Author Topic: New smartphone for Sat Nav  (Read 8295 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: New smartphone for Sat Nav
« Reply #15 on: 12:18:43, 10/01/17 »
I just carry a backup battery pack when I hike, made by Anker, huge amount of makes and models to choose from.

Charging leads are interesting little items as well! When I bought my Oneplus3 I didn't realise it at the time but it uses a Type-C lead (no idea what this means) to charge it (now I know) and so I thought I'd better get a spare. I popped into two big company high street phone shops, the first wanted £18 the second £21! I then walked along to a local market stall and bought one from him - £6! Ok, a different make maybe, but I don't care as long as it works!

Cairncamper

« Reply #16 on: 13:22:40, 10/01/17 »
If you buy a dedicated GPS, you're being ripped off, and that's it, period.

I was gonna say the only benefit of using a dedicated device is to be able to swap out batteries for AA, or AAA batteries which are sold everywhere, and still the most easy to find batteries, but like gun wharfman said, there's a load of all sorts of powerbanks to buy, and they're pretty cheap.

Actually, one of the benefits of using a dedicated gps is the screen still working when its raining, but meh, you can still use your phone in the rain, so they're still a rip off.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 14:44:59, 10/01/17 »
Actually it really depends on how you're using it.  For some folks a phone will be fine, others will benefit from a dedicated device.  It's like saying if you buy a camera you're being ripped off cos your phone has a camera  ;)

I use both.  For some activities my phone is fine, for others my GPS is better, and even then I have two and depending on what I'm doing influences which one I use.  To simply say the phone is always better is wrong.
Where there's a will ...

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:54:23, 10/01/17 »
If I had a penny for every time this old chestnut came up, I'd have enough money to buy a Satmap, lol.

Everyone has their own opinion and every one is correct, if a phone/gps gets them from A to B safely, that's all that matters. Is an Etrex 20 better than a Satmap? Probably not but mine has got me through many National Trails etc as well as day walks and that's all that matters.

Personally, I prefer my phone to be safe and sound in my backpack incase I need it rather than using it for navigation in all weathers but that's just MY opinion  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

MikeW

« Reply #19 on: 09:17:05, 11/01/17 »
Thanks for the extra info.

1 thing that seems to come up again and again is AA batteries. Well, I have to say I'd rather have my power stored in a lithium battery for many reasons - capacity, weight, minimal self discharge, no leakage rusting away the battery contacts effectively destroying the expensive device etc. However if you are one of those who have shunned so much modern equipment because it does not take normal "aa batteries which you can buy from anywhere" I suggest you get one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-AA-Battery-Emergency-USB-Power-Bank-Charger-For-Samsung-iPhone-Sony-Elegant-/272249545362?var=&hash=item3f63566292:m:mskUH5f0jYY1L2uQ0pssSCA its £1.39 delivered. It takes normal aa batteries and charges up anything usb. Solving all your problems and enabling you to embrace a whole host of new technology. I won't be getting one. I already have one that takes rechargeable lithium 18650 batteries.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 09:32:50, 11/01/17 »
It is hilarious how excited people get about this issue.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 12:29:58, 11/01/17 »
It is hilarious but for me, if I feel I've got it right it makes the hike so much more enjoyable. Its the external battery that has changed my daily hiking routine for the better. Before I used one I had to find a place to charge my smartphone every day. But now I only have to worry about this problem every 3rd day, a big improvement.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 12:34:46, 11/01/17 »
And if you get a scent solar charger on the back of your rucksack then you can recharge your batteries on the hoof. They are quite light and through ebog quite cheap. I have one that folds out to A4 size and on a dull day charges  my battery bank in a little over 5 hours walking and the phone alone from empty in about three. On a bright day then it may be quicker but I have not been able to test that yet😊
Too little, too late, too bad......

MikeW

« Reply #23 on: 13:31:10, 11/01/17 »
I'm potentially interested in a solar charger...Just been waiting for the price to come down a bit.
What make / model have you got please?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 13:38:29, 11/01/17 »
MikeW will  look at it when I get home tonight and let you know.

Leaving the windy east coast of Northumberland soon en route to the southern flatlands that are Lincolnshire. 

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 14:29:37, 11/01/17 »
TBH, I carry spare AA batteries in a little plastic bag in a pocket in my pack. They weigh next to nothing and a pair of AAs lasts for days even though the GPS is switched on all the time I am walking. I just run my GPS until I get a low battery alarm, then put new batteries in and carry on. When I get home, I recycle and replace the used pair. It doesn't need to be more complicated than that.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 16:02:54, 11/01/17 »
Me too ... And no need to go around looking like a mobile electricity station  ;)
Where there's a will ...

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 22:38:35, 11/01/17 »
I took a Choetech solar panel with me on my summer trip to Lapland last years to charge my DeLorme inReach tracker and phone as I was away for fifteen days. It weighs 280g, I used it every couple of days on the tracker which would typically be showing around 75% charge in that time. It took about a half to one hour to bring it back to full charge. Using viewranger on the phone wasn't a success, I not sure why but think it could have been due to less satellites around up there. So I didn't have the phone on, so didn't run the battery down, so didn't try it on the solar panel. As it was the land of the mid-night sun and I was only using it for short spells every now and again I didn't see the need to have it hanging off my pack but did see others doing just that.
The trouble with that way of using it is you don't walk like a robot you swing from the hips. So the panel is swinging about on your back and not facing the sun as much as you would think. For the best output you want to keep it square on to the sun, so that it puts out a steady current. I propped mine up on a rock or hung it from a tree.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 12:13:22, 12/01/17 »
MikeW the charger I have is a "Portapow" 14w Solar Charger.
Weight including all cables needed and 4 small aluminium carabiners - 300g
Size about the thickness of a dvd case and not that much bigger when folded, When unfolded about A4 size.

I usually charge a battery pack. I suppose that you could use it to recharge AA rechargeable batteries if you can get a charging unit that takes USB. But I don't know enough about that sort of thing.

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 09:11:55, 09/02/17 »
Hi,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Blackview-BV5000-4G-SmartPhone-IP67-16GB-13MP-5000mAh-Android-5-1-2XSIM-Cell-/361315733269?hash=item5420188f15:g:bEMAAOSw241YgIWW

Under £100, waterproof, shockproof. Battery lasts 2 or 3 days with GPS always on. It is also a powerbank and can recharge other items. 5.5" screen.
I have used this phone for a year or so. It slips in my pocket. It acts as a car sat nav too. 13MG pixel camera. You can even watch telly, films etc.. (not whilst walking, but in your tent at night?) Email, Fb, frankly anything a computer can do.
It will store OS maps at 1:25,000 for the whole of the UK.

I fail to see how it is inferior to any dedicated GPS. most of which have a 2.5" screen at best.
AND you can turn the phone off.  ::)
Oh, and IF you are still worried about power, take a couple of spare batteries too.
So, just how is a dedicated GPS superior?
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy