Author Topic: Every walking photo tells a story  (Read 48835 times)

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
Re: Every walking photo tells a story
« Reply #180 on: 15:54:48, 07/07/16 »

Saltwick Bay

Whitby from the Cleveland Way

Had been thinking of going across to the lakes but once again the weather forecast for the hills was naff so we headed for the east coast.

Another of my little objectives for the summer was to visit Saltwick bay (nr Whitby) for the sunset, as its tidal so this involves getting a decent sunset to coincide with at low tide.

Lo and behold the cherries lined up for us so we decided to time a walk so that we finished up at Saltwick bay approx 21.30 hrs and keep our fingers crossed that we got a decent sunset.

I never tire of sunsets or sunrise's like these and find them quite a spiritual experience anyhow we might of got back to the car in darkness BUT drove home enlightened by the experience.

Remains of the trawler Admiral von Trump, wrecked at Saltwick Bay in 1976.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #181 on: 20:37:56, 07/07/16 »
Just look what's happened to him since leaving Saltwick Bay in '76 and starting up business in New York !
Astounding photos MWM - could be the best yet  O0

PS - on a theme of sunsets as well as the previous conversation about views out of car windows (rear view mirrors) - a little music may make the mood !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TSz30Nj2n4
« Last Edit: 23:49:07, 07/07/16 by Innominate Man »
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #182 on: 15:24:17, 08/07/16 »
Just look what's happened to him since leaving Saltwick Bay in '76 and starting up business in New York !
Astounding photos MWM - could be the best yet  O0

PS - on a theme of sunsets as well as the previous conversation about views out of car windows (rear view mirrors) - a little music may make the mood !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TSz30Nj2n4

Magic stuff

On the theme of sunsets here is another one:-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuzVwiL1i5M

Whenever god shines his light from the Avalon Sunset album

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #183 on: 22:51:27, 08/07/16 »
beautiful seascapes
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #184 on: 07:35:48, 09/07/16 »
beautiful seascapes

Yes thanks guys its great when a plan works..................

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #185 on: 07:58:40, 09/07/16 »

A couple of shots from earlier in the Saltwick day. As we were tide watching and planned to be out untill almost 23.00 we started late from Cowbar so we could catch the high tide at Staiths and allow time to get to Saltwick for the low tide at sunset...Timing is everthing.

As I always say variety is the spice of life so I have been playing about with black and white for these shots of Staiths............

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #186 on: 11:17:07, 11/07/16 »

A few more photos from the Saltwick Bay walk.

My take on Whitby Abbey Steps classic shots, adding a bit of variety of style to the photos on the day, we had to wait until quite late for the crowds to disperse to get these shots then sprint along the coast to catch the sunset at Saltwick...................

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #187 on: 12:19:49, 11/07/16 »
Fabulous shots - Saltwick/Staithe should use you for their marketing.

Love the sepia(?) effect and curious how you get the almost cartoon/painted effect.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #188 on: 13:08:43, 11/07/16 »
Great photos & interesting the way they are displayed - agree with Jac, they look like paintings.
Is the chap on the steps photo-shopped in ? 
I can't believe I've never been there !!  But I will now.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Trailaway

« Reply #189 on: 07:23:18, 12/07/16 »

Coastal view from the summit of Is Seddas

Who's turn is it to wear the nylon blouse, rubber skirt and fetishist mittens!!!!!

It all started a couple of days into the Sardinia trip, Stevie is a keen paddler and keeps two very smart sea canoes at the apartment. Although this was primarily a walking trip he was itching to get out on the water............

He was not so much looking as pressing for volunteers, therefore none of us were trying to show any sign of weakness. Under pressure, Ian who had never been in a canoe in his life, cracked, showing only a chink of interest, he was snapped up before he knew wot ad appened.

The venue was close to the appartment so we dropped team tranny off at the beach, canoes, skirts and all.
H and I did a tour of one of the coastal hills called 'Is Seddas', superb coastal views from a suprisingly rocky summit, had a great day!!!!!

Arrived to pick them up at the agreed time, found Ian had not been to confident in the swell so they had just gone up the beach a kilometer and back. Had an early finish and hit the bar.

Muggins had to load the boats up and get everyone safely back to the digs.

What a work of art, the photography is nothing less than brilliant! what a beautiful place to have visited! where is this? its gotta be on the bucket list! Thanks for the photo

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #190 on: 21:34:09, 14/07/16 »
Fabulous shots - Saltwick/Staithe should use you for their marketing.

Love the sepia(?) effect and curious how you get the almost cartoon/painted effect.

Great photos & interesting the way they are displayed - agree with Jac, they look like paintings.
Is the chap on the steps photo-shopped in ? 
I can't believe I've never been there !!  But I will now.

Thanks guys,
The guy on the steps was in the wrong place so I shifted him.

Yes I think we are so lucky to live on an island with a coastline nearby its superb and has provided literally hundreds of great days out for me when its been rain stop play in the mountains.

H calls this effect toytown photos its created using one of the efex filters, a free download, see below.

I do my B/W conversions with Silver FX which is currently available free along with other 'NIK' products here:
https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #191 on: 22:09:03, 14/07/16 »

What a work of art, the photography is nothing less than brilliant! what a beautiful place to have visited! where is this? its gotta be on the bucket list! Thanks for the photo

Thanks

The photo is looking North up the East coast of Sardinia near Santa Maria Navarrese

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #192 on: 09:39:59, 15/07/16 »
Not going to quote your photo's midweekmountain, but they are the best I have ever seen of this area. Do you enter photo competitions with work like this? You would have a good chance of winning.
Ilona

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #193 on: 09:42:21, 15/07/16 »
Just seen the rest of them, you need an exhibition.
Ilona

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #194 on: 12:04:07, 15/07/16 »
The next question is what do you do with your photos, I don't know about you guys but I have tens of thousands of photos stored and backed up gathering dust, some are naff some are ok.

Thanks for your kind comments Illona,

Yes I do enter comps and have had some success BUT rarely put comp stuff on here.

As I have said before I am really using this site/thread as a showcase for a handfull of the thousands of rejects gathering dust on my various hardrives.

Many are decent, work in progress, ideas BUT not technically good enough for comps..................YET.

The Staiths/Whitby set are my first real attempt in that area and they show promise so I have analysed the mistakes and will go back and have another go, eventually I will get it right and put them in a comp.

I have to select 6 photos for an exhibition in August, I tend to do better in competitive exhibitions than straight comps.
Cos comp judges are all superb techy photographers and members of the Royal Society of Photographers, so they judge on the technical qualities of the photo rather than the aesthetic's.

In the competitive exhibitions where the public vote cos they like the piccy more then the techy aspects, I do better.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy