Author Topic: Hey I'm after some advice  (Read 1426 times)

Jas222

Hey I'm after some advice
« on: 15:07:30, 23/06/19 »
Hey, my name is Jason and I love taking my dog out on dartmoore. We've started doing longer walks and some of the tors, and would like some advice on footwear.

At the moment I've been wearing running shoes/trainers but my feet get wet quick and they also ache on the harder terrain.

I have no idea what I should be wearing on my feet, so any advice would be great thanks!  :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Hey I'm after some advice
« Reply #1 on: 16:56:36, 23/06/19 »
As I understand the choices, its a choice between, off road trainers, walking shoes and walking boots. Some people like off-road trainers, I don't like them for hiking but I do like them for off-road running. Walking shoes are great but your ankle bones are not covered. I don't go for them because I like my ankles to be covered. I've only had one pair of boots that were well above the ankle, again I didn't like them because they made my lower calves sore. That's just me of course, other people I'm sure like them very much.

Then the choice is either full leather or the more modern type of boot, a mixture of leather and fabric. I've had both. In my personal experience, the full leather ones have kept my feet dry for long periods of time, whereas the leather/fabric boots I bought, leaked rather quickly. But saying that, at the moment my boots are the leather/fabric type, they haven't leaked mainly because I haven't experienced much rain when I've been wearing them. I'm still waiting to find out.

Then, of course, there is sizing to worry about. I went to Cotswold Outdoors, they did a good job and advised me, due to my narrow ankles, to always buy women's boots. Before then I used to get blisters, now that I wear woman's boots I don't get any.  From my experience, you also need to try the boots on before you buy anything and it would be worth making a decision about, will you want to have to cushioning inserts in your boots or not? I always have them, on long hike days without them my heels become very sore. If you want inserts you may have to buy a half or a one size bigger boot.

From personal experience, I believe that, on balance, the leather/fabric type of boots are always (too strong a word?) a bit more comfortable 'straight from the box' than leather ones. Other people may suggest differently? I know in my case my leather boots needed a bit of time to bed in.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please remember though that this is only my personal opinion, other people might have very different views about your question and about my advice.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:57:34, 23/06/19 »
Depends on your budget and your walking intentions on Dartmoor.  Assuming you are straying off the gravel/metalled tracks onto green paths or into open country then I would recommend boots with a membrane lining.  I would opt for a set of leather boots if you walk all the year round and go off track a lot.  Fabric boots may suffice if you avoid the moor in the really wet seasons - however the membrane lining is often not as durable as in leather boots and once it is perforated, the boots will usually leak despite the use of  waterproofing treatment (which is water based and soon wears off in rough country).  On the other hand fabric boots are lighter and cooler in summer.  Leather boots are heavier but more durable and with proper care will stay waterproof even if the membrane perforates.  Of course, I you have the budget you could go for winter and summer options.
For what its worth, I wear good quality leather boots all the year round, augmented by gaiters in and after wet weather and always from late autumn through to spring.  As you have already found out, the going on Dartmoor can be surprisingly soggy, sometimes with little warning.
You do not say where you are based but I would suggest visiting an outdoors shop and getting properly fitted with the best boots you can afford - buying  cheaper boots is often a false economy.
Solvitur Ambulando

Jas222

« Reply #3 on: 17:15:19, 24/06/19 »
Thanks for the replies, I ended up getting a pair of karrimor bodmin mid 5 boots from gooutdoors.

Been for a 2 hour walk in them on the moors today and they were spot on :)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 00:32:04, 25/06/19 »
Welcome to the forum Jason.  Exploiting Dartmoor is a life long adventure.  O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:27:28, 26/06/19 »
Welcome to the forum from Orkney  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bigfoot_Mike