Author Topic: National Trust want visitors to dig deep for the maintenance of Pen Y Fan  (Read 7029 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
??? This topic is nowt to do with the corruption of the definitive map OR Shropshire BWW ???

have you posted on the wrong topic by mistake?

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
??? This topic is nowt to do with the corruption of the definitive map OR Shropshire BWW ???

have you posted on the wrong topic by mistake?

I think the OP was questioning the veracity of some of NT's motives and ability to channel some of their huge revenues into worthwhile projects. The OP has a record for using topics, not his own to further slightly offbeat lines of thought.

He has not protested about the criticism I have leveled at NT, relating a story from their past that, perhaps, shows their intellectual undergarments are not whiter than white. It is a story that those who are interested in how the network we rely on for our leisure pursuits should know about,

In telling this, I support DA's suspicion that NT gets things wrong from time to time and should be held up for criticism, this never did any large organisation any harm.

I was told by a NT volunteer, that the revenues from Attingham are huge, possibly one of their best earners in the country.
Why are they having to seek extra money for Pen y Fan.

And those who don't know about Gordon Miller, he could have re-instated the rights of way after the Atcham airfield was returned to agricultural use after WW2, which would have made a sight line walk from the Wrekin to Shrewsbury and also play a large part in a X country walk between Shrewsbury and Wellington. Any NT estate manager or Land agent will see these old footpath on their 1: 25in OS sheets, which they keep well out of reach for public scrutiny.

But that is by the way but in the spirit of walker's gossip.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Hmm! I’m of the opinion that BWW has these privileged parasites sussed out good and proper, good on you  O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Hmm! I’m of the opinion that BWW has these privileged parasites sussed out good and proper, good on you  O0

Cheers Phil  O0
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
I find it difficult to trust NT because their commercial section is almost certainly a contributor to the CLA and the dichotomy of these two identities are at odds with their underlying principles.
'almost certainly', why?

I was told by a NT volunteer, that the revenues from Attingham are huge, possibly one of their best earners in the country.

Why are they having to seek extra money for Pen y Fan.
And the chances of a volunteer knowing the financial position of all NT properties...

The NT will always seek more money for their work, launching a specific appeal to maintain a footpath no one has heard of is pointless so they use this hill as a way of getting in more cash.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Ive just been reading the Wales on Line article, regarding the proposed parking charges, and improvements to the Pont Y Daf car parking area.
Currently the carpark only holds room for around fifty cars, but this will be increased to nearly 260 spaces, and visitors will be charged to park their vehicle, well that is the plan, but the idea is that National Trust members will not be charged to park their car.

If you use the facilities, and decide to walk up Pen Y Fan, then you should by right pay a small nominal fee for that pleasure.

The funding issue could be solved in one go, by using the substantial revenue collected to maintain what everyone has arrived to enjoy.

When or if parking charges are introduced, everyone should have to pay, and being a NT member should not allow free parking.

A National Park is owned by the nation, and carefully managed by skilled professionals, knowing that the environment is safeguarded for future generations, and it should  not be a profit making venture by a body called the National Trust.

They do a magnificent job in maintaining their many historic buildings and gardens, but i am not a member, and do not intend joining in the for seeable future.

A parking charge at Pont Y Daf would not amount to a huge sum of money for a day's enjoyment, but just because the National Trust own most of the land in and around the mountain, it should not give members free access, when non members have to pay.

There is the notion that all countryside areas should be free for all to enjoy, and where parking revenue is collected, it should be used in the future maintenance of that area of outstanding natural beauty.

National Trust revenue, by membership levy and other parking charges, is used to run and maintain their many properties.

Access to their areas of countryside should be free, and Trust members should cough up the £300k for maintaining their property.

As long as the National trust own the land making up Pen Y Fan, there should be free access for all, and everyone should have to pay the parking charges if their introduced.
« Last Edit: 14:32:13, 27/02/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Interesting post DA, none of which I agree with of course.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
I pass Pont ar Daf several times a week, unless the police actually do something, even with an upgraded car park, visitors will continue to park all over the verges anyway.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
I suppose the introduction of double yellow lines along the A470, in the vicinity of the Pont Y Daf, Storey Arms section, has never been considered by Powys council.
Back in the late 1980s and 90s, visitor numbers to the Brecon Beacons were still substantial, as i can remember the Pont Y Daf carpark, and the twin carparks near Storey Arms, filled up quite quickly during the main summer season, yet i never saw a mass exodus of illegal parking along the A470, as we saw in recent years.

The sooner Pay & display machines are introduced, the sooner certain car owners will realise you simply cannot park anywhere you want, blocking the main South to North trunk road.

Wondrous snow conditions or not, Pay & display is the way forward, as introduced in Gwynedd around Snowdon.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
I don’t recall twin car parks at Storey Arms DA but this shows how bad it can get at both Storey Arms and Pont ar  Daf and in both directions leading away
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/parking-situation-storey-arms-saturday-12488208

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member

I can never recall it getting this congested back in the 1990s.

Walking as a past time has not suddenly grown in popularity in the past two decades or so, so i cannot really understand why so many cars illegally parked.

The only solution i can think of, was there were no physical parking restrictions, or penalties if a driver parked in a daft place alongside the A470.

The police have the power and discretion to book motorists they believe to be causing a traffic infringement.

The carparks i am referring  to, is the large one directly opposite the Storey Arms building, and the smaller one, a little away down the road, on the left hand bend.
The one closer to Brecon may not be physically opposite the Storey Arms, but its fairly close, but i agree its not part of the Strorey Arms complex, but is in easy walking distance to be included.
« Last Edit: 19:34:36, 27/02/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

phil1960

• Veteran Member
The carparks i am referring  to, is the large one directly opposite the Storrey Arms building, and the smaller one, a little away down the road, on the left hand bend.
The one closer to Brecon may not be physically opposite the Storrey Arms, but its fairly close, but i agree its not part of the Storrey Arms complex, but is in easy walking distance to be included.
Ah that one, yes nothing to do with Storey Arms but I know where you mean.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member

If you use the facilities, and decide to walk up Pen Y Fan, then you should by right pay a small nominal fee for that pleasure.

The funding issue could be solved in one go, by using the substantial revenue collected to maintain what everyone has arrived to enjoy.

When or if parking charges are introduced, everyone should have to pay, and being a NT member should not allow free parking.

A National Park is owned by the nation, and carefully managed by skilled professionals, knowing that the environment is safeguarded for future generations, and it should  not be a profit making venture by a body called the National Trust.

They do a magnificent job in maintaining their many historic buildings and gardens, but i am not a member, and do not intend joining in the for seeable future.

A parking charge at Pont Y Daf would not amount to a huge sum of money for a day's enjoyment, but just because the National Trust own most of the land in and around the mountain, it should not give members free access, when non members have to pay.

There is the notion that all countryside areas should be free for all to enjoy, and where parking revenue is collected, it should be used in the future maintenance of that area of outstanding natural beauty.

National Trust revenue, by membership levy and other parking charges, is used to run and maintain their many properties.

As long as the National trust own the land making up Pen Y Fan, there should be free access for all, and everyone should have to pay the parking charges if their introduced.

But part of the membership fee is the right to use the NT car parks. I really don't see the difference between saying NT members must pay to park and saying NT members must pay to visit NT run stately homes.  As members we have chosen to pay a chunk of money up front to be able to do both without having to buy a ticket on the day - sometimes we make a "profit" and sometimes we make a "loss" on the deal over the course of a year.  If the car park element was removed then I would expect a reduction in my membership fee and the NT would lose out.

I think you are missing the point in your sentence;
Access to their areas of countryside should be free, and Trust members should cough up the £300k for maintaining their property.  

We do cough up - by paying our annual membership.  

Ridge

• Veteran Member
pdstsp, don't get drawn in mate it is really not worth the effort.

ninthace

• Veteran Member

But part of the membership fee is the right to use the NT car parks. I really don't see the difference between saying NT members must pay to park and saying NT members must pay to visit NT run stately homes.  As members we have chosen to pay a chunk of money up front to be able to do both without having to buy a ticket on the day - sometimes we make a "profit" and sometimes we make a "loss" on the deal over the course of a year.  If the car park element was removed then I would expect a reduction in my membership fee and the NT would lose out.

I think you are missing the point in your sentence;   

We do cough up - by paying our annual membership.

You are absolutely right. I suspect I am not alone in having joined the NT so that I can enjoy their “facilities”, especially the car parking, for free. When I lived in Cumbria it was a no brainer as there were so many NT car parks. Now that I have moved I expect some years I will break even on my membership, some I won’t. It is my choice. DA really has missed the point.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy