Author Topic: Three Sisters in Feb  (Read 1328 times)

topher83

Three Sisters in Feb
« on: 10:15:25, 13/02/19 »
Hi

Planning on a bit of camping near Glencoe soon with the dog
Just curious having never been in winter before, or done the three sisters, do you think it would be quite difficult for a dog this time of year

Shes ok with the cold, just concerned it might be to 'scrammbly' for her (Labrador) and add the snow to that it might be too much

Thanks

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Three Sisters in Feb
« Reply #1 on: 16:58:39, 13/02/19 »
Sounds a bit much for a dog, to be honest. Maybe in summer, but in Feb we're talking ice axes and crampons.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:39:07, 13/02/19 »
You'll do well to do the Three Sisters in one day..............lots of ups and downs.
Navigation can be tricky there too in bad weather.

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:21:47, 14/02/19 »
Big thaw on at the moment.  Maybe the poster means walks on the paths in Coire nan Lochan and in Coire Gabhail? that would take them in between the these outliers of the bigger summits.
At the moment probably clear of most snow but in a couple of weeks time could be very different.
If I were you keep in touch with the SAIS reports for Glencoe and especially helpful the blogs with images of what is to be found on the day of the report.

topher83

« Reply #4 on: 09:01:00, 14/02/19 »
The route I was planning was the circular from Glencoe
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/bideannambian.shtml [nofollow]
Says about 11km (7-9 hrs)

Not done it before and reading a bit the decent into the lost valley can be a bit tricky, so might give it a miss and go for something a little bit easier \ less tricky given the time of year

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:58:27, 14/02/19 »

Hmm - yes, I read that, topher.

In particular -

"Steep, rocky and complex terrain. There are well-worn paths for much of the route (not to Stob Coire nan Lochan) but these are very rocky and there are sections of steep scree and very mild scrambling. Snow can cover the descent from Bealach Dearg well into summer, come prepared."[/color]  

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy