Author Topic: Visual Impact of Large Groups  (Read 3177 times)

Percy

• Veteran Member
Re: Visual Impact of Large Groups
« Reply #15 on: 12:11:50, 22/10/19 »
I find it’s more about clothing/rucksack colour (particularly rain covers) than absolute numbers of people.

The method I’ve adopted to minimise other walkers’ visual impact is to be short-sighted. It works a treat.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 12:20:00, 22/10/19 »
If I am overtaking, I speed up a bit to get past quickly,

But if they're r*mblers, you can guarantee to encounter them on a slender path and they make sure they occupy the whole width  :)

I doff my Tilley to any ladies in the group as well

Good man!  O0 I'd do that too if I ever wore one, but the only headwear I have is a buff, not the same at all!.

Pitboot

« Reply #17 on: 12:24:41, 22/10/19 »
  I like to play "Spot the Rambler" as I go by.  (Rules available on application)

Could you please send me the rules. I want a laugh.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 12:24:53, 22/10/19 »

buff, not the same at all!.
Yep walking in the buff can attract crowds usually of the wrong type 😅😁
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 13:22:46, 22/10/19 »
For Pitboot:  Spot the Rambler - Rules.

Ramblers wear their socks outside their trousers, a bit like Superman wears his pants over his tights.  Score as follows:

No socks over trousers, not a Rambler, 0 points.
Socks of any description, Basic Rambler, 1 point.
Multicoloured socks, 3 points for diversity.
Red socks, Senior Rambler, 5 points.

Breeches Variant
Plain socks with breeches, 10 points.
Multicoloured sock and breeches, 15 points.
Red socks and breeches, Master Rambler, 20 points.

Second Pair Rule
Second pair of socks rolled down over boots, 2 points.
If second pair matches first pair, bonus point.

Extras (can only be scored in conjunction with socks):
Bobble hat, 1 point.
Wooden thumb stick, 5 points.
Flappy map case, 3 points.
Genuine canvas rucksack with leather straps, 25 points.
Solvitur Ambulando

hinch184

« Reply #20 on: 13:38:30, 22/10/19 »
The more the merrier BUT so long as they are clean, I remember seeing what looked like a youth club coming down Snowdon and the group leaders didn't seem fussed when the kids were dropping sweet wrappers on the floor. I didn't have the fight in me so just picked them up to bin at the bottom.

andybr

« Reply #21 on: 13:59:57, 22/10/19 »
It's the constant chatter which grates with me. The members of large groups usually seem so involved with their conversations that they no longer see anything going on around them. My wife and I once watched a large "Ramblers" party walk directly beneath a Red Squirrel and not one of them even noticed it until we actually pointed it out to the last walker who seemed astonished.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 14:07:32, 22/10/19 »
Just start a conversation on Brexit.Its guarranteed to get rid of them within ten seconds. ;)

:D  unless you're gunwharfman (sorry gunwharfman)  :D

... but the only headwear I have is a buff, not the same at all!.
Yep walking in the buff can attract crowds usually of the wrong type 😅😁

;D

The method I’ve adopted to minimise other walkers’ visual impact is to be short-sighted. It works a treat.

Brilliant  ;D   O0

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 18:14:33, 22/10/19 »
Red socks and breeches, Master Rambler
I am not, nor have I ever been, a member of the Ramblers. However, when I started mountaineering as a child in the 80s , this describes my attire perfectly!

I treasure my copies of Poucher. They are superb walking guides to the mountains around Britain. At the beginning are chapters on useful info. One include a pictures and instructions on how to get your cobbler to add the correct cleats to your boots. Another, on clothing, explains that drab greens and browns like tweed are best so as not to spoil the view for others. However, a pair of red socks can be exposed in an emergency by pulling the trouser legs up.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 18:32:37, 22/10/19 »
I also prefer to walk on my own. I know nobody who walks at my speed😕
On a very serious level and hinted at in one of the early posts it is vital that as many people as possible use the countryside.

Without the mass tresspass walks of previous generations we wouldn't be allowed anywhere near the places we want to be.

So the more the merrier if that is what it takes to get a Scottish style access to our countryside. The more who do it the more votes there will be to force change.

In the meantime when the groups gallop past me, I can smile and silently thank them for using the ways.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 18:50:57, 22/10/19 »
Ramblers wear their socks outside their trousers

I don't, nor do 98% of the Ramblers I know.

The members of large groups usually seem so involved with their conversations that they no longer see anything going on around them

This, however, I can identify with :/   Scenery, wildlife, vehicles approaching from behind.....

To answer the original comment, if you're that stressed at the thought of seeing another human being whilst outdoors it may be better to stay in with the curtains drawn ;)

OR...  go somewhere less 'touristy'.  Try the southern uplands of Scotland, where it's more remarkable if you DO see anyone else on your walk.  Except for the Merrick which is the Scafell Pike of southern Scotland - if you're really unlucky you may see as many as 6 people the whole day :)

Not all those who wander are lost

Pitboot

« Reply #26 on: 18:59:35, 22/10/19 »
Thanks ninthace.

I would score very highly around here as you can spot most, if not all, of those types on a weekly basis around Windermere and Ambleside.

Lee R

« Reply #27 on: 19:07:05, 22/10/19 »
Doesn't bother me in the least - so long as they're going in the opposite direction to me  :) .
Being a solo walker like the OP, I hate getting 'tangled up' with groups walking the same way as me.

I also dislike walking at weekends when there are lots of families out with dogs and little herberts on bikes shouting their heads off in the woods, along with all the beached whales who can only manage a few hundred yards before turning back, and not forgetting the number of numpties who aren't equipped to find their way from A to B or dressed for the conditions  >:( .

^^^ Same here! Although it's usually me & my other half. Depending on where we are, we don't always walk side by side either. I'll stop & set up to take a few photos, she'll be looking at toadstools, fungi, etc so we're often overtaking each other & pointing out things the other might have missed  :)

I went out early Sunday to a woodland. First one there at about 7:30. Until I was heading back to very near to the car park at about 11:00 (it was busy by then!) I only saw one couple with their dog to actually speak to whilst enjoying my time out.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 19:39:10, 22/10/19 »
Some most amusing musings in this thread..

Nithace, your rules have led me to believe that there are in fact no Ramblers in our Ramblers group.  ??? Though I too did have a pair of thick red socks back in the 70s when I was rock climbing. O0

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 20:21:09, 22/10/19 »
I don't, nor do 98% of the Ramblers I know.

OR...  go somewhere less 'touristy'.  Try the southern uplands of Scotland, where it's more remarkable if you DO see anyone else on your walk.  Except for the Merrick which is the Scafell Pike of southern Scotland - if you're really unlucky you may see as many as 6 people the whole day :)
You often don’t need to go very far from the touristy bits to avoid the crowds. When I used to visit the New Forest, the roads, car parks and hot spots would be full of grockles. However, walk  hundred metres from the car park and all you would see would be trees, heath, birds and deer.

Our local hill, Bennachie has a number of summits, one of which is very busy, the others much less so. Last year I met one dog and its owner on the way to Hermits Seat, nobody at the summit, no one on Watch Craig, 2 walkers on Oxen Craig (highest point), 50+ on Mither Tap ( the most obvious summit from ground level and the closest to the main car park) and finally Craigshannoch was empty. I then passed perhaps a dozen people on the way back to the car. All this on a 9 mile hike, with less than 4 miles between the western and eastern extremities of the walk.

Bad weather and early starts also deter the crowds. I have been one of 2 people on the summit of Hellvellyn on an Easter weekend in a howling blizzard and one of 5 for sunrise on Snowdon summit and descent of Crib Goch.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy