Author Topic: How I have solved the problem of rain cheaply!  (Read 1983 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
How I have solved the problem of rain cheaply!
« on: 14:21:58, 18/06/19 »
I'd like to think that I now know a little bit about hiking and about how to manage the different weathers that we all experience. My irritation was about rain, no problems really with the other types of weather. I started in a traditional way, bought an expensive Paramo waterproof jacket (£250 at the time) and a pair of not so expensive waterproof trousers. The coat was OK, but I soon hated the trousers, put them on, take them off, hot and wet in all the wrong places, always disrupting my walking pace and flow!

I tried a poncho, not bad, but I found again difficult to put on and off, when to do it, when not to do it, again each time disruption and lots of messing about. Then I tried a rain skirt, made of Silnylon, much better, weighed about 1-2 oz, on and off in a few seconds, I felt now that I wasn't a slave to rain. I could even carry on walking as I change from skirt to no skirt, all I had to be wearing was my Paramo coat and my Rab gaiters and I was fine.

I then decided to treat rain as a totally different problem to all of the other weathers. I no longer wear my Paramo (except to go to my local pub in the winter) and I now have a small bag, filled with my gaiters and a long £15 waterproof coat strapped to my rucksack. When it rains I just slip on my rainjacket, when it stops, but looks like it may rain again or it just drizzles, I just open it up, or zip it again, to stay cool and to dry out any perspiration that may have built up inside the jacket and stroll on until I make the decision to take it off permanently for the day. I've written in about this before, but I can confidently say now that I have made a great decision for myself (i.e. separating rain from the other weathers) and I just wished I thought of it long ago.

I can now use two methods to beat the rain, one is to use my long waterproof coat and gaiters and the other is to use my second £15 waterproof coat, (I've cut the bottom off of this one) plus my rain skirt and gaiters. Any spending for me these days, expensive or otherwise, is now concentrated on every other type of hiking clothing. For example, I have ordered a Rab Vital windproof jacket because I now know that the main weather I dislike the most is wind and cold. Rain for me is now a minor issue.

Obviously buying a £250 waterproof jacket is a personal choice to make, but for any newbies out there who want to hike, may believe that there is no real alternative, please think again because there is!

Dread

Re: How I have solved the problem of rain cheaply!
« Reply #1 on: 14:58:12, 18/06/19 »
Nice idea. I used to wear a cheap Mountain Warehouse Pacamac with Lidl quick dry hiking trousers, 20 quid the lot and did for me in all weathers. Never bothered with gaiters. Picked up a cheap Precip recently which is an improvement on the Pacamac but I'd like to try a longer coat. Where did you get yours from?

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:13:59, 18/06/19 »
Years ago, at a cricket match at Edgbaston...rain lashed it down about 5 minutes after play had ended for day.

I was dressed in summer clothing, no coat..so was wondering how I could walk 20 minutes to rail station without getting soaked.

Then saw a guy...about 50 yards away selling what were effectively big polythene bags with a head sized hole for 2 quid each. I bought one, got to station, took bag off, binned it...and got on train bone dry.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:23:46, 18/06/19 »
Stay in or take shelter if it rains?
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:58:10, 18/06/19 »
There's a lot to be said for the cheaper approach.  I've been repacking my rucsac today in preparation for my C2C that starts next Thursday.  Various stuff has been added/removed until I felt I had the right mix of kit, last thing to decide was which waterproof?  I have three, an older Berghaus 3 layer job, bought by my wife as a present for me one Christmas, as my older Berghaus was in her words 'tatty'.  (It's still in my car as a 'just in case' coat)

I didn't have the heart to explain that I'd decided to go a cheaper/lighter route for my normal day walks, just to cover the occasional shower, but later bought a Marmot Precip, a single layer waterproof.  My third jacket is a Keela Munro MRT jacket, issued to me by Sussex Search and Rescue.

Of the three my 'jacket of choice' for the Pennine Way is the Berghaus, but on other lower level routes I've used the Precip.  I've just dressed myself in all three (not at the same time obvs) and sprayed myself with the garden hose, all are beading perfectly.  So a quandary, which to take as apart from the Lakeland fells the rest is fairly low level stuff.  I've decided if the forecast for the first 4 days looks OK it'll be the lighter Precip, but if the forecast looks bad I'll take the Berghaus.  Fingers crossed!

(interestingly but off topic the spine compulsory equipment list states a waterproof with taped seams, and I only realised today (I'm now getting OCD about kit with the Challenger coming up in January) that the Precip has taped seams, not sure I'd want a single skin waterproof on the Pennine Way in January though :) )
« Last Edit: 16:01:38, 18/06/19 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:05:28, 18/06/19 »
Before hiking became as popular as it is today, and dedicated hill walkers were few. Mountain rescue consisted of Gaberdine wearing ambulancemen with just a few mountain rescue teams in their infancy. Footwear was Commando Soled boots with nailed clinks attached, standard Anorac or Commando jacket. Raingear was a Cycling Cape and Sowesta hat, that covered both person and rucksack. No Goretex etc then, the wind would try to blow the cape off you so you would walk along grasping as much of it around you and pull it in. If it hammered it down you would simply crouch down until it passed with the cape on the ground around you.When it's on the cool side, not warm or hot, but it looks like rains a possibilty, I like my fabric Rohan trousers with their seperate waterproof lining. Very comfortable to wear. If it rains I just don hat and jacket, everything may get soaked on the outside, but the trouser dry really qickly when the rain stops, no messing with waterproof trousers on abnd off.

dave_p

« Reply #6 on: 16:15:03, 18/06/19 »

I then decided to treat rain as a totally different problem to all of the other weathers. I no longer wear my Paramo (except to go to my local pub in the winter) and I now have a small bag, filled with my gaiters and a long £15 waterproof coat strapped to my rucksack. When it rains I just slip on my rainjacket, when it stops, but looks like it may rain again or it just drizzles, I just open it up, or zip it again, to stay cool and to dry out any perspiration that may have built up inside the jacket and stroll on until I make the decision to take it off permanently for the day. I've written in about this before, but I can confidently say now that I have made a great decision for myself (i.e. separating rain from the other weathers) and I just wished I thought of it long ago.

I have to admit I don't follow this at all.    Doesn't everyone carry a waterproof coat/jacket which they wear when needed and remove when not needed?  What did you do before?  If I'm undertanding this, all you've got is a cheap coat to put on when it rains which has no breathable membrane.  That's fine if you're only getting short showers or are on very undemanding terrain but what happens when you're mountain walking in proper weather when it lashes down all day?

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:13:59, 18/06/19 »
I have to admit I don't follow this at all.    Doesn't everyone carry a waterproof coat/jacket which they wear when needed and remove when not needed?  What did you do before?  If I'm undertanding this, all you've got is a cheap coat to put on when it rains which has no breathable membrane.  That's fine if you're only getting short showers or are on very undemanding terrain but what happens when you're mountain walking in proper weather when it lashes down all day?

I don’t go “proper” walking nowadays any time temperature gets over 20 degrees C.

So nine times out of ten just wear a Paramo Velez Adventure Light, leave it on most of time..undo side vent zips if too warm, fasten them up if too cold, or wear a warmer mid layer.

I find I’m comfortable that way in large majority of UK conditions...and it saves faff of taking layers on and off as and when it rains, etc.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:52:51, 18/06/19 »
When I seriously started to hike I just went along with what I was told by the pundits who write about these things. The way to go is a waterproof jacket, all different prices I know, but that was it. It's still exactly the same today, you only have to read The Great Outdoors and other serious and reputable articles and people and they are all pushing the same line, buy a waterproof jacket, usually the more expensive the better and obviously creating the 'best' companies at the same time. Rab to me is a perfect example of good marketing. I like some of there stuff a lot, just can't be bothered or need to look at waterproof jackets anymore.

For me, rain is usually an intermittent problem, it tends to rain for a while, sometimes heavily, maybe drizzle afterward or before and with or without dry periods in between. When I think back over the last 10 years I can remember days when it rained heavily for hours, sometimes the whole day, even into the night as well, but in my mind, those days have not been that many when compared with all of the other hiking days I've done.

I now concentrate on what I judge to be 'normal' weather, rain a bit, drizzle a bit and dry for a while and I feel that my wet weather clothing should reflect that and for me to be able to quickly adapt to whatever comes my way. I have long passed the routine of donning a waterproof jacket and leggings and just keeping them on longer than necessary, just in case it might rain later, or by making the mistake of changing and then it does rain later and having to go through the whole rigmarole again and again

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:32:36, 18/06/19 »
In case of really bad weather or rain I recently purchased a Vango Storm shelter. Yet to try it in anger, but the 4 man (so two man really) can be had for around £25, 2 man a bit less

I've got the bigger one as we often have 5 or 6 with us so all gear and dogs can be kept out of the conditions.
Keeps you dry and warm! Ok you can't really walk in it (though you probably can actually, it's like a mobile tent).
Definitely not traditional but can keep the rain / snow/ cold off to eat your sarnies at the risk of looking odd (they are bright bright orange!)
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

andybr

« Reply #10 on: 09:39:56, 19/06/19 »
If I am going to start walking in heavy rain which I know will continue for most or all of my walk I would wear my trusty old Paramo Cascada. When I was still working I used to do this regularly for my 2 hour walk to work (and 2 hours back) and it never let me down. For most walks, however, I tend to avoid days when I know the weather will be bad and have a very different approach. this is especially true for multi day trips where I try to carry as little as possible. In these instances I will take a "showerproofed" windproof (Fuera treated with TX direct) which I am happy to wear in light rain for short periods plus a pound shop poncho which covers both myself and my pack in the case of unexpected heavy rain. In practice I have hardly ever had to use the poncho as I just don't walk in conditions which require it if I can possibly help it.

dave_p

« Reply #11 on: 10:59:48, 19/06/19 »
When I seriously started to hike I just went along with what I was told by the pundits who write about these things. The way to go is a waterproof jacket, all different prices I know, but that was it. It's still exactly the same today, you only have to read The Great Outdoors and other serious and reputable articles and people and they are all pushing the same line, buy a waterproof jacket, usually the more expensive the better and obviously creating the 'best' companies at the same time. Rab to me is a perfect example of good marketing. I like some of there stuff a lot, just can't be bothered or need to look at waterproof jackets anymore.

For me, rain is usually an intermittent problem, it tends to rain for a while, sometimes heavily, maybe drizzle afterward or before and with or without dry periods in between. When I think back over the last 10 years I can remember days when it rained heavily for hours, sometimes the whole day, even into the night as well, but in my mind, those days have not been that many when compared with all of the other hiking days I've done.

I now concentrate on what I judge to be 'normal' weather, rain a bit, drizzle a bit and dry for a while and I feel that my wet weather clothing should reflect that and for me to be able to quickly adapt to whatever comes my way. I have long passed the routine of donning a waterproof jacket and leggings and just keeping them on longer than necessary, just in case it might rain later, or by making the mistake of changing and then it does rain later and having to go through the whole rigmarole again and again
I'm still utterly perplexed by what you're doing or what you used to do?  You don't want to keep your waterproof on longer than necessary but neither do you want to keep keep changing? 

Also, I can only assume you've been very lucky with weather.  I was recently on a longish trip through Scotland and at no point in a three day period did it completely stop raining.  I was very grateful for having a decent hardshell jacket and trousers.  In your set-up with a non-breathable coat and non-waterproof trousers, I would have been thoroughly wet and miserable - top half from sweat, bottom half from rain.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:00:13, 19/06/19 »
... this is especially true for multi day trips where I try to carry as little as possible. In these instances I will take a "showerproofed" windproof (Fuera treated with TX direct) which I am happy to wear in light rain for short periods plus a pound shop poncho which covers both myself and my pack in the case of unexpected heavy rain. In practice I have hardly ever had to use the poncho as I just don't walk in conditions which require it if I can possibly help it.

Difficult surely if on a multi-day trips, do you just sit around and wait if it rains on Day 2 etc?
Where there's a will ...

dave_p

« Reply #13 on: 11:15:21, 19/06/19 »
Difficult surely if on a multi-day trips, do you just sit around and wait if it rains on Day 2 etc?
Exactly!  We live in a notoriously rainy island.  I just don't see how people are coping with proper weather if they don't have proper waterproofs.  I was out for a few days a week or so ago, and we all know wha the weather's been like, even in June!  Again, I was in my hardshell jacket and trousers, waterproof boots, hood pulled in tight, waterproof gloves on. My gloves are getting old now and they're starting to leak slightly.  Even that small amount of damp getting in left me getting cold hands - in June! 

What happens when severe weather sets in in winter and you're somewhere remote? 

I don't go out walking ever without throwing my waterproofs in my pack.  Both are lightweight - jacket 230g, trousers 140g and take up next to no weight.  If it rains I put them on.  If it stops I take them off.  I really can't see what would make me change doing this.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:41:19, 19/06/19 »
I only use gloves to keep my hands warm, to keep my hands dry I use cut off sleeves (cut at the elbow) from an old Gore-Tex jacket I no longer use, they just secure to my wrists under my waterproof jacket, works a treat!

If I was to decide to buy a 'proper' waterproof jacket (ie an expensive one!) I would still purchase a Marmot Precip, when I wore mine it always worked well. Its only problem now is some of the waterproof lining has been scratched off in the hood. My fault, I didn't realize that it was the velcro that holds the hood in the rolled up position was the culprit.

I must admit and this goes for all jackets no matter how expensive or cheap they are, I'm never confident that any of do actually 'breathe?'

My £15 jacket says its breathable and my £250 jacket says it's breathable, I can't personally say that I've noticed any difference between them! What I have noticed however is that once a bit of condensation builds up on the inside in either of them and I open the jackets to dry air, my £15 jacket dries more quickly! Odd that!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy