Author Topic: COUNTY BAGGING: County Durham - Shacklesborough Hill  (Read 2421 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: COUNTY BAGGING: County Durham - Shacklesborough Hill
« Reply #15 on: 20:15:11, 24/04/19 »
Glad you enjoyed Shacklesborough Mel. It is one of those little hills that calls you as it is visible from a long way away and has a weird mesa shape.  I have done it it a couple of times - one of my rare repeat walks trying to improve the route.
A tip for anyone thinking about it. Park at the top of the dam, nice big car park, cross the dam and go round clockwise.  The route round to and up the hill is fairly obvious that way. The hard part is finding a way from there to the stream crossing at the head of the reservoir. If you start at the top of the hill, you stand a better chance of spotting a line.  Avoid arriving at the fence line anywhere near the foot of Blea Gill, it gives you an awkward gully crossing. Rather leave the head of Blea Gill and aim off to the top of the reservoir. https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/1912603/140701-Shacklesborough
It is a tad under 10km and took about 2:30 hrs both times - no tea breaks

Cheers ninthace.  I had a look at your route and it's slightly different to the one I took.  Mainly round the Blea Gill area.  I didn't cross Blea Gill, I followed the fenceline until it turned towards the gill then I continued due south(ish), crossed a very substantial bridge over the junction of the two land drains and joined the green matting which followed the eastern side of the easternmost land drain.  I'm wondering if the matting has been put in place since your last visit?

Looks like a great walk, really enjoyed the TR, Mel.  O0

And quite envious that you encountered all those birds at once! We saw our first golden plover of the year on Bleaklow on Monday.

Yes, Common Dog Violet, I think. There are a lot out around here at the moment. Lovely little flowers.

Cheers adalard.  If you're a bit of a bird fan, perhaps you can help with the name of the black and white bird I saw.  It's flight pattern was very distinctive - flying up and falling / fluttering as if injured, as was it's warbling flute-like call.  White underbelly with black wide wings (reminded me of a chubby palm with really short fingers).  Small head and quite a short beak.  I think they had a black necklace too.

A fine walk and pictures, this is indeed a very good time for the north Pennines. Baldersdale is a much neglected walking area except for the Pennine Way stretch that passes through it, it's rare to find a walk report there.

Shacklesborough has often caught my eye perusing the map, maybe it's time to design another route.

Thanks vghikers.  I chose the area because I read the book about Hannah Hauxwell's life.  For years I assumed Baldersdale was in the Yorkshire Dales and then wondered if I'd got the name wrong.  I recently found the book again at a table top sale, bought it and, ta-dah, the penny dropped and I was even more pleased when I found a suitable walk route in Country Walking mag.  I will return at some point as I have a walk route for Goldsborough hill too.  I'll be trying to do that walk when Hannah's hay meadow is in full bloom.  I think it would be pretty easy to create a longer route taking in both hills for a stonkingly good day's walking.

Enjoyed the TR Mel    :)    It conveys the wonderful feeling of peace and freedom that walking can bring

Cheers Dovegirl.  I'm glad that came through in my write up.  I didn't realise how much "artificial noise" I have to tolerate on a daily basis and, having not been out in the wilds for months, the contrast was startling (and wonderful!)

Great report and pics Mel  O0 It sounded like a fab day out and I wanted to be there enjoying it too, reading your report  :)

Shame on you for slugging the summit  :D

Cheers April.  I'm sorry but there was just nobody around and it had to be done.  Had it been a busier hill I would have dropped down one side out of view (and the wind!).  Plenty of wildcamping spots around there though not much in the way of streams at the mo...

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 05:47:02, 25/04/19 »
Cheers adalard.  If you're a bit of a bird fan, perhaps you can help with the name of the black and white bird I saw.  It's flight pattern was very distinctive - flying up and falling / fluttering as if injured, as was it's warbling flute-like call.  White underbelly with black wide wings (reminded me of a chubby palm with really short fingers).  Small head and quite a short beak.  I think they had a black necklace too.

I am a bird fan but I'm not very knowledgeable, I'm afraid. Twitter is a constant source of correction and education for me when I post pictures of birds I've seen on walks and sometimes I still can't see the difference between what I thought a bird was and what it actually is!  :-\

The RSPB website has a bird identifier page but I don't find their limited illustrations very helpful myself. Sorry I haven't been much help!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 07:35:54, 25/04/19 »
Mel. Your black and white bird was most likely a Lapwing.  They are common in that area, have rounded wing tips and a fluttering flight when displaying or distracting intruders. The area is also good for Golden Plover and at this time of year you may be lucky and hear a Snipe drumming - a really weird sound.
Solvitur Ambulando

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 09:29:24, 25/04/19 »
Nice report & photos Mel, looked like a good walk too O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 10:24:58, 25/04/19 »
Looks a nice place, can't sat I have heard of it.  :-\ :) :)
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 12:26:16, 25/04/19 »
Cheers April.  I'm sorry but there was just nobody around and it had to be done.

:) You aren't actually a summit slug if there is nobody there  ;)
Hate will never win

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 20:52:04, 25/04/19 »
Great TR and looks a lovely walk. Interested that you saw avocets - wonder if they were on their summer hols from Devon ;) 
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 21:13:23, 25/04/19 »

No worries adalard.  I tried the RSPB site but didn't have any luck  :( 

Ninthace - YES! Lapwings.  That's them  O0

Cheers sunnydale and pleb.  It was a good walk  :)

April - that's good to know  :D

Jac - yes, it's definitely an area I will visit again (armed with my book of all things outdoorsy and British).  I'm sure there were many other birds there that I can't remember the names of.  They're really difficult to get a decent picture of so I have to go from memory.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy