Author Topic: Whernside/Ingleborough circular walk Mon 17th August 2015  (Read 11980 times)

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
Re: Whernside/Ingleborough circular walk Mon 17th August 2015
« Reply #15 on: 13:48:56, 21/08/15 »
Nice to see the older folks getting about O0
lovely shots. O0

Aye, tricky getting up to Ingleborough summit with the zimmer frame but I managed
The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

Country Walking 1000 Mile Challenge 2017  623.5  miles :)

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 19:07:01, 21/08/15 »
Great stuff both of you and much better weather than the last time we did it  :)

This was the first forum meet I attended back in March last year and was a great walk  O0
Hoping to take Mrs R up Whernside next weekend as we are staying nearby in Bentham in the van for the bank holiday weekend, mind you there is also a beer festival on so we might not be match fit  ;D
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

C2C09 Shaun

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 19:45:23, 21/08/15 »
Don't know what happened when I quoted Mel's comment but there was a message under it saying:

Well done Mel, let me know when you plan on doing Whernside and if you want any company and if I'm off I come n join you with Lisa  :)
www.catchlights-photography.com

Everything in Life happens for a reason

photonut

« Reply #18 on: 14:25:39, 20/09/17 »
This is rapidly becoming one of my favourite walks :) . Starting and finishing at Ribblehead, it takes in two of the Y3P peaks, plus Simon Fell and Park Fell. Walked with Shaun Lee, with whom I have tramped several hundreds of miles in the last 3 years.....

...Leaving the summit behind us we started to cross Simon Fell. Looking back gave us this rather good view of where we had just been :)

Having crossed Simon Fell, we went up and over Park Fell, with a steep descent back down from there, to regain the road about half a mile from Ribblehead. Our record of success with refreshments was not improved by arriving at the tea van five minutes after she had finished serving tea......did manage to get ice creams though :)

Hi Andy,

It's been a fair while since you originally posted, but I'm thinking of doing this walk myself and wondered what the path was like (back then) across Simon Fell/ Park Fell?  Is it one of those constant bog-hopping paths or quite firm ground?

(If anyone can give a more recent observation of that path I'd be grateful)

Many thanks in advance
Cheers
Lee

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:18:08, 20/09/17 »
I did PYG/Ingleborough via Park Fell and Simon Fell earlier in the year.  Not boggy at all but Park Fell is bloomin' steep.  Nice walk onto Simon fell and then around on to the rim of Ingleborough, lovely walk and some great views to be had, especially of the rim.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

photonut

« Reply #20 on: 19:57:22, 20/09/17 »
Hi Bhod,

Thanks for the info.  That's a great help... I hate wading along boggy paths. I'll do Whernside and Ingleborough from Ribblehead so the route you took will be perfect.

Cheers
Lee

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 20:36:35, 20/09/17 »
Lee - note I did PYG first then ascended Ingleborough via Park Fell and then Simon Fell before traversing the rim of Ingleborough itself and then onto the summit.  So if you doing it this way you'll need to park at Ribblehead and walk back along Gauber Road past the bunk barn and take the turning on your right and go up past Salt Lake Cottages, ascending Park Fell, Simon Fell, Summit of Ingleborough and then take the 3 peaks route in reverse down Ingleborough and up Whernside.   It's a steep but shortish slog up Park Fell and the path over Simon Fell is well trodden, follow the rim route if you don't suffer from vertigo, well worth it.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

photonut

« Reply #22 on: 09:03:38, 21/09/17 »
Hi Bhod,

Thank you for your suggestion... that looks like a good route for another day  :)

I'm planning on parking at Ribblehead, ascend Whernside via Bleamoor and the aquaduct. Then onto Ingleborough and down the route you have suggested over Park Fell and Simon Fell.  Returning to my car from there, joining Gauber Rd at the row of ex-railway cottages (that will be on my RHS).  Incidentally, I have walked the last bit previously and it takes you through some disused quarries where there is a tree growing out of a limestone pavement (on LHS after the house at Colt Park).  There is no soil to be found... just a tree growing out of rock!!

The route over Park & Simon Fell is the only bit of Ingleborough I've not done yet.  If the Hill Inn is open then I might just pop in there for a cheeky beer too  ;D

Thank you once again for your help.

Cheers
Lee

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy