Author Topic: Tryfan's North Ridge claims it's fourth victim in almost as many weeks.  (Read 6672 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Iwan Hughes, a local resident has been named as the fourth victim to die on Tryfan since late last year.
The reasons for his death, are still unknown, but he left word that he was attempting the North Ridge, in less than perfect conditions.
Ogwen Mountain Rescue, had to battle high winds to reach his body.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Iwan Hughes, a local resident has been named as the fourth victim to die on Tryfan since late last year.
The reasons for his death, are still unknown, but he left word that he was attempting the North Ridge, in less than perfect conditions.
Ogwen Mountain Rescue, had to battle high winds to reach his body.

His name was Iwan Huws, not Hughes.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Its my English translation,  Huws or Hughes, their both the same.
Its unfortunate that Tryfan is in the news once again, for all the wrong reasons.
Its a fine majestic mountain, but there are safer ways to its summit.
The North Ridge demands respect in very poor conditions, and four deaths in just a few weeks is totally unacceptable.

Mel

• Veteran Member

Sad news indeed.

Is there a link to the news article or report for this please DA so myself and others can read the full article.

Thanks.

PS.  If the chap's name was Iwan Huws then his name wasn't Iwan Hughes.  Where names are concerned, translation is unnecessary.  For example, the name Peter Lewis.... if it was spelled Peter Louis then it could be two different people and not simply a French translation  O0

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
You can read the article on the BBCs Welsh news, or even better, the North Wales daily Post.
Iwan Pritchard Huws or Hughes in English, was a drummer for the Gwynedd Welsh rock band "Yucatan" and he lived in the Dyffryn Nantlle valley.

He was a very keen walker, and informed his friends and relatives, that he was visiting Tryfan's North Ridge, early last Sunday.
According to Ogwen MR, it took some time to locate his whereabouts, but its believed he fell or came to grief whilst climbing up Tryfan"s North ridge.

A considerable number of Mountain rescue team members, spent hours looking for him, when an alarm was raised by worried family members, that Iwan had not returned, and not until late on Monday, was his body discovered.

Its always with regret that we read these far too numerous reports of people coming to grief on Tryfan.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
... Where names are concerned, translation is unnecessary.  For example, the name Peter Lewis.... if it was spelled Peter Louis then it could be two different people and not simply a French translation  O0

;D  Isn't that the chap who owns a Thommen Altimeter ... or is it Altimetre??
Where there's a will ...

Mel

• Veteran Member
I think it depends how your name's spelled sussamb  ;)

Cheers fernman and skip for those links  O0

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Any Welsh translators here, on last recollection when i was in Welsh school in Cardiff, Hews is the Welsh for Hughes, unless its been recently changed.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
I think the thing you are missing DA is that you don't translate names. So if you are called Peter then your name is not Pedro, Petrus or Petr anywhere in the world, unless you are Saint Peter.
So your name is either Hews or Hughes (check your passport for details) whether you are Welsh, English or Latvian.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
You do when the majority of the Welsh population are English speakers, as are 99% of forum members.
Ive three good friends in Dyffryn, whose names would totally confuse most English speakers, their surnames i can hardly pronounce, and i am Welsh from birth.
If you want to refer to him in Welsh, then its ok by me.

Tin

You do when the majority of the Welsh population are English speakers, as are 99% of forum members.
Ive three good friends in Dyffryn, whose names would totally confuse most English speakers, their surnames i can hardly pronounce, and i am Welsh from birth.
If you want to refer to him in Welsh, then its ok by me.

It's personal choice if you wish to anglicize your own name, but it is not for you to do it for others.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
You do when the majority of the Welsh population are English speakers,
DA I know that you have an inability to be wrong but you are wrong.
Names are constant unless you change them by deed poll. You can call yourself what ever you want (Peter, Pete, Big P, The Pete-meister) but you don't translate peoples names.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
Does an Irishman named Sean suddenly become 'John' if he moves to England?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy