Author Topic: Boots  (Read 3314 times)

Villain1973uk

Boots
« on: 13:05:53, 16/09/17 »
Hi all, I'm new to the hobby of walking and going to wales soon and me and my family are going on a few walks, we hope to make it a hobby and was wondering if anyone can recommend me some cheap waterproof boots that are good (asking a lot) we won't be going up mountains but rocky paths etc, I have to buy 3 pairs that's why I need to keep the price as low as possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Boots
« Reply #1 on: 13:17:14, 16/09/17 »
Loads out there, all prices. As regards 'waterproof', that in itself might present you with a problem? I've bought 'waterproof' boots in the past, one pair leaked from the word go, another leaked after a few miles, others have never leaked. My personal view is and I'm not even suggesting that I'm correct, but from personal experience, your best chance at purchasing 'waterproof' ones, is to only go for full leather type versions.

The full leather ones I have purchased, first from Brasher, now taken over by Berghaus have never leaked, the highly stitched and patterned fashionable looking ones that I bought, have! That's my experience, I'm sure it may not be other peoples experience.

At present I wear a pair of Berghaus Superlight 2's and am very satisfied with them.

Villain1973uk

« Reply #2 on: 13:24:54, 16/09/17 »
Thanks for the reply..just had a look at them but unfortunately as I have to buy 3 pairs I can't afford that much, I'm hoping to spend about £150 on all 3 pairs!!!! I won't be going out when it's raining (fair weather walker) but perhaps early in the morning when the floor is wet etc.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:44:38, 16/09/17 »
I know families are different but when our son was young my wife and I bought ourselves 'good' boots but only bought only dirt-cheap ones for our son. We quickly realised that he would lose interest in walking, which he did (I'm tired, etc!) and became more interested in 'mates', sleepovers, sport and so on. The other important issue was that his feet were still growing, whilst ours remained the same. My wife then became less keen on walking (and then gave up when she had a hip operated on) so in the end I was and still am the only enthusiast, her boots are still in the garage, covered with dust! My son went on to rollerblading!

Villain1973uk

« Reply #4 on: 15:28:29, 16/09/17 »
Haha yes I think the same will happen so a decent cheap pair will have to do and if we like it then somewhere down the road we can look into getting a more decent pair.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:13:42, 16/09/17 »
In all honesty £50 doesn't buy you much of a boot at all and to get the best value for your limited budget you would probably be better off looking at buying second hand.

For yourself you could do a lot worse than have a look at the Altberg Defender military boots available on eBay - plenty of new and used available on there.
Sizing advice for them is available here http://www.altberg.co.uk/military/sizing-info/

These might be worth a look for the wife and/or child if they need a boot size between 3.5 and 5.5 only problem is there's nowhere for you to try before you buy so it would be a gamble on you getting the size right or returning them for exchange or refund if not right (you would need to check if this is possible with the seller before you buy).
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lowa-Munro-Womens-Leather-Lined-Dark-Brown-Walking-Boots-Various-Sizes-/321029335736
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lowa-Stirling-GORE-TEX-Womens-Dark-Brown-Walking-Boots-Various-Sizes-/321987188053

Other than that you're probably looking at budget boots from the likes of Hi-Tec, Hi Gear, Freedom Trail, Karrimor, Peter Storm, Mountain Warehouse etc - they look the part but don't expect them to last for any length of time.

Have a look at your local Go Outdoors, Millets, Blacks, Sports Direct and Mountain Warehouse (all have websites) As previously stated it's best to stay away from any models that aren't full leather. I know some branches of Go Outdoors have a rack of hardly used second hand kid's boots at reduced prices. Millets currently have a 20% OFF offer on Peter Storm using code OUTDOORS at checkout.

This guide may help http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/expert-advice/hill-walking-boots and this older Go Outdoors video is worth watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ9hb65XfIs and explains what you need to be looking for to suit the type of walking you do.

Lastly don't forget to factor in the cost of getting some decent walking socks and some wax to keep the leather in good condition and waterproof.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:31:57, 16/09/17 »
Even though many here on the forum, do not not like them much, Karrimor boots, sold in JJB Sports & Sports Direct, are good enough quality for your needs, especially when your looking for three pairs of them.
If your unsure about taking up walking full time, then its unwise to blow the bank on big name boots.

I recon you could get your three pairs, for a fair bit under the £150, and who knows, if walking becomes a regular event, then you can get better quality gear.

Karrimor boots, represent good value, if your not spending a lot of money.

Good luck.

Liz S

« Reply #7 on: 17:47:01, 16/09/17 »
https://www.regattaoutlet.co.uk/kids/shop-by/product_category/footwear/product_types/walking_boots/ [nofollow]. I'd look at these for your child and for yourselves I'd spend the money and get a some leather gortext boots if you want dry feet. You'll always have them and you can also use them for bad weather in the winter.

Villain1973uk

« Reply #8 on: 19:16:02, 16/09/17 »
Well thanks for all the help you all have been fantastic, I'm off to sports soccer in the morning, this seems to a great friendly forum that I will be coming back to....

Happy walking 👍

willow229

« Reply #9 on: 19:17:24, 16/09/17 »
When my Son was younger and used to come walking with me I bought his a pair of HiTec boots from Go Outdoors, they were fine and served him well. I think I paid around £40 for them form Go Outdoors. I was reluctant to pay anymore as he was still growing.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:08:51, 16/09/17 »
Even though many here on the forum, do not not like them much, Karrimor boots, sold in JJB Sports & Sports Direct, are good enough quality for your needs, especially when your looking for three pairs of them.
If your unsure about taking up walking full time, then its unwise to blow the bank on big name boots.

I recon you could get your three pairs, for a fair bit under the £150, and who knows, if walking becomes a regular event, then you can get better quality gear.

Karrimor boots, represent good value, if your not spending a lot of money.

Good luck.

I used a pair of cheap Karrimor shoes from Sports Direct and found them to be more than adequate for walking the Cleveland Way (110miles) with a 15kg pack.A very comfortable shoe,waterproof in wet grass and light rain and good value for money at £22.Back in 1989 a pair of high end boots I was wearing  fell apart  after three days on the Pennine Way and I had to use a pair of ten quid trainers that I was carrying.They did the job and I got to the finish blister free but I was lucky in that I had very little in the way of rain.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-summit-waterproof-mens-walking-shoes-183458?colcode=18345890

I agree with DA that its best not to spend a lot of money on kit until you are sure you want to continue with the activity.

thomasdevon

« Reply #11 on: 08:32:57, 17/09/17 »
I got some   Hi Gear Snowdons at   £45 from GO Outdoors this summer. Leather, waterproof, ankle padded, quick release hooks. Boots good so far but laces needed replacing very quickly. So far so good though.  

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:23:52, 17/09/17 »
I'm the only one in the family with half decent boots, as I use them much more often. The wife and kids make do with Karrimor and Decathlon ones and are perfectly happy with them.

They're not as good but they're cheap and good enough, apparently.

Kids in particular may not need, or even want, full grain leather boots. They're gonna grow out of them in 6months and just want a comfy, blister free experience. So the fabric ones are a good bet IME. Then you can spend a bit more.of the money on the adults. I can recommend the Decathlon ones. My son just did about 12 hours walking on the hills over 2 days. Didn't complain once.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:07:39, 17/09/17 »
If you're not going out on wet moorland, then some Karrimor walking shoes from JJB might be just the ticket. I have a pair for summer walks and they are very comfy, they have a thick inner sole, but not water proof. 

walkingthedog

« Reply #14 on: 10:18:58, 18/09/17 »
IMHO if your not walking in the rain or up mountainous terrain try going for walking shoes unless you want the boots for more support and stability. :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy