Author Topic: A question of ettiquette...(ish)  (Read 6422 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
A question of ettiquette...(ish)
« on: 21:17:36, 23/04/07 »
We're doing a what should be a very easy amble this weekend and I'm going to post some pictures up (with interesting features gaining particular attention for Mr Blister).

So, we have a photo section and routes/area section.

Where would you prefer the route and subsequent pictures to be posted? Peak District or photo's?

Thanks to Photoshop the weather will look lovely and bright (even if it isn't), thanks to memory map and GPS we won't get lost (hopefully, or not too much) and no thanks to a stinking head cold I'll be suffering (maybe).

The walk is centered on Birchover village, going west near Robin Hoods Stride and the castle mound, then east to Stanton Moor and the nine ladies. About 7 miles in total so shorter than usual but promises some interesting sights. 
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

M J B

Re: A question of ettiquette...(ish)
« Reply #1 on: 21:39:27, 23/04/07 »
I camped up there a couple of weeks back, nice little place. I would be interested in your route as its not that far from me.

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:46:42, 23/04/07 »
I'll include some detail in the route report. Only parts of it are planned (as in things we want to see) but there's various things we may go and see if time permits as well.

So it will be a rambling report no doubt, and if I've had a beer whilst writing it, a very rambling report.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:34:37, 24/04/07 »
Well, if it's a question of etiquette ... then I'd say post 'em in the photography section.  If it's more related to the Peak District, then put 'em in there ... or confuse everyone and just put 'em in both  ;D

Just read on the net that the nine sisters are under threat from a nearby quarry??

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:32:06, 24/04/07 »
Well, if it's a question of etiquette ... then I'd say post 'em in the photography section.  If it's more related to the Peak District, then put 'em in there ... or confuse everyone and just put 'em in both  ;D

Just read on the net that the nine sisters are under threat from a nearby quarry??

I knew the nine ladies had to be closed on occasion due to the sheer volume of tourists (which is why, ideally, I'd do this in the week) causing severe erosion. There's quite a bit of quarrying in Derbyshire, I hope sites like these aren't affected.

Then again you also get inspired plans of building a by-pass around Matlock with a large Sainsburys. Now Matlock could really use a by-pass so I hope they pick a sensible and none too damaging route, not too sure about a big sainsburys though.

They ought to get their fingers out about re-opening the rail line to Manchester again as well. It's been talked about for years. The break in the track is only 13 miles or so to Buxton, seems silly not to.

[fx: looks up. God god I'm turning into Bill Bryson]
Dazza
--------

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:54:36, 24/04/07 »
Hmm, the semblance is uncanny.  ;)

I don't see what the big excitement is with disused railway lines, I find them incurably dull and lifeless, I try to avoid walking on them if I can, and only use them if they form a short part of a larger walk.  Probably no great loss if they were turned back into railway lines.  :-\

I find it a question of ethics. Ancient sites should be made accessible to the public, but steps have to be taken to preserve their integrity, when they become 'over used', there should be some method of keeping people at bay.  Maybe not as extreme as when they fenced off Stonehenge, but perhaps a small fence.  People en masse would generally respect it would they not?

What if they moved the nine sisters and replaced it with a Sainsburys? Would that improve the site?  ;D

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:40:26, 24/04/07 »
Hmm, the semblance is uncanny.  ;)

I don't see what the big excitement is with disused railway lines, I find them incurably dull and lifeless, I try to avoid walking on them if I can, and only use them if they form a short part of a larger walk.  Probably no great loss if they were turned back into railway lines.  :-\

I find it a question of ethics. Ancient sites should be made accessible to the public, but steps have to be taken to preserve their integrity, when they become 'over used', there should be some method of keeping people at bay.  Maybe not as extreme as when they fenced off Stonehenge, but perhaps a small fence.  People en masse would generally respect it would they not?

What if they moved the nine sisters and replaced it with a Sainsburys? Would that improve the site?  ;D

Well the Matlock Buxton route is supposed to be turned into a railway line, which if done might negate tearing up part of Derbyshire for a by-pass?

Without wanting to denigrate the rest of the country, the problem is one of respect.  No doubt people still go up to Stonehenge. But anything that helps) short of completely shutting it off I'm in favour of).
Dazza
--------

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:12:35, 25/04/07 »
Aye, you're right.

Personally, though, I like going up close to ancient sites, you feel as though your roots just stretch for thousands of miles behind you! I suppose I'm a little 'new-age' about it  ::)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:22:04, 25/04/07 »
Wouldn't say I'm very new age particularly but I know exactly what you mean.
Dazza
--------

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:01:17, 25/04/07 »
LOL - I wrote " .. you feel as though your roots stretch for thousands of miles behind you", ha ha, of course I meant "thousands of years".  There's me thinking about that long hike I've got planned again!  ;D

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:41:34, 25/04/07 »
Easy to get into the one track mind state I know.

I'll be posting my walk report (such as it'll be) into the Peak District bit. Seems the most appropriate place.

Dazza
--------

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:05:06, 27/04/07 »
Or you could start a new section, called route guides or something along the lines? ;)
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:56:33, 29/04/07 »
Personally, I'm waiting for someone else to start it. I'm not sure how to mark the routes, and would like to use some graphics - you know, maps, images and so on, and so want to see how others are going to do theirs!

Talk about a cop out, eh  ;)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:05:22, 29/04/07 »
I'm a little concerned about reproducing a map image (as long lists of SKs doesn't make it intuitive).

Whats the position on reproducing a secgment of an OS map?
Dazza
--------

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:21:32, 01/05/07 »
Well it's up there. I didn't think someone who wasn't a mod could create an entirely new section....

OS Map now added to the Peak District bit. With credit to the OS ofcourse.
« Last Edit: 20:42:46, 01/05/07 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy