Author Topic: Is this good waterproof jacket for walking?  (Read 2043 times)

Starkiwi26

Is this good waterproof jacket for walking?
« on: 01:16:05, 30/03/19 »
Dear fellow member,

As North Face is having inter season promotion now, do below 2 jackets make a good waterproof jacket for walking?
Thanks.

How about this?

Mountain Light Triclimate  
https://www.thenorthface.co.uk/shop/en-gb/tnf-gb/men-jackets-waterproof/mountain-light-triclimate-jacket-3826?variationId=6WV [nofollow]

Too bulky?

North Face Men's Steep Series Free Thinker Jackethttps://www.thenorthface.co.uk/shop/en-gb/tnf-gb/men-jackets-waterproof/mens-steep-series-free-thinker-jacket-3if2?variationId=6NE [nofollow]

Out of consider
North Face Men's McMurdo 2 Parka
https://www.thenorthface.co.uk/shop/en-gb/tnf-gb/mens-mcmurdo-2-parka-cp07?variationId=M8U&utm_content=digidip&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=CJ&utm_campaign=AFFILIATES_ECOM_UK&CJEVENT=442664b7528711e98329019a0a18050f [nofollow]
« Last Edit: 00:45:33, 31/03/19 by Starkiwi26 »

astaman

Re: Is this good waterproof jacket for walking?
« Reply #1 on: 06:15:54, 30/03/19 »
My first impression is that the Mcmurdo jacket is a good winter coat for a about town. Water resistant rather than water proof, with pockets that would be cut of by a rucksack belt and so on. Also I would prefer to keep warm with layers rather than a heavy jacket.

The other one, the 'Free Thinker' is at least Goretex Pro and has useful pockets. The hood looks okay but it's not clear if it has a wire peak. There is a review of it here:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/clothing-mens/hardshell-jacket/the-north-face-free-thinker

I haven't read it carefully because I'm not in the market for a full on jacket just now but it seems to suggest that it's a bit heavy and bulky for walking and is more of a skiing jacket. I'm sure it would do fine but might not be the best choice available. The review does suggest that it's available in normal colours. The colour of the one in the North Face advert: well, as my old Dad would have said, 'I wouldn't be seen dead in that on an night shift doon the pit'.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:39:29, 30/03/19 »
Took a look at the links and I agree with what astaman says.

Avoid the parka - not very versatile at all.

The 'Free Thinker' looks like a decent jacket, but as astaman says, check out the hood - is it wired?

Gore Tex Pro is top notch, though - I have a Mountain Equipment Lhotse jacket made from it, and it has withstood everything that several Orkney winters can throw at it - and I am literally out in all weathers with the dog. It is also light enough for summer use, and I'm just back from a Parkrun that I completed whilst wearing it! Easily the best jacket that I have ever owned. Can be had for less than £300 on line; worth every penny.

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Starkiwi26

« Reply #3 on: 00:42:14, 31/03/19 »
thanks for pointing out - Parka is definitely out
I am concern on the "Free Thinker" jacket - too bulky as the review said.

As I browse the North face website, found below. Is this good?
https://www.thenorthface.co.uk/shop/en-gb/tnf-gb/men-jackets-waterproof/mountain-light-triclimate-jacket-3826?variationId=6WV [nofollow]

I am using North face Sangro jacket now..

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 02:21:39, 31/03/19 »
Are you getting cold Starkiwi26? Your current jacket doesn't have any particular insulation but you're interested in one insulated by down. If you're not getting cold you might get too hot - I would walking in a down coat. If you use layers (like a fleece) for insulation you have a more versatile jacket but if you are planning walking regularly in sub zero temperatures or run cold then maybe you should get the down jacket. I'm sure others here can better advise than me but I bought a jacket with too much insulation once and now wear it a couple of times a year around town as it's far too hot for the walking I do.
« Last Edit: 02:27:00, 31/03/19 by Rob Goes Walking »

astaman

« Reply #5 on: 07:34:10, 31/03/19 »
The Triclimate jacket is quite an old solution to the layering issue. It used to be quite common to get jackets that had a zip in/zip out fleece lining that could be worn separately and it's not a bad idea in itself. However, I think this offers you a mid-layer that isn't the best down jacket (only 550 fill, a fleece rather than down back, no hood), if a down jacket is indeed what you're after. The waterproof shell looks okay for what it is but it is two layer Goretex, has mesh rather than sealed pockets and again I'm not convinced by the hood. It may be a good enough jacket to carry in your rucksack in the summer but isn't really a full-on foul weather jacket for hill walking. There are reviews of it here:

https://www.e-outdoor.co.uk/men-c7/mens-clothing-c104/mens-jackets-coats-c12/mens-waterproof-jackets-c143/the-north-face-mens-mountain-light-triclimate-gore-tex-jacket-pr3009

People seem to like it but it is limited. One reviewer thinks that it will be a good replacement for his/her NF Hyvent jacket which sums it up. I have one of them and really like it but I carry it as light rainproof on a nice day where rain is possible but not likely.

I personally wouldn't go for this option but would get a good Goretex Pro waterproof or something like that as Richard suggested earlier. Then, if you need one, think about what mid-layer/insulated jacket you might need separately from that. It's about flexible solutions rather than one-fix solutions in my view.

Pitboot

« Reply #6 on: 07:40:41, 31/03/19 »
Starkiwi26, it might help us if we knew which country you are based in?

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:30:53, 31/03/19 »

And, where do you walk ?

(You could live in the Lincolnshire Fens, but do much of your walking in the Scottish Highlands)

Pitboot

« Reply #8 on: 09:31:24, 31/03/19 »
I only asked because gear that may be readily available here in the UK may not be so in the OPs place of residence. And I live and usually walk in the Lake District, multiple gear shops here so I can find almost anything on the UK market. Others may not be so lucky.
Just trying to help.

Starkiwi26

« Reply #9 on: 10:14:14, 31/03/19 »

And, where do you walk ?

(You could live in the Lincolnshire Fens, but do much of your walking in the Scottish Highlands)

I am at UK, mostly do the walk at Peak District

My current gears are
Waterproof Outer:
North Face Sangro(North Face claimed it is waterproof, but I so far didnt experience rain during walking, so cannot comment how good is its waterproof)
As North Face is doing sales now, thinking to grab a good GTX jacket

Mid layer:
North Face Gordon Lyons Alpine Zip Hoodie
North Face Thermoball sport hoodie

Base layer:
Just a normal sport shirt (not cotton)
« Last Edit: 10:23:14, 31/03/19 by Starkiwi26 »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:45:10, 31/03/19 »
Or, you could think about rain in a different way?

At the start of my hiking career I took the 'traditional' route, bought a waterproof jacket (Paramo Alta 2) and a pair of Beghaus waterproof trousers. I was not happy with the trousers in particular (too hot in the wrong places, a faff to keep putting on and off) so I bought a rain skirt and gaiters, better, but I then moved on to a Vaude Poncho and gaiters. The weakness of the poncho was having to put it over my head when it started to rain and then take it off when it was dry.

This year I decided to separate the issue of wet weather and dry weather, rather than to treat them as a combined problem. My 'better' clothing is now all to do with and only to do with hot, cold, wind, etc. My other group of clothing (much cheaper) is only to do with rain, snow, etc, any weather that can make me wet! I have come to the conclusion that rain doesn't happen so often that I have to prioritise it as my number one problem and therefore have to plan all spending around it.

I now use a £15, zip down the front, long waterproof coat and gaiters. I haven't been able to find a 'better' waterproof coat, say up to £100, because I don't think they are actually made? Rohan makes one but they want £250 which I am definitely not prepared to pay! Just to keep dry, no thank you!

I'm up to the Lakes on 12th April and am then going to walk to Edinburgh. This should be a real test of my new way of thinking about how to keep dry, if it works I'll be boasting about it, if it doesn't I will be apologising for my stupidity.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 23:56:38, 31/03/19 »
With every one else.  Both of the first two look like decent jackets.  Big no to the Parker or anything else embroiderd.  Sure way to let the rain in.

Another vote for ME Gortex Pro Jackets, only got one this winter but it is just so light breathable and most importantly waterproof.  Knock's the spots of other Jackets I have tried.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy