Author Topic: The standards for defining a waterproof boot.. legal case  (Read 1152 times)

Peter

• Veteran Member
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Very  O0
Where there's a will ...

Jac

• Veteran Member
Yes, very[/i ] interesting.

Just in case anyone else is a little doubtful as to exactly where the feather line is here is a link to Mountain W's explanation (scroll down for a picture)

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/expert-advice/walking-boots-guide
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Stube

I find the number of cycles ridiculously low. With about 1000 cycles to the mile, 15k is a day's walk  :o
« Last Edit: 19:56:11, 21/04/17 by Stube »

Kukkudrill

"Most waterproof shoes and boots are only tested to be waterproof up to the feather line." What a load of rubbish. Sounds to me like a deliberate attempt to hoodwink people into buying substandard goods. Wouldn't have expected it from a name like Mountain Warehouse.  Well done to the ASA for putting a stop to it. I won't be buying any boots from MW, that's for sure.
Make the most of the available light

MikeW

I find the number of cycles ridiculously low. With about 1000 cycles to the mile, 15k is a day's walk  :o

True however most manufacturers state that once the boot has been cleaned and fully dried out the counter is re-set hence 15,000 cycles would be considered as 'fully' waterproof for all day walks whereas 5000 cycles would be considered 'shower proof'. Have a look at boot waterproof definition on the Decathlon website. They are very specific and clear about what should be expected waterproof wise from their boots. It's a pity other retailers don't do the same. They also state other things clearly such as what wind speed tents are tested to but that's another thread.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy