Author Topic: Which boot?  (Read 7199 times)

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Which boot?
« Reply #15 on: 09:32:36, 10/09/19 »
Regardless of which boots you end up buying you may find the information/advice on this webpage very useful https://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/walking-boots-care-guide/

If you buy your boots at Whalley Warm & Dry they may throw in a tin of Leder Gris Original Clear and a tin of Leder Gris Xtreme with your purchase but in my experience they don't discount their prices on the boots.

You can split Whalley Warm & Dry's recommended wax products in to two distinct categories. The main difference between the two types is the increased oil content in the wax for the high wear areas - Leder Gris Original has 70% wax/30% oil content whilst the Leder Gris Xtreme has 50% wax/50% oil content.

Wax For Everyday All Over Use

Leder Gris Original Clear (Green 80g Tin) (£4.60 upwards) https://www.odintactical.co.uk/leder-gris-boot-wax
Grangers G-Wax (£2.70 upwards)
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/grangers-g-wax-leather-footwear-conditioner-p342371
https://www.tog24.com/grangers-g-wax-one.html
https://www.amazon.co.uk/G-Wax-Grangers-80g/dp/B078NGW9VQ/
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grangers-G-Wax-80g-Leather-Shoe-Boot-Waterproofer-Proofer-Beeswax-Polish-Dubbing/272674990800

Wax For High Wear Areas Such As Flex Point and Tongue

Leder Gris Xtreme Clear (Red 80g Tin) (£5.00 upwards) https://www.odintactical.co.uk/leder-gris-boot-wax-clear
Cherry Blossom Waxed Leather Oil 100ml (£4.98 upwards) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cherry-Blossom-Waxed-Leather-Oil-100ml/152836834522

You may also find some Nikwax Footwear Cleaning Gel will come in handy.

Chris_663

« Reply #16 on: 12:22:46, 13/09/19 »
Regardless of which boots you end up buying you may find the information/advice on this webpage very useful https://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/walking-boots-care-guide/ [nofollow]

If you buy your boots at Whalley Warm & Dry they may throw in a tin of Leder Gris Original Clear and a tin of Leder Gris Xtreme with your purchase but in my experience they don't discount their prices on the boots.

You can split Whalley Warm & Dry's recommended wax products in to two distinct categories. The main difference between the two types is the increased oil content in the wax for the high wear areas - Leder Gris Original has 70% wax/30% oil content whilst the Leder Gris Xtreme has 50% wax/50% oil content.

Wax For Everyday All Over Use

Leder Gris Original Clear (Green 80g Tin) (£4.60 upwards) https://www.odintactical.co.uk/leder-gris-boot-wax [nofollow]
Grangers G-Wax (£2.70 upwards)
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/grangers-g-wax-leather-footwear-conditioner-p342371 [nofollow]
https://www.tog24.com/grangers-g-wax-one.html [nofollow]
https://www.amazon.co.uk/G-Wax-Grangers-80g/dp/B078NGW9VQ/ [nofollow]
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grangers-G-Wax-80g-Leather-Shoe-Boot-Waterproofer-Proofer-Beeswax-Polish-Dubbing/272674990800 [nofollow]

Wax For High Wear Areas Such As Flex Point and Tongue

Leder Gris Xtreme Clear (Red 80g Tin) (£5.00 upwards) https://www.odintactical.co.uk/leder-gris-boot-wax-clear [nofollow]
Cherry Blossom Waxed Leather Oil 100ml (£4.98 upwards) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cherry-Blossom-Waxed-Leather-Oil-100ml/152836834522 [nofollow]

You may also find some Nikwax Footwear Cleaning Gel will come in handy.

Thanks for the guide, I have my boot fitting this sunday at Whalleys. This guide will be useful to help protect whatever I buy, I've been looking at the Altberg Nordkapps which seem pretty cool, but I'll wait and see what they suggest and I'll let you know what I get, thanks again

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:51:02, 13/09/19 »
I've had various Altberg models - Fremington, Malham, Tethera, Nordkapp and Mallerstang and the build quality of all of them has been excellent. The higher rubber rand on the Nordkapps will provide better protection against scuffs and scrapes to the toe area and I'm surprised Altberg haven't introduced the same higher rand to their other models.

I decided to wax my Nordkapps as I find it makes cleaning and ongoing maintenance a lot easier and less time consuming and also provides a better level of water resistance rather than using Leder-Bok or other waterproofing sprays. A couple of coats of a soft creamy wax like Meindl Sport Wax or a leather conditioner such as Berghaus Conditioning Cream will soon flatten the brushed finish of the nubuck leather turning it into a smooth leather finish. Once that's done it is then followed by using Leder Gris Extreme and Leder Gris Original providing the necessary pre-wear impregnation as explained in Whalley Warm & Dry's instruction leaflet above.

Be aware that Altberg's measuring and fitting system has a reputation for being very close fitting. Some customers find it too close fitting and find they need to go up a full size or a width fitting (instead of the half size Altberg recommend) to achieve what they consider to be a more comfortable fit. In my opinion I believe most of us have all become so used to making do with badly fitting off the shelf footwear we now have no idea what properly fitting footwear actually feels like. Having said that if you're not completely happy with the fit don't be afraid to insist on trying on a boot half a size bigger or one width fitting wider as doing that will at least give you a comparison of the differing comfort levels which can be achieved. At the end of the day you're paying a lot of money for comfortable boots. The boot fitters can also steam and stretch the boots to custom fit them to get rid of any minor niggles or problem areas as part of the fitting process.

They are not wrong with their measuring and I think they fit them close fitting on the basis that they know that the leather will eventually give a little once they've been worn and the leather has stretched and moulded to the shape of your feet.

It may seem obvious but don't forget to take your normal walking socks and any orthotic insoles which you may have with you.
« Last Edit: 18:19:13, 13/09/19 by kinkyboots »

Chris_663

« Reply #18 on: 20:09:36, 13/09/19 »
I've had various Altberg models - Fremington, Malham, Tethera, Nordkapp and Mallerstang and the build quality of all of them has been excellent. The higher rubber rand on the Nordkapps will provide better protection against scuffs and scrapes to the toe area and I'm surprised Altberg haven't introduced the same higher rand to their other models.

I decided to wax my Nordkapps as I find it makes cleaning and ongoing maintenance a lot easier and less time consuming and also provides a better level of water resistance rather than using Leder-Bok or other waterproofing sprays. A couple of coats of a soft creamy wax like Meindl Sport Wax or a leather conditioner such as Berghaus Conditioning Cream will soon flatten the brushed finish of the nubuck leather turning it into a smooth leather finish. Once that's done it is then followed by using Leder Gris Extreme and Leder Gris Original providing the necessary pre-wear impregnation as explained in Whalley Warm & Dry's instruction leaflet above.

Be aware that Altberg's measuring and fitting system has a reputation for being very close fitting. Some customers find it too close fitting and find they need to go up a full size or a width fitting (instead of the half size Altberg recommend) to achieve what they consider to be a more comfortable fit. In my opinion I believe most of us have all become so used to making do with badly fitting off the shelf footwear we now have no idea what properly fitting footwear actually feels like. Having said that if you're not completely happy with the fit don't be afraid to insist on trying on a boot half a size bigger or one width fitting wider as doing that will at least give you a comparison of the differing comfort levels which can be achieved. At the end of the day you're paying a lot of money for comfortable boots. The boot fitters can also steam and stretch the boots to custom fit them to get rid of any minor niggles or problem areas as part of the fitting process.

They are not wrong with their measuring and I think they fit them close fitting on the basis that they know that the leather will eventually give a little once they've been worn and the leather has stretched and moulded to the shape of your feet.

It may seem obvious but don't forget to take your normal walking socks and any orthotic insoles which you may have with you.

Yeah the high rubber rands on the nordkapps look pretty good, I've never been into the full leather look but I like the high rands. I've also been looking into other brands in the same price bracket and there's plenty to choose, I wondering if there's any opinions on the brand garmont:

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15908014/garmont-men-s-pinnacle-gtx-boots-15908014 [nofollow]

I've not seen many garmonts, but the ones I have seen have been in a more premium price bracket. I'll make sure to take my socks with me! Thanks for the tip   O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 20:21:48, 13/09/19 »
My advice is simple - try before you buy, and stick to leather.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:27:44, 13/09/19 »
@kinkyboots

I think that I will be paying a trip to Whalley sometime this autumn, as my leather Grisport Peaklanders are nearing the end of their life. They've been quite good for an £80 boot, but the soles are wearing out and the lining is shot.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 21:08:57, 13/09/19 »
I've also been looking into other brands in the same price bracket and there's plenty to choose, I wondering if there's any opinions on the brand garmont:

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15908014/garmont-men-s-pinnacle-gtx-boots-15908014

I've not seen the Garmont Pinnacle GTX but it's a crampon compatible 3-4 season boot designed for heavy backpacking and mixed mountaineering ideal for UK winter and for summer alpine use not walking on "fairly even" terrain in the Yorkshire Dales with an odd trip elsewhere on more demanding terrain. I'm pretty sure you would find it to be far too stiff and uncomfortable for the type of walking you described in your first post particularly if that involves covering long distances.

Your choice of boot type needs to match the type of walking you do the most. In my opinion you need to be looking for a 3 season boot which has good all round capabilities over a range of terrains. Both the Altberg Nordkapp and Tethera fit the bill and although not specifically rated by Altberg for crampon use both models have been used with C1 flexible crampons in winter conditions by a number of members on here without problems.

Yeah the high rubber rands on the nordkapps look pretty good, I've never been into the full leather look but I like the high rands.

It's really not a matter of whether you are into the full leather look or not.  ;)

It's not a fashion show and it really doesn't matter what they look like as nobody cares - it's about obtaining the best performance and value for your hard earned money!

It's about buying the right type of boot for the type of walking you do most and, provided you maintain them properly, boots that will last.

A fabric or fabric/leather combination boot may last you 1-2 years at most if you are lucky. When the waterproof liner fails (and they all do at some point) the boot becomes useless in wet conditions and needs replacing.

Similarly a suede boot may be fine for use in cold dry or snowy alpine conditions but is useless in the UK's almost permanently wet climate. Suede is difficult to maintain and when it becomes waterlogged it becomes extremely heavy and takes an age to dry.

By contrast a well maintained full leather boot with minimal stitching should last you 5+ years with maybe an odd resole depending on mileage covered. Provided you wax it regularly it will still be waterproof and usable even when the the waterproof lining has failed.

From that I hope you can see that the best value for you is obtained by choosing and buying a full leather boot with minimal stitching.

If you do end up buying the Altberg Nordkapp I would strongly recommend that you decide to wax them as doing that will save you a lot of time and effort maintaining them and increase the life of the boots. Bear in mind that the nubuck 'look' is only designed to attract shoppers who see them on the shelf or website and think they look nice and for no other reason.
« Last Edit: 08:07:52, 14/09/19 by kinkyboots »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 21:52:40, 13/09/19 »
Must say I'm very happy with my Meindl Bhutan boots, which I've had for a few months now, although they haven't had as much use as I planned  O0
Where there's a will ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 09:20:43, 14/09/19 »
It's really not a matter of whether you are into the full leather look or not.  ;)

It's not a fashion show and it really doesn't matter what they look like as nobody cares - it's about obtaining the best performance and value for your hard earned money!

So true - nobody cares once you are on the hill.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 09:21:55, 14/09/19 »
Both the Altberg Nordkapp and Tethera fit the bill and although not specifically rated by Altberg for crampon use both models have been used with C1 flexible crampons in winter conditions by a number of members on here without problems.

Thanks for the info, Kinkyboots; I'll certainly bear that in mind!

Chris_663

« Reply #25 on: 14:12:04, 16/09/19 »
So i had my appointment yesterday and I loved the service. I had no idea how much my foot sized changed when I stood up. Turns out I have high arches, and my foot size changes by over a full size when stood up, I also have extra narrow feet too apparently :/ So I was recommended to take the Altberg tetheras, trying them on they seemed a little snug but not too bad. We discussed how the leather would mould to my feet and they would become a little better fitting as time goes on, he even took it to the machine first and did a few adjustments. However walking around in them in the house last night and they felt cripplingly tight, I tried adjusting to the laces somewhat but the pain on top of my foot was quite bad. It does say on the paperwork i was given if you are not happy and you haven't walked outside in them you can take them back. To be honest I'm set on a pair of altbergs but I don't think i can use these, and the guy said others would be no good, though i did try the nordkapps and they felt a little better in the shop. I am wondering if I should have been given extra narrow or not. I'm not second guessing the guy, I thought they seemed very knowledgeable, but I'm not sure I could walk very far in these! what do you recommend?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 14:19:38, 16/09/19 »
There's snug and there's too tight.  Phone in the first instance then take them back.  In my experience well fitted boots feel right straight away or at least within an hour of first wearing.
Solvitur Ambulando

Chris_663

« Reply #27 on: 14:28:41, 16/09/19 »
There's snug and there's too tight.  Phone in the first instance then take them back.  In my experience well fitted boots feel right straight away or at least within an hour of first wearing.

Yeah I read that again earlier and that's what I thought. Thing is I have plenty of toe room, I can wiggle them about and they dont touch the front. they are secure around the sides, however the top of my foot is where it really hurts. When I wiggle my toes I can feel the tendons on top catch on something, It's weird to describe. Feeling the tongue inside the but it feels smooth enough with nothing getting caught up. I also had some slight heel discomfort too but that wasn't too bad. Overall the boot is just generally a tight fit but apparently this is meant to be the case?

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 14:42:05, 16/09/19 »
I found the trick to getting a comfortable fit in mine is not to over tighten them. Divide the boot lacing into 2 separate sections and keep the lower lacing up to the locking lace hooks fairly slack and the higher lacing above the locking lace hooks fairly tight. The other thing you could possibly try is wearing a thinner walking sock as it's amazing the differance a slightly thinner sock can make to the fit and comfort.

As ninthace point's out if they don't feel right after 10-15 minutes of being on your feet they're not right for you and probably never will be. Ideally after that first 10-15 minutes of being on your feet you should begin to forget they're even on your feet.

If you have any doubts at all and are not happy take them straight back and try on both the Tethera in a narrow width and the Nordkapp again but don't forget correct lacing tension is the key to achieving a comfortable fit. I think a lot of people make the mistake of over tightening new boots.

I have narrow feet and find the Nordkapp (even though it's a medium fit and supposedly too wide for me) to be a much more comfortable fit than the Tethera in a narrow width for my feet and the bonus for me is my toes have more wiggle room.

Don't forget Whalley Warm & Dry are closed on Mondays.

Chris_663

« Reply #29 on: 14:59:53, 16/09/19 »
I found the trick to getting a comfortable fit in mine is not to over tighten them. Divide the boot lacing into 2 separate sections and keep the lower lacing up to the locking lace hooks fairly slack and the higher lacing above the locking lace hooks fairly tight. The other thing you could possibly try is wearing a thinner walking sock as it's amazing the differance a slightly thinner sock can make to the fit and comfort.

As ninthace point's out if they don't feel right after 10-15 minutes of being on your feet they're not right for you and probably never will be. Ideally after that first 10-15 minutes of being on your feet you should begin to forget they're even on your feet.

If you have any doubts at all and are not happy take them straight back and try on both the Tethera in a narrow width and the Nordkapp again but don't forget correct lacing tension is the key to achieving a comfortable fit. I think a lot of people make the mistake of over tightening new boots.

I have narrow feet and find the Nordkapp (even though it's a medium fit and supposedly too wide for me) to be a much more comfortable fit than the Tethera in a narrow width for my feet and the bonus for me is my toes have more wiggle room.

Don't forget Whalley Warm & Dry are closed on Mondays.

Yeah when he first laced them up for me, It was like a straight jacket for my foot, far too tight. I have tried varying levels of tension last night on the lower section as you mentioned however only for an hour or so. It always seemed to be be somewhat painful, I'll give it another try tonight, If I'm not happy then I'll give them a call first thing Tuesday. To be honest i preferred the fit of the Nordkapps over the tethera too, but the guy was adamant that I should go with the Tetheras. These are actually extra narrow, 8.5 but my foot is right up against the side. I tried on some Skarpas too (Can't remember the model) and they we're super comfortable though not leather and more expensive than the Tetheras! My socks are probably on the thinner side, they're not the thick thermal socks, they're proper walking socks from tog 24. The guy said they were "Spot on". I'll see how I get on later. Thanks again for the advise

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy