Author Topic: Best places for foraging in Cumbria  (Read 2494 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Best places for foraging in Cumbria
« on: 16:11:42, 07/04/19 »
All the talk of sloes and apples in other threads got me wanting to forage. I bought a book on it once but saw very little to forage on the South Downs. Local to us there is some wild garlic which I love but is there anywhere good to forage in Cumbria? What can be had where?

taxino8

Re: Best places for foraging in Cumbria
« Reply #1 on: 18:21:04, 07/04/19 »
You’ll find lots of mushrooms in Manesty Woods on the side of Derwentwater but I’m not sure if they are edible and probably too early in the year for them.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:51:52, 07/04/19 »
You’ll find lots of mushrooms in Manesty Woods on the side of Derwentwater but I’m not sure if they are edible and probably too early in the year for them.

Thanks. I just browsed a couple of mushroom identification sites and there seems far too many strains to take in. I expect I'd need the input of an expert on how to go about identifying them before attempting this. It looks like a nice walk there though.

taxino8

« Reply #3 on: 18:55:26, 07/04/19 »

Thanks. I just browsed a couple of mushroom identification sites and there seems far too many strains to take in. I expect I'd need the input of an expert on how to go about identifying them before attempting this. It looks like a nice walk there though.
It’s a really nice place to wander about.
We used to stay in the Caravan Club site that is actually in the woods and I’ve had many happy hours wandering about with my Labrador.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:00:51, 07/04/19 »
Can't help with locations in Cumbria but I generally forage on the hoof, so to speak.  As in, if I spot brambles, wild strawberries, plums, apples, pears and such like, I'll have a little nibble of them as I pass.  I guess that's one advantage to low level walking (doubt you'd find much to forage up a mountain).

I wouldn't dare touch mushrooms though - too many deadly ones that look similar to perfectly safe ones and I don't have the knowledge or skill to tell the difference.

I once happened upon a sprout field near where I live.... that was my evening meal's veg sorted out then  O0

Edited to correct my wrong spelling of pears (oh the shame  ;D  )

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:34:46, 07/04/19 »
Can't help with locations in Cumbria but I generally forage on the hoof, so to speak.  As in, if I spot brambles, wild strawberries, plums, apples, pairs and such like, I'll have a little nibble of them as I pass.  I guess that's one advantage to low level walking (doubt you'd find much to forage up a mountain).

I guess I had unrealistic expectations of loads of novel veg like wild garlic (which makes the best pesto).

I wouldn't dare touch mushrooms though - too many deadly ones that look similar to perfectly safe ones and I don't have the knowledge or skill to tell the difference.

I think experts must have systems as there's too many to visually ID from a list of photos and that's before further ID like bruising.

I once happened upon a sprout field near where I live.... that was my evening meal's veg sorted out then  O0

Love sprouts with bacon and chestnuts. My favourite veg served that way. They'd still be good without the bacon if you're a vegetarian.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:03:11, 07/04/19 »
I love sprouts slathered in real butter and a bit of white onion sauce.

Sometimes I mash them in with potato, carrots and parsnips and make bubble and squeak patties.

I grate them raw into salad or make coleslaw with them too.

Mmmmm..... nom nom nomnomnom...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:42:46, 08/04/19 »
Deciduous woodland near rivers are often good for Wild Garlic. Not beech woods though - although very young beech leaves can be eaten raw.

The most obvious thing in spring time is nettles - go for the young leaves - wear a glove whilst collecting though! Cooking destroys the sting barbs.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:23:22, 08/04/19 »

Rob,  if memory serves the footpath from Nateby Road in Kirkby Stephen past Ewbank Scar used to be stiff with Wild Garlic as you dropped through the wood to Ladthwaite Beck.  The path leaves the road at NY 77560 08098 and the wood in question was at NY 78343 07401.  Best follow the path from the start as I am not 100% about the wood in question but it was definitely along that path.  If you want to make a trip of it - here is the route. https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/1914645/120601-Nine-Standards
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:02:55, 09/04/19 »

Made some unexpectedly good (if I say it myself) wild crab apple jelly last year from fruit that had been on the ground for sometime.
Walked that way again yesterday and there are still masses of apples gradually mouldering under the tree. The woods there are full of deer but, surprisingly, it seems they don't eat crab apples.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy