Author Topic: Lairig ghru  (Read 1644 times)

Scobie1971

Lairig ghru
« on: 20:54:47, 16/01/19 »
Hi myself and some fellow travellers are planning to walk the lairig ghru from braemar to aviemore we want to include ben macdui whats the best routr to take we arrive at linn o dee car park and stay at bob scotts on thursday evening then head for ben macdui friday morning not sure about where to spend the friday night HELP

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Lairig ghru
« Reply #1 on: 21:20:36, 16/01/19 »
First of all, welcome to the forum, Scobie.  :)

That's a big walk you have planned for a winter's day, especially if you take in Ben Macdui. For accommodation, the Corrour Bothy springs to mind, but bear in mind that it could be full, so take a winter tent + camping gear just in case.

I'm not going to advise on the route, as I have not been up Ben Macdui myself, but I would be more inclined to walk in to the Corrour bothy on the Friday, and then tackle the hills to the west, Cairn Toul and Braeriach on the following day, rather than Ben Macdui, before dropping down towards Aviemore. And then only if conditions were good - in poor weather I would most definitely stick to the Lairig Ghru.

PS - I take it that you and your companions have ample experience of walking in winter conditions, and have ice axes and crampons etc?
« Last Edit: 21:47:32, 16/01/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:21:11, 16/01/19 »
The most obvious route from the Linn of Dee to Ben Macdui is to follow the Luibeg Burn upstream and climb Ben Macdui via Sron Riach (NN 999 978). This is a very long route and not an easy walk. Trouble is from Ben Macdui there isn't an easy way down into the Lairig Ghru, you'd have to go down the tailor's burn or the march burn, I wouldn't recommend either on foot. The only safe way would be to back track to the Luibeg bridge and pick up the path to the Lairig Ghru there, which would make a very long day.   

Really if you want to do the Lairig Ghru then Macdui is a bit off your route, or you can do Macdui and carry on to Cairn Lochan where there's a choice of routes down to Aviemore. 

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 06:20:58, 17/01/19 »

Not sure if you mean this week-end or maybe a week-end in a different season?

Winter has just arrived this morning in Badenoch on the western side of the Cairngorms bringing a small deposit of snow to us here at 275 metres. The winds are fairly strong coming in from the North West but altering the direction it is said after Friday onwards. The ground is presently frozen from valley upwards.
My first thoughts are that having a motor at Linn of Dee you walk further away from where it is parked by following your proposed route and with the current wind direction would mean a tough fight against it in the Lairig. The wind direction is reckoned to change? I have travelled in the Cairngorms using the several routes in different seasons mentioned in the earlier Posts here.
The SAIS website for the Northern Cairngorms will give you lots of information gathered on a daily basis and the MWIS weather site, one of many, will give you the current weather in the hills for the various regions on Scotland.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:33:00, 17/01/19 »
The most obvious route from the Linn of Dee to Ben Macdui is to follow the Luibeg Burn upstream and climb Ben Macdui via Sron Riach (NN 999 978). This is a very long route and not an easy walk. Trouble is from Ben Macdui there isn't an easy way down into the Lairig Ghru, you'd have to go down the tailor's burn or the march burn, I wouldn't recommend either on foot. The only safe way would be to back track to the Luibeg bridge and pick up the path to the Lairig Ghru there, which would make a very long day.   

Really if you want to do the Lairig Ghru then Macdui is a bit off your route, or you can do Macdui and carry on to Cairn Lochan where there's a choice of routes down to Aviemore.

Macdui and the LG in one day is a monster in winter and you'll need a strong pace to keep this up.  As Owen says above, look at an alternative and either to the LG by itself, or walk-off the ben to the south-west and in to Corrour area.  I'd consider if you want to make it a 2-day trip whether you can camp either at Derry Lodge or Corrour - but as has been said, be aware Corrour is extremely limited for space so be prepared to use a tent. 

Scobie1971

« Reply #5 on: 12:21:23, 17/01/19 »
Thank you for your prompt reply guys i think ile split these two in to seperate events thanks for the advice

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:29:08, 17/01/19 »

A pleasure. Enjoy your walk, Scobie.

..and let us know how you get on.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy