Author Topic: C2C Proposed Equipment List  (Read 5215 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: C2C Proposed Equipment List
« Reply #15 on: 23:45:37, 22/04/18 »
Gaiters O0

Ticks :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X
Muddy troos :-X :-X :-X
Dew and rain wicking through troos and penetrating socks :-X
Too little, too late, too bad......

Maggot

« Reply #16 on: 06:42:00, 23/04/18 »
Gaiters O0

Ticks :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X
Muddy troos :-X :-X :-X
Dew and rain wicking through troos and penetrating socks :-X

Ticks- stopped by trousers
Muddy troos- simply replaced with muddy gaiters
Dew and rain wicking through troos and penetrating socks- replaced by sweat ridden soaking trousers and overheating feet

We all stopped using canvas rucksacks when better materials came along, now we have faster drying trousers, that will become clean with a quick brush.  It's time for gaiters to go the same way, along with map cases and dubbin!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 08:23:33, 23/04/18 »
Strangely mud doesn't seem to stick to my modern ultra lightweight gaiters, which are comfortable when worn with shorts. They rinse off and dry in minutes.

Good trews cost a lot of money and deserve the protection afforded by said gaiters as do the boots  and legs.

We still use dubbin today although the marketing wide boys call it by different names to con those who like to easily part with their money. ( dubbin = beeswax, natural oils and tallow , ecologically sound stuff for leather boots).

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 08:37:29, 23/04/18 »
Strangely mud doesn't seem to stick to my modern ultra lightweight gaiters, which are comfortable when worn with shorts. They rinse off and dry in minutes.

You've got me interested! The brand / model is....?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 09:01:04, 23/04/18 »
You've got me interested! The brand / model is....?
HI Fernman ,  currently they are in Northumberland  and I am in Lincolnshire ( Boring story )When I get to them I will post the brand BUT I do know I bought them for a fiver in Boyes store, from the fishing section a year past March.
My personal main reason for gaiters is my utter and probably irrational fear of ticks
 as I have a friend who has Lymes,  not pleasant.
These are like a very robust nylon very light, quite long in the leg and like most gaiters cover most of the lacing on my boots. I spray them with the same water repellant I use on my boots when I clean them.
« Last Edit: 18:13:56, 23/04/18 by jimbob »

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 11:57:37, 23/04/18 »
Thanks for the info. It was the "ultra lightweight" bit that caught my attention, but they sound like they're the same as my first ever pair, PU-coated nylon with condensation that made my socks and trouser-bottoms almost as wet as they would be if I didn't wear gaiters. They also had quite a short life.

I think trousers tucked into socks should be enough to keep ticks from getting on your lower legs, with gaiters being a belt-and-braces job. Unless you wear them with shorts, of course, which isn't going to stop you getting them! I mostly get ticks on my arms, because I usually walk with my sleeves rolled up. I don't know how I get ones on my thighs  :-\ I don't do anything illegal with sheep! This year I'll be carrying a Pocket Smidge on my multiple-day walks, to see if that stops them.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 12:09:33, 23/04/18 »

Good trews cost a lot of money and deserve the protection afforded by said gaiters as do the boots  and legs.

We still use dubbin today although the marketing wide boys call it by different names to con those who like to easily part with their money. ( dubbin = beeswax, natural oils and tallow , ecologically sound stuff for leather boots).

Exactly.  Think maggot's on his own here  ;)
Where there's a will ...

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 16:55:13, 23/04/18 »
Completed the C2C three times including once East to West, wild camping.
Gaiters are a must, worn beneath over-trousers when raining.
I took 2 x 600ml bottles which was enough for me.
A single headtorch will suffice if not walking through the night, in which case a small spare would be handy. (only to assist changing batteries in main, if they suddenly go as mine does)
Remember, only take what you will need, try to avoid taking 'just in case' items, as carrying a too heavy sack (30kg+) soon spoils the enjoyment and becomes a burden. I abandoned my very 1st C2C due to carrying too much weight. Since I changed to going lightweight the route has never taken more than 5 days.

Maggot

« Reply #23 on: 18:26:44, 23/04/18 »

Exactly.  Think maggot's on his own here  ;)

I fear I may be  ;D

If we all meet up though, you will all be able to recognise me, I will be the gaiterless one, with a lightweight rucksack, polyester blend trousers, a wicking underlayer and a waterproof map.

You will all be in moleskin trousers, ventile pullovers, framed canvas rucksacks and green gaiters over your hobnail boots, fighting with a mapcase on a shoelace ;D ;D

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 22:00:35, 23/04/18 »
Glad I read this gaiter themed thread as I set off from St Bees a fortnight on Wednesday and have'nt even remotely thought about gear! Got some lightweight Montane gaiters last year and they were great on a very wet PW. After a wet intervening winter I reckon that even the C2C will be a bit moist in parts ( if anyone has been across already this year?). As I walk in shorts I might just take the gaiters now, although I had been leaning to the maggot worldview on this one.
Don't recall any tick hotspots on the C2C?
I would take a pair of crocs to wear on a night to give your feet and boots a rest. Also I do quite like a water bladder as you don't need to stop and de bag to get a drink. I always take too much clothing and can usually wash it enroute. Am going to try and get the weight down to about 11 kgs this time over as I have not had the boots on since Edale last August.
BTW, I may get delayed on the day and not get to the start until around 3.30pm. There looks to be a decent path alongside the railway to Stanley pond and the road route from Black How, cutting across the side of Flat Fell, looks feasible enough to get me to Low [censored] How in reasonable time. Anyone used these diversions?

staggerindragon

« Reply #25 on: 01:25:34, 24/04/18 »
I made part of this diversion north at Black How Farm along the road and took the low, more northern path around Flat Fell.  The mist was right down to road level even in Cleator, and I didn't see the point of groping my way up Dent only to see more nothing.  
   I don't know how the route compares for time/distance exactly, but because of the easy walking on the road stretch and skipping the steep descent of Dent Hill, I bet you would walk the section above faster. (Can't speak to that Wood Lane/Abbey Wood path near the railway.  Do I remember something about this in the Wainwright C2C book?  I'll check when I get home if someone doesn't beat me to it.)  
   The Flat Fell bit was quite wet but passable.  

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 05:55:53, 24/04/18 »
I avoided the summit of Dent by turning left alnog the road and right along Nannycatch Lane on to a path between Dent and Flat fell.
Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 06:36:47, 24/04/18 »
If we all meet up though, you will all be able to recognise me, I will be the gaiterless one, with a lightweight rucksack, polyester blend trousers, a wicking underlayer and a waterproof map.

You will all be in moleskin trousers, ventile pullovers, framed canvas rucksacks and green gaiters over your hobnail boots, fighting with a mapcase on a shoelace ;D ;D

No, I'll be the same as you except I'll have a GPS, not a map, it's such old technology, and I'll have clean trousers  ;D
« Last Edit: 07:07:17, 24/04/18 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 06:39:45, 24/04/18 »
I avoided the summit of Dent by turning left alnog the road and right along Nannycatch Lane on to a path between Dent and Flat fell.

I love summits, I take diversions to get to them  ;)
Where there's a will ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 11:39:15, 24/04/18 »

, and I'll have clean trousers  ;D
O0 O0
Which is greatly appreciated in the pubs and cafes, who shouldn't be forced into cleaning down muddy chair legs etc after inconsiderate walkers have been through.
Gaiters are so easy to put on and off. I have a couple of those poly shoe covers which also ease the way into tidy establishments.
« Last Edit: 15:51:44, 24/04/18 by jimbob »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy