Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276729 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #1530 on: 22:38:09, 14/04/21 »
Brotherswater was in superb condition today, I was down there myself and (think?) I saw you in the distance sat with the dog and your lad right by the water.  I thought about a wonderfully smooth: 'it's me, FMOP off that walking forum, are you Richard?' but decided it was so tranquil and potentially awkward if it wasn't you, that I'd let everyone get on with their business.

Also passed an American trad climber setting off near Sykeside campsite in glorious sunshine (pub closed, sadly) and had a good chat with him about routes - very much inspired me for getting the rack out. 

The Lake District in a matter of days has gone from ridiculously quiet for April to bustling - I've been at Derwentwater, Buttermere, Crummock water, Ullswater and Brotherswater in the past few days and it's gone from practically deserted around Buttermere to every car park full and campsites extremely well attended.  Great to see, even though as a local it's taking some getting used to.

That was us! Hopefully we will meet next week in any case.  :)
We passed a climber too, at the lead mines above Hartsop Hall - on his way up to Dove Crag, I suspect.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1531 on: 13:02:20, 15/04/21 »
Local countryside walk from the door.

Sunny, wet, windy, warm, cold - jacket on, jacket off, buff on, buff off, gloves on, gloves off, one hat, two hats, no hat.

Exactly 18 miles in 4 hrs 20 mins. Back home in time for a coffee and a post before lunch.  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1532 on: 15:04:57, 15/04/21 »
Wizzing along there Dave.  O0

Please tell me it was reasonably flat and not 6000ft of ascent, through peat bogs or a may lose hope.  ;D

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1533 on: 16:00:32, 15/04/21 »
Wizzing along there Dave.  O0

Please tell me it was reasonably flat and not 6000ft of ascent, through peat bogs or a may lose hope.  ;D
No, it was just under 1,300ft on good surfaces Buzy.  8)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1534 on: 16:09:50, 15/04/21 »
I can’t believe I managed to find a novel circular route from the front door today by combining bits of previous loops  No new sections for me but some parts I had only done once in the opposite direction and some of it was completely new for Mrs N.  Even tied in a few miles of the 2MW!  After all these months of COVID walking, I thought I had done it to death round here, but sometimes the map can still find a surprise or two.
Solvitur Ambulando

Little Foot

« Reply #1535 on: 20:44:28, 18/04/21 »
Last week I completed my walk from Beverley to Brough, which worked out 16.25 miles. I took my little dog with me but I don't think she joyed it.

This week, I'm starting from Brough and heading to Beverley as it's more uphill in that direction and the sun won't be in my eyes. I'm also using a different route trying to incorporate a few hills, some parts of which are paths on the YWW. This route will be about 20 miles and I'll be doing it on my own. No dog and no moaning teen.

I realise I might be pushing time limits but I did the 16.25 miles in around 6-7 hrs with my dog slowing me down so fingers crossed I finish this before it gets dark!

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1536 on: 08:12:03, 20/04/21 »
Another wonderful day out on Dartmoor with MrsG on Monday. We headed up from Merivail Quary , past the stone rows. Then on past Great Mis tor to the memorial at chase tor, before returning along the valley fn the river Walkham.  A little sun burnt this morning.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1537 on: 08:19:15, 20/04/21 »
No, it was just under 1,300ft on good surfaces Buzy.  8)
1300ft over 18 miles. I reckon that equates to pretty flat Dave.  ;)

Keep up the good work. O0

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1538 on: 08:28:26, 20/04/21 »
1300ft over 18 miles. I reckon that equates to pretty flat Dave.  ;)

Keep up the good work. O0

Hi Buzy. Actually, my "No" was to agree that it certainly wasn't 6,000ft!  :)

1,300ft on a local walk is fairly typical. Indoors is a different matter altogether though - I've done 109,000ft so far this year on my incline trainer...  ;)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1539 on: 08:38:54, 20/04/21 »
Another wonderful day out on Dartmoor with MrsG on Monday. We headed up from Merivail Quary , past the stone rows. Then on past Great Mis tor to the memorial at chase tor, before returning along the valley fn the river Walkham.  A little sun burnt this morning.
I don't know Chase Tor - where is that?  I thought you might have meant Chat Tor but that seems a fair step from Great Mis and not consistent with a return via the Walkham valley.
Solvitur Ambulando

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1540 on: 17:23:58, 20/04/21 »
Had a wonderful walk today in Ashridge Forest.
My Dad is staying with us and it is such a long time since we've seen him. I needed a rucksack just to shove our lunch in and so took with us the first old canvas rucksack which he ever, and actually also the first I ever, went walking with.
At 1.5 miles with many stops it was the shortest, slowest but also nicest and special-est walk in a while.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1541 on: 17:28:30, 20/04/21 »
Had a wonderful walk today in Ashridge Forest.
My Dad is staying with us and it is such a long time since we've seen him. I needed a rucksack just to shove our lunch in and so took with us the first old canvas rucksack which he ever, and actually also the first I ever, went walking with.
At 1.5 miles with many stops it was the shortest, slowest but also nicest and special-est walk in a while.

Nice. Sometimes it isn't about scaling the peaks or covering the miles.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1542 on: 18:20:34, 20/04/21 »
I don't know Chase Tor - where is that?  I thought you might have meant Chat Tor but that seems a fair step from Great Mis and not consistent with a return via the Walkham valley.

This is Chase tor, according to a few people I have spoken to whist out walking around that area over the years.  Never seen it documented as such though.  I have also never found another name relating to a similar Grid Reference Hence I am happy to adopt the name when discussing the tor.

SX 56949 78071   

Their is a small family memorial plaque at the spot that you may have come across.  Happily the Park authorities have let it be. Not always the case.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1543 on: 18:55:40, 20/04/21 »
Thanks.  There was no Chase Tor on the list of Dartmoor tors - hence the question  Are you sure about the grid ref, there is nothing there on the map.  It appears to be about 300m ESE of the Tinners Hut Settlement at Dead Lake

Not a spot I am familiar with.
Solvitur Ambulando

GnP

• Veteran Member
`Will be walking from the town of Crickhowell in Wales tomorrow up to the peaks of Pen Cerrig calch , over to Pen Allt-mawr then Pen Twyn Glas , returning southward back toward Crickhowell .
 Forecast is in the minuses for windchill early on , but sunny most of the day...thats what I`m looking forward to , with camera in hand. 8)
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy