Author Topic: Injuries post salkantay trek  (Read 1053 times)

Ronin83

Injuries post salkantay trek
« on: 16:11:54, 22/04/19 »
Hope this doesnt just sound like moaning, but its useful to hear advice and experience from people in the know...

Finished the salkantay trek a few days ago and I have 2 issues.

My left knee is destroyed. Day 2 included an 800m ascent over 7km(not a problem, just hard work, but enjoyed it) and 1800m descent(this is what started the pain). I've never done such a long descent before. 2 more days of hiking mostly down after this, the last day basically on one leg and 2 sticks, finished the knee off.
Pain started on the outside edge as it had done before on long walks, but moved to the inside on top of the knee cap. Pain is quite bad and sometimes shoots. Never been this bad before. Of course I'll see the doc, but I've tried what they will advise already(anti inflammatories, RICE etc). Most concerning is that ibruproiband naproxen did literally nothing.

Secondly I developed and pain on the left loin, upper back which is worse when carrying my backpack. The pack I was carrying I've used in England and is only a 25l Berghaus. Never had the problem before. The muscle pain turned into feeling like a sharp knife or pin stabbing me. Very weird.

So should I just chalk this up as to be expected from such a harsh 4/5 day hike or is there advice anyone could give?

Apart from these things I felt great, couldve kept walking more if it weren't for the knee. Zero blisters or bruised toes. I met people who had run marathons who said it was really tough, fitness wise I was fine, but could never run a marathon  ;D

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Injuries post salkantay trek
« Reply #1 on: 17:07:23, 22/04/19 »
Just to be clear I have no medical knowledge or training but I wonder if the problem with your back is because you were walking strangely but to your knee.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:16:43, 22/04/19 »
). I've never done such a long descent before.

So should I just chalk this up as to be expected from such a harsh 4/5 day hike or is there advice anyone could give?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:32:46, 22/04/19 »
I feel your pain. I went through the same knee problem after a 1000m descent in the Alps.  I used ibuprofen gel, it has to be applied several times a day, check the leaflet.  Knee braces and walking poles also helped my recovery as did avoiding walks with extended descents for a couple of months.  The back pain is a new one on me.  Could it be transfer of stress while you were favouring your knee?
Solvitur Ambulando

Ronin83

« Reply #4 on: 17:37:16, 22/04/19 »
Just to be clear I have no medical knowledge or training but I wonder if the problem with your back is because you were walking strangely but to your knee.

Yeh, I was told by the only person who has ever really healed me successfully before that I am slightly lop sided, but that 99% of people are and it's perfectly normal. The human body is never symmetrical.

Thing is I trained hard for this, gym almost every day, cardio, strengthening my legs, balance work, core work, walks at the weekends. It wasn't a lack of conditioning.
So maybe you're right, the way I walk perhaps

Ronin83

« Reply #5 on: 17:40:59, 22/04/19 »
I feel your pain. I went through the same knee problem after a 1000m descent in the Alps.  I used ibuprofen gel, it has to be applied several times a day, check the leaflet.  Knee braces and walking poles also helped my recovery as did avoiding walks with extended descents for a couple of months.  The back pain is a new one on me.  Could it be transfer of stress while you were favouring your knee?

Thanks,
Yeh I used a knee brace, tiger balm and sticks to get through it. Did take ibruprofen(usually works well on me) and tried naproxen, both didnt help.
Good thinking, maybe thats the back thing.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:00:46, 22/04/19 »
Right that does it I'm getting knee braces. I can do without doing this to my knee and while I don't do this much descent I do half as much and probably have twice the weight on it you do.

Hope it heals OK and you can just chalk it up to experience.

Doddy

« Reply #7 on: 17:25:20, 26/04/19 »
If the terrain permits I tack and zig zag down descents to alter the strain on the quads which control the knees.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy