Author Topic: COUNTY BAGGING: County Durham - Shacklesborough Hill  (Read 2420 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
I've part-bagged my latest County  :)   Now is definitely the best time to "do" the North Pennines.  This dry weather has made walking on normally boggy land a complete easy pleasure.

Given the discussions recently about navigating - learning and practicing it - I thought I'd give my memory a jog on how easy it is to do the simple basics that would help get me out of a pickle.  It certainly gets easier with practice and this is the first time I've used it with intention in a completely unfamiliar area.

Anyway, it was a smashing walk on a beautiful sunny Bank Holiday Monday with a gentle warm breeze.  Miles away from the touristy "honeypots" I had the place to myself.  Due to the lack of water, there was a lack of waterfalls but that was the trade-off for having dry moorland to walk on.

This was my new Meindl shoes' first proper trip out and they did me proud.  Really pleased with them  :)

Seeing as this was an official "County Bagging" walk, I've written it up on my blog - it's a bit too lengthy to re-copy / paste the words then the images again into here so I'll be very naughty and just give you the link:

Shacklesborough Hill

Thanks for looking  :)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Re: COUNTY BAGGING: County Durham - Shacklesborough Hill
« Reply #1 on: 22:31:33, 23/04/19 »
Interesting navigation themed TR Mel. I downloaded your VR trace, your maximum speed was 29 km/h! Wonder what happened there?

Edit: I thought I'd downloaded it, it just let's me look at it - doesn't import it into my ViewRanger for some reason.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:35:38, 23/04/19 »

Ah, that explains the sheep poo on the lens, Mel!

Your purple flower is a violet or close relative, I believe.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:52:11, 23/04/19 »

It was your conversations about map reading and navigating that prompted me to jog my own memory on how easy it really is.  I still maintain that reading books on the subject makes it seem really complicated and that spending an hour with somebody to show you the basics of compass work would give you an "aha!" moment, shortly followed by an "oh, it can't be that simple" thought.

The recordings spike sometimes if the GPS's satellite view is temporarily disrupted, then it can whizz about a bit or jump to the next location and give a false reading for that part.  It all pans out in the wash though as I was out (from car back to car again) for 5 hours 30 mins and I averaged 1.3 mph (taking into account my leisurely lunch break and many other smaller stops) - which sounds about right.  .... sorry, what I meant to say was yeah, I sprinted round  :D

Cheers Richard.  I knew that flower would be something not rare or endangered  ;D

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:54:49, 23/04/19 »
Great report and pics Mel  O0

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:03:34, 23/04/19 »
I expect navigation is easier with someone to show you but I don't have anyone (I emailed some people about it but they're not doing it this month). Besides if I can do it from the book that's £90 saved. I've read (and understood) all the techniques in the Ultimate Navigation Manual now. Quite looking forward to trying them out, just waiting for OS paper maps of my local area to arrive.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:06:00, 23/04/19 »
Cheers Ridge.  My new shoes have got me champing at the bit to get out "properly" again  :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:08:33, 23/04/19 »
Rob, couldn't your friend (who introduced you to ViewRanger) show you?  You said, although he doesn't carry a map/compass with him, he knows how to use them. ... Just a thought.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:21:50, 23/04/19 »
Rob, couldn't your friend (who introduced you to ViewRanger) show you?  You said, although he doesn't carry a map/compass with him, he knows how to use them. ... Just a thought.

He doesn't have enough time to get outdoors anymore between work and looking after his kid. The book descriptions were really good and gave lots of techniques, I think I can pick it up alone. If it doesn't work out for some reason maybe I'll find someone I can pay to show me.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:35:18, 23/04/19 »
Glad you enjoyed Shacklesborough Mel. It is one of those little hills that calls you as it is visible from a long way away and has a weird mesa shape.  I have done it it a couple of times - one of my rare repeat walks trying to improve the route.
A tip for anyone thinking about it. Park at the top of the dam, nice big car park, cross the dam and go round clockwise.  The route round to and up the hill is fairly obvious that way. The hard part is finding a way from there to the stream crossing at the head of the reservoir. If you start at the top of the hill, you stand a better chance of spotting a line.  Avoid arriving at the fence line anywhere near the foot of Blea Gill, it gives you an awkward gully crossing. Rather leave the head of Blea Gill and aim off to the top of the reservoir. https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/1912603/140701-Shacklesborough
It is a tad under 10km and took about 2:30 hrs both times - no tea breaks
Solvitur Ambulando

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 06:42:12, 24/04/19 »

Looks like a great walk, really enjoyed the TR, Mel.  O0

And quite envious that you encountered all those birds at once! We saw our first golden plover of the year on Bleaklow on Monday.

Your purple flower is a violet or close relative, I believe.

Yes, Common Dog Violet, I think. There are a lot out around here at the moment. Lovely little flowers.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:09:58, 24/04/19 »
A fine walk and pictures, this is indeed a very good time for the north Pennines. Baldersdale is a much neglected walking area except for the Pennine Way stretch that passes through it, it's rare to find a walk report there.

Shacklesborough has often caught my eye perusing the map, maybe it's time to design another route.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:51:21, 24/04/19 »
Enjoyed the TR Mel    :)    It conveys the wonderful feeling of peace and freedom that walking can bring

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 09:00:34, 24/04/19 »
A fine walk and pictures, this is indeed a very good time for the north Pennines. Baldersdale is a much neglected walking area except for the Pennine Way stretch that passes through it, it's rare to find a walk report there.

Shacklesborough has often caught my eye perusing the map, maybe it's time to design another route.
That area was my backyard until 2 years ago. In the unlikely event you need any advice.......happy to help.
Solvitur Ambulando

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:43:35, 24/04/19 »
Great report and pics Mel  O0 It sounded like a fab day out and I wanted to be there enjoying it too, reading your report  :)

Shame on you for slugging the summit  :D

Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy