Author Topic: Hi from Worcester  (Read 2292 times)

Worcester John

Hi from Worcester
« on: 16:51:41, 31/12/17 »
Just to say Hi to everyone. When much younger, back in the '60s & '70s, I walked and rock climbed over most of Snowdonia from our hut in Nantmor. 
Now I help run a charity called the Disabled Ramblers (it’s my wife who is disabled).  Finding about 30 rambles a year takes me all over England & Wales seeking out routes of between 5 to 8 miles which are possible on off-road mobility scooters – mostly Trampers which you might have come across at many National Trust properties.  We have been, for example, to the summit of Drum at the northern end of the Carneddau in Snowdonia and up & down Mastiles Lane in the Yorkshire Dales.
On a totally different note, I’ll be looking to ask for ideas for a week’s walking abroad with my adult daughter during the May-June half term but it seems I need to rack-up some posts in the UK first!
Hope you all have a great New Year,
Worcester John

Disabled Ramblers https://disabledramblers.co.uk/ [nofollow]

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Hi from Worcester
« Reply #1 on: 10:57:11, 01/01/18 »
Welcome from Portsmouth.

The Tour du Mont Blanc, can't better it in my view. Start at Les Houches, just a stroll from Chamonix, hike anti-clockwise, takes about 10-12 days for the whole circuit, or if you want to finish half way, just walk to Cormayeur and catch a bus through back to Chamonix. Or catch a bus from Chamonix to Cormayeur and when you get there, either hike back clockwise or anti clockwise. The facilities en route are really great if you want a bit of luxury and easy living after a days walk.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:03:58, 01/01/18 »
Welcome from the Sussex coast     :)

Worcester John

« Reply #3 on: 14:46:43, 01/01/18 »
Thanks Dovegirl. 

And thanks gunwharfman - I'll just need to check that there are enough huts open at the end of May (and dig the old axe & crampons out by the sound of the info on chamonix.net
Finding accommodation is a problem I'm finding all over. Last year we went to Saalbach at the end of May and most places were showing as being full but they were just closed as were the mountain huts. There was hardly another person about. Made for very pleasant walking though!

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:28:11, 02/01/18 »
Hi John and welcome from the Peak District O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Worcester John

« Reply #5 on: 09:43:20, 02/01/18 »
Thanks Tracey, that's a great walking area you live in.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:07:34, 02/01/18 »
Welcome from (sometimes) glorious Devon.

Re your walking week with your daughter, the Polish High Tatras might be worth looking at. We had a great time walking between and staying in the refuges in the summer. They do get booked up so we were booked ahead but if you are happy to carry sleeping bags you can doss down on the floor or outside if the weather is fine; no tents allowed though.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Worcester John

« Reply #7 on: 16:57:58, 02/01/18 »
Thanks Jac – the Disabled Ramblers have done some great routes on Dartmoor.
Thanks for the suggestion of the Polish High Tatras. Again, from a quick look at website offereings, the snag is that we are stuck with going one or two weeks before the season starts.
I think we might have to go further south.  Perhaps the Spanish side of the Pyrenees, southern Spain, mid Italy or one of the Mediterranean islands. 

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:23:53, 03/01/18 »
Thanks Jac – the Disabled Ramblers have done some great routes on Dartmoor.
That's really nice to hear - I have a friend with MS and finding good 'walks' is not always easy and if the terrain is too smooth a problem occurs when I can't keep up with her!

Sorry, didn't realise the walk with your daughter would be too early for the Tatras. Save for anaother time. Incidentally, we didn't go on an organised trip but booked individually with the refuges.

Worcester John

« Reply #9 on: 19:32:44, 06/01/18 »
 Jac – I’ve looked again at the High Tatras and realise that it is the trails on the Slovakia side which are closed until mid June.  Are you able to send me any info on your trip please?  

RogerA

« Reply #10 on: 09:45:16, 09/01/18 »
Welcome to the forum

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:43:12, 09/01/18 »
Jac – I’ve looked again at the High Tatras and realise that it is the trails on the Slovakia side which are closed until mid June.  Are you able to send me any info on your trip please?  

We flew from Bristol to Krakow. Bus to Krakow bus station then bus(coach) to Zakopane; no need to book, lots of buses. Overnight at Pokoje Gościnne u Babci hotel in the Harenda area of Zakopane, a bit out of the main town but quiet, very friendly and fantastic breakfast.
Bus from Harenda (not a scheduled service but one toting for business to take people heading to Morskie Oko)we got off at Toporowa Cyrhla and walked to Morskie Oko. My partner wanted to climbed Rysy the next day.
Then, walking westwards from Schronisko (refuge) to refuge, we spent two nights at each enjoying a leisurely walk in each area the day after arrival but walking on the next day would have been fine. We stayed at Schr.Pieciu Stawow Polskich, Schr.Murownaiec, Hotel Gorski na Kalatowkach (would have prefered Schr. na Hali Kondratowej as it is very small but was already booked), Schr.Ornak. All were booked ahead by email by the friend we were travelling with. There are optional routes to take between the refuges. As it is national park you are required to stay on the marked trails which are well maintained if rocky at times but don't require heavy leather boots (at least in summer). We were a bit obvious in ours!   I carried a map http://www.mapytatr.net/PRODUKTY/MAPY_TAT/TPN/a_tpn.htm  which combined with the excellent waymarking was all we needed but our friends also had maps downloaded on a phone (I don't know exactly which but will ask if you are interested). We also had the cicerone guide but as we were doing a walk through rather than individual walks it wasn't useful. As we were booked all refuges provided bedding. Otherwise a sleeping bag would have been all we needed as no tents are allowed. Food was excellent and very polish. All refuges had recharging facilities. I think all refuges took card payments. Showers varied a bit. All refuges sold beer!
We spent a last night in the hotel in Zakopane as our friends had left their car there and also one night in Krakow to do the tourist bit (excellent ABnB apartment right beside the station/bus station). All prices were cheap when compared to UK.
I hope this is helpful.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:34:22, 09/01/18 »
Hi Worcester John,
welcome

the Nantmor Cottage wasn't the Coventry GEC climbing club hut was it by any chance. ;)

If so welcome again ;D
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Worcester John

« Reply #13 on: 23:43:07, 09/01/18 »
Jac, Thanks so much for all this detail it’s really helpful.  I’d like to know about the digital maps - I use ViewRanger but they don’t do Poland.
Hi Roger, thanks for the welcome!
Hi barewirewalker, yes, I was in the GEC Outdoor Club. 

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:30:27, 10/01/18 »
Hi barewirewalker, yes, I was in the GEC Outdoor Club.

Did you by any chance go to Chamonix in 1966?
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy