Author Topic: Boots  (Read 3307 times)

Villain1973uk

Re: Boots
« Reply #15 on: 18:40:20, 18/09/17 »
Well I opted for karrimor munro boots as the independent had them number 8 in 10 best boots and said they are very waterproof... that are full grain leather...went for a short walk in our local park and was very comfortable but can't say as to how waterproof they actually are as only went through some small puddles.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 23:51:53, 18/09/17 »
When I started hiking many years ago, I did not know whether I would like it and had no brass so I bought the cheapest leather boots I could find and blathered them in Nickwax (or whatever was around at the time). I think they were made in Poland. However, they worked pretty well and lasted two or three years until I needed to buy more and could afford something a bit better. They were comfy too.

I Googled cheap leather boots and found these. If you get the Go outdoors discount card for a fiver, you could get some serviceable boots under budget. Don't be brand proud!

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/freedom-trail-derwent-iii-mens-waterproof-walking-boots-p300287

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 13:49:40, 19/09/17 »
Well I opted for karrimor munro boots as the independent had them number 8 in 10 best boots and said they are very waterproof... that are full grain leather...went for a short walk in our local park and was very comfortable but can't say as to how waterproof they actually are as only went through some small puddles.

I'm sure they'll be just fine.

You're gonna want to wear them in properly since they're made of leather. You might get away with going on a proper long walk up hills etc without it but you might not, and if you don't, it will be miserable. Wearing around the house helps a bit, but it's no substitute for doing some longish walks.

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:14:00, 19/09/17 »
If you want to keep them waterproof you need to wash off the mud when you get home and treat the leather to keep it supple. There are loads of different treatments out there from shoe polish to wax, I use dubbin and remove the laces before working it well into the leather and welts. Removing the laces enables you to coat the whole of the tongue which can be prone to cracking because the leather creases as you lace the boots up. My current Brasher boots have remained waterproof after a few thousand miles even on Dartmoor which can be a good test for waterproofness.

Good luck with the walking.

Regards Keith

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy