a break from Christmas  :D

very nice looking parks.....Squeaky clearly enjoyed it  O0

They are and she did  :)

was there about 6 weeks ago on a cheap rail offer! Had fish n chips............. :)

What? No ice cream?  :o

April is getting rather old you know :D

And you will always be a year older  :D
Hate will never win

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
I had a free return train ticket to be used on the Northern network recently so decided to use it to have a few hours in Carlisle.

A bit of shopping and curry night and also a short walk to the Sands leisure centre and along the river to the bridge into Rickerby park along the Hadrians Wall Path.

After crossing the bridge I headed back towards the city but on the other side of the river but was confused to see the National Trail posts and signs on that side of the river as the Hadrians Wall Path is over the other side of the river.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

April

• Veteran Member
After crossing the bridge I headed back towards the city but on the other side of the river but was confused to see the National Trail posts and signs on that side of the river as the Hadrians Wall Path is over the other side of the river.

The bridge was out of action for quite a long time after the Dec 15 floods. The path was diverted across Eden Bridge to the north side of the river until the footbridge was made safe. The signs are still there on both sides of the river. I hope they will not be needed again.  :)
Hate will never win

bricam2096

• Veteran Member

The bridge was out of action for quite a long time after the Dec 15 floods. The path was diverted across Eden Bridge to the north side of the river until the footbridge was made safe. The signs are still there on both sides of the river. I hope they will not be needed again.  :)

Ah, that makes sense  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy