Author Topic: Looking for a 40l (ish) rucksack  (Read 1395 times)

clyoung

• Veteran Member
Looking for a 40l (ish) rucksack
« on: 23:56:18, 10/09/17 »
I usually use an Osprey Talon 22 for day walks. It's a bit tight for space in winter and I'd also like a rucksack that I can carry overnight stuff for youth hostelling in (so extra clothes, toiletries, not camping gear) but that will then compress down well to double up as a day pack, leaving the extra stuff behind at the hostel. Ideally it would have:

- large stuff pocket on the front
- bottom part can be sectioned off to make a separate compartment, accessible from the bottom
- air mesh back
- usable pockets on the waist straps
- ice axe and walking poles attachments

I've been looking at:

- Osprey Talon 44 - not sure how well it would compress down for day use?
- Lowe Alpine Airtrek 40 - ditto
- Lowe Alpine Airzone 35:45 - has bungee net rather than stuff pocket, no separate compartment but does have side access to main compartment and adjustable capacity handy
- Lowe Alpine Airzone Trek Plus 35:45
- Vango Ventis Air Pro 45 - not sure how robust this would be, other Vango stuff I've had has worn out quite quickly

Does anyone have any experience of these and can comment?

nesty

Re: Looking for a 40l (ish) rucksack
« Reply #1 on: 01:20:05, 11/09/17 »
I can only comment on the Lowe Alpine Airzone 35L. I don't do what you do.
However you can cram a lot of stuff in the Airzone's.
I have a friend who has the 35:45 and he uses it for non daytrek overnights etc and it's pretty amazing what you can get in it!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:03:26, 11/09/17 »
The only matter I can comment on is that for me the Osprey carry system is the best that I have used. I have an Exos 48L.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:12:05, 11/09/17 »
I have a Deuter Futura rucksack 32 litres I think which has a lower compartment with a removable separator and I think it meets most of the requirements on your list. Larger sizes are also available. I only use it for day walks so can't comment on overnight usuage.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:32:16, 11/09/17 »
The Osprey Exos 38 is probably worth adding to your list for a closer look.

Check YouTube for video reviews of most of those you've listed.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:03:33, 11/09/17 »

I have a Lowe Alpine airzone, think it's 45l, and it is very comfortable but a bit heavy.  I have occasionally used it as a daysack, and it seems to compress down very well.  The problem I have with it is that as I pruned down the rucksack contents it forms a disproportionate amount of the total packweight. 
I have just bought an Osprey exos 48 because it seems much lighter, but I haven't done a long walk with it yet.  Generally I get on well with Ospreys though.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:59:53, 11/09/17 »
Thanks for your comments. I get on well with the Osprey carry system too - my bank balance not so much ;-) Will have a look at the extra suggestions.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy