Author Topic: Planning my first multi-day walk for some time  (Read 4693 times)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: Planning my first multi-day walk for some time
« Reply #15 on: 19:18:52, 05/05/19 »
I look forward to hearing about your trip, I'm doing it in June, same direction  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Warbler

« Reply #16 on: 22:35:33, 06/05/19 »

Cheers sussamb.

bricam…...Hopefully I'll be back by June  ;D

happyhelen

« Reply #17 on: 02:10:03, 09/05/19 »
Best of luck and enjoy!

and101

« Reply #18 on: 11:53:00, 09/05/19 »
Right.....Decision made. I'm catching an early train to Chepstow on Tuesday morning and start walking Offa's Dyke about mid-day.

The weather forecast looks a tad unpredictable though  :-\

Can't wait to get moving.

As someone completely inexperienced in multi-day walks, I'm really interested to see how you get on. Please share your experiences here if you could. Best of luck!

Warbler

« Reply #19 on: 20:14:32, 14/05/19 »

Well...…...everything was going too well. I was really enjoying the walk and felt I was getting stronger and coping with the terrain. Then on day 6 starting from Kington, I started to feel a strain in the right Achilles tendon, and after 4.5 miles I realised it was game over  >:( .

I'd arrived at a minor road and rather than risk continuing back up into the hills, I headed for the nearest village to get transport to Knighton. A man who was working at the front of his house very kindly offered me a ride to Knighton, an unbelievably kind gesture and very much appreciated as there was no Sunday bus service.

I am putting the strain down to carrying too much weight in my pack, about 13kg, though as I said, I thought I was managing quite well with it.

The most annoying thing about this outcome is that I had decided to have a rest day when I reached Knighton  ::)

I am now at home licking my wounds, and planning to return and finish this marvellous route when I've recovered. I won't be camping, I'll be booking b&b's along the route instead.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:56:34, 14/05/19 »
Sorry to hear that but you made the right decision. It'll be there another day  O0
Where there's a will ...

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 20:58:21, 14/05/19 »
Achilles tendonitis is literally a pain. I think you made the right choice in stopping, as once the pain starts it only goes one way. Tendons are slow to heal and lead to lots of frustration. I first suffered when I used to run. I tried running shorter distances and less often, but the pain gradually got worse so that I couldn’t walk on the flat without pain. Make sure you give yourself enough time to recover, so that you don’t suffer pain longer term.
« Last Edit: 21:31:00, 14/05/19 by Bigfoot_Mike »

Warbler

« Reply #22 on: 21:24:36, 14/05/19 »
Yes, I'm pleased with the decision I made. It would have been futile to carry on. I'm still struggling to get up and down the stairs at home. I'll definitely give it plenty of time to recover. I have no previous history of tendonitis but have read enough recent posts here to realise it's not worth rushing back from.

and101

« Reply #23 on: 22:32:49, 14/05/19 »
Yes, I'm pleased with the decision I made. It would have been futile to carry on. I'm still struggling to get up and down the stairs at home. I'll definitely give it plenty of time to recover. I have no previous history of tendonitis but have read enough recent posts here to realise it's not worth rushing back from.

I feel your pain (no pun intended), my tendonitis is really getting me down right now and even if I think I’ve rested enough it flares up again. So difficult to rest from something basic like walking especially when it’s a hobby. Rest well.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 09:49:15, 15/05/19 »
Been in the same situation myself.When walking the Pennine Way N-S I had to retire after 200 miles  due to tendonitis.Plenty of rest,icing three times a day and things should get back to normal after a couple of months.Since being in that situation I have walked thousands of miles and not had any major issues.If its not happened before it might be a strained tendon rather than the type of tendonitis runners get where the tendon and sheath become inflamed.

Warbler

« Reply #25 on: 11:07:38, 16/05/19 »

I feel your pain (no pun intended), my tendonitis is really getting me down right now and even if I think I’ve rested enough it flares up again. So difficult to rest from something basic like walking especially when it’s a hobby. Rest well.

Thanks and101. I intend resting it for as long as it takes, but I think patience will be stretched.

Been in the same situation myself.When walking the Pennine Way N-S I had to retire after 200 miles  due to tendonitis.Plenty of rest,icing three times a day and things should get back to normal after a couple of months.Since being in that situation I have walked thousands of miles and not had any major issues.If its not happened before it might be a strained tendon rather than the type of tendonitis runners get where the tendon and sheath become inflamed.

I'm pretty sure it's just a strain as it's not happened before. It's eased up quite a bit already. Just needs time and patience. I have a weekend planned in the Malvern's in early July, so hoping to be fully mobile by then. My first challenge however will be a mile level walk to the local and back this weekend. O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 07:56:44, 17/05/19 »
Bad luck getting the injury, Warbler, but good decision to call a halt. Get well soon!  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy