Author Topic: Petition Against Criminalising Trespass  (Read 8712 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Petition Against Criminalising Trespass
« Reply #90 on: 16:58:16, 02/09/20 »

Love a debate  O0

and it seems we have a live one here for another few days at least. ;)

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/300139

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #91 on: 17:26:07, 02/09/20 »
You said in Reply #84: "Thought I'd just re-post the link to the petition before the topic is locked for discussing politics."

Discussing politics is not the same as heavy political discussion. I've seen no evidence that topics have been locked for simply discussing politics.

This topic is political in nature. Members have been given a link to a petition, the purpose of which is to express opposition to a plan that was announced in the Conservative Manifesto and which the government is currently considering.

A forum is a place for discussion. Surely any topic posted here (unless it falls foul of the forum rules) is open for discussion and debate?

Indeed I did Dave.  This was because the original post was regarding a link to a petition which we, as walkers, may wish to sign.

Discussing politics -v- heavy political debate isn’t even relevant in the context of the above and I can’t help but think you are splitting hairs or looking for an argument.  Some might call this trolling.

Discuss your thoughts on the topic and the impact you think it may have on us as walkers by all means but just be aware that any political discussions on this forum end up “heavy” which is why the topics usually end up locked, with the more antagonistic/accusatory/inflammatory/off topic posts deleted.

If you must talk politics, get it in the Hikers Bar under its own heading.

The petition:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/300139

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #92 on: 17:29:03, 02/09/20 »
Well said Mel.

I totally agree with all your points.

Too little, too late, too bad......

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #93 on: 18:31:42, 02/09/20 »
Mel - spot on as always.

tonyk

• Veteran Member

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #95 on: 07:42:22, 03/09/20 »
Good BMC article on the issue here:
https://www.thebmc.co.uk/encampments-and-trespass

PS - thank you for getting the thread back on track, Mel. Note to self - stay out of politics!  :-[
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #96 on: 00:12:27, 06/09/20 »
Thanks all for each of our contributions to the vote and the discussion here.

The pertition is now closed. Just short of 135k votes.  Let's hope those in government are listening.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #97 on: 12:22:03, 06/09/20 »
I should like to thankyou for bringing this to the attention of the forum. As you were the OP, I was very surprised that you did not know what CLA stood for.

So I just have to ask. What the heck his the CLA? Or do I need to be read in before anyone can tell me.  ;)
It is perhaps unfortunate that many walkers, mountaineers and other outdoor users are not aware of this the aims of this organization and their utterances, I was only privy to them for a short time, when my brother in law got duped into becoming a member and I had the chance to read their monthly rag, Land and Business. this was at the time I was a member of my counties LAF and in a position to witness the influence the landowner lobby had on the this body that later became the Great Outdoors Strategy Group.

Unlike many pressure groups today, who respond to knee jerk responses to public opinion, and quickly lose the attention of the popular press and the public support. The CLA has embedded opposition to sharing the countryside as a core instinct and policy.

I saddens me when discussion that should be aimed for our best interests get frittered away into needless party political alienation's. The landowners of this country are a minority, and a very small one at that, their stated aim is to have Coast 2 Coast membership throughout this land and their national policy document strongly suggest that whittling down the access network is Common Sense.

The National Farmers Union have a job on there hands to conserve membership, from this new demand for revenue that is needed to promote the better production of our food.

Where does the sensible discussion of politics lie in this tangle or do we just ignore it?
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #98 on: 12:12:10, 14/09/20 »
Walking up a particularly long and tedious hill yesterday the answer came to me.  Carry a few Jehovah’s Witnesses leaflets and a couple of copies of Watchtower for good measure.  If someone approaches you to tell you that you are trespassing, whip them out and ask them if they have heard the Good News.  They will be off like a shot.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #99 on: 23:26:48, 14/09/20 »
Walking up a particularly long and tedious hill yesterday the answer came to me.  Carry a few Jehovah’s Witnesses leaflets and a couple of copies of Watchtower for good measure.  If someone approaches you to tell you that you are trespassing, whip them out and ask them if they have heard the Good News.  They will be off like a shot.

;D Brilliant Idea sir. O0

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #100 on: 07:41:18, 15/09/20 »
;D
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #101 on: 10:02:13, 15/09/20 »
Straight from the Manual of the Art of Good Trespass. A slight variation is to pick up a few copies of the Parish Magazine or WI monthly at the village shop prior to walking up the front drive to the local manor, then exiting by the back drive.

Once completing the circuit of the Noss Mayo leisure drive as intended by the original Landscape Designer and owner of a now defunct Hall, I told the then occupier of the Gate house that 'Some local lads had told me it was OK to walk down the redundant drive'. Thus transferring his indignant ire to a fictitious group of lads on by cycles. It was interesting to see how this Victorian landscape artist had engineered breathtaking views to be enjoyed by those privileged to ride the private approach to a manorial dwelling that not longer exists and guarded by a fussy little man, whose location adds to his self importance. Many enjoy the sea views of the Noss Mayo drive without understanding the skill of the full circuit and how it also exploits the inland beauty of that landscape.

It was then a moss covered trail, through an overgrown avenue of trees.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #102 on: 09:32:20, 26/10/20 »
News today: Two men have been fined £4,000 each for trespass and damage after camping overnight in Coed y Brenin forest near Trawsfynydd without permission.

https://north.wales/news/warning-issued-after-pair-fined-over-4000-each-for-trespass-and-damage-at-gwynedd-beauty-spot-21388.html

In the sort of slipshod journalism that seems to be the norm these days, no details are given of the nature of their camping nor of the damage they were said to have caused. One can only wonder what they did to be fined £4k each, however it is a bit worrying for those of us who wild camp.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #103 on: 09:41:30, 26/10/20 »
Yes, journalism these days.... This article provides no useful information at all. What does "damage" mean? Have they flattened the grass a little bit with a small tent or have they been cutting down trees for a massive bonfire? Are they real campers or RV folks? Etc.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #104 on: 09:47:00, 26/10/20 »
All the reports I could find were cut and paste versions of the same press release.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy