Author Topic: TR - Gavel Fell  (Read 1147 times)

photonut

TR - Gavel Fell
« on: 19:39:51, 26/02/18 »
A few weeks ago now I spent a long weekend in the lakes and luckily had some very nice weather on the Friday and Sunday.... Saturday was a totally different result :(

Just a short drive saw me at Maggies Bridge Car park, Loweswater nice and early.  In fact there wasn't a soul about and I was the only one in the car park when I arrived... oh how that was to change later in the day!  The previous night there had been a little rain then a very sharp frost making the roads absolutely treacherous.... I only know this because enroute to Loweswater I parked at the side of the road to take a photo of the rising sun..... only to discover that walking across the road was almost impossible.  How my car stayed on the road is anyones guess.... never thought I'd need crampons or micro spikes to cross the road!

Once walking however, the Sunday morning peacefulness and utterly stunning views were just mind blowing as the sun rose.  The view of Carling Knott from the road to the car park:

Wandering along the lanes to the foot of Mellbreak (seen on the right):

It wasn't too long before I was at the foot of Mellbreak:

However, looking up I was starting to think "Oh eck... what have I let myself in for??",  I was quite overwhelmed initially by how steep the climb was.  The initial part of the climb being over scree was not made easier by the fact the each piece of rock was covered in a thin layer of ice..... it almost looked like someone had been out with the icing sugar and coated each stone!  Luckily another walker had been up/ down over the same route I was taking and had left small indentations in the scree so I was able to use these to make my ascent.  About half(ish) way up I stopped to look down and take a piccy (part of me wished I'd not done that :) ):

Some really stunning views started to unfold:

The north summit was soon reached where I donned my newly acquired gaiters for what looked like a rather boggy trip across the dip to the south summit.  Thankfully, because of the harsh frost most of the soggy ground was rock solid.  Sadly, I couldn't really get any pics of the views I wanted as they were straight into the morning sun :(  I did manage to capture one of Grasmoor:

Standing on the Mellbreak summit I surveyed potential routes across the Hen Comb.  Before attempting this walk I had looked at routes that others had taken previously, trying to avoid having to double back on myself to pick up the path that seems to go up the northern ridge of Hen Comb and Little Dodd.  I know that 'Sharkey' (as in Sharkeys Dream) had taken an off-piste route and I was favouring this.  So in true 'gung-ho' style, I drew an imaginary line between the summit of Mellbreak and that of Hen Comb and went for it.  I have to say, going down was great fun and I was at the base of the valley floor in about 15minutes, now staring up at Hen Comb:

Hmmm, going up Hen Comb on the other hand... well perhaps not so much fun.  Good grief it was steep in places, with a little bit of scrambling thrown in for good measure.  At one point I did come across this little fella, I almost put my hand on him (could have been worse I suppose - an Adder) :

I have no idea what it was, some sort of lizard, that was basking in the morning sunshine which was by now quite strong for a February morning.  It just stayed put, letting me take photos... it was probably looking at me wondering what some idiot was doing ascending Hen Comb this way.

After a little effort, Hen Comb summit (with Gavel and Blake Fells in the distance):

Looking back at Mellbreak, and smiling to myself  :) :

I didn't hang about too long on Hen Comb, just long enough for a quick cuppa, enjoy the peacefulness and the views surrounding me.  With Wainwright wine gum consumed it was time to be off to Gavel, Blake and Burnbank Fells.  The descent from Hen Comb was very easy, following a path which took me down to Whiteoak Moss.  The path doesn't seem to be on the OS maps, but it's there and well defined too.  Sadly, the day was about to take a turn for the unpleasant upon arrival at Whiteoak Moss.. I hadn't given much thought as to why it might be called so.  I soon found out and good grief was it wet!!!  Had I not had 'waterproof' boots and gaiters on there would have been no way of getting across this area.  I was constantly ankle deep in water which sat over that dubious looking bright green moss 'stuff'.  At one point I stopped to try to take a photo but soon realised I was sinking so I elected to not bother with that idea until I made it to higher ground.  Even the slightly higher ground was soggy...  I still have no idea how that works!!!!  I followed the fence line to the base of Gavel Fell for about 0.5km and was quite relieved at starting the ascent on nice firm and dry land.  Arriving there I exchanged 'Good Mornings' with two blokes with their dogs that were chuckling at my misfortune to have plodded across the wetland.  Ah well.

I was soon on the summit of Gavel Fell and it was soooooo worth the trek across Whiteoak Moss:

The view back towards Mellbreak, Hen Comb and Grasmoor from Gavel Fell:

Blake soon followed but it was now starting to get quite busy with walkers (I had to wait a good while before I could take a pic without people in it):

Crossing the boggy saddle to Burnbank Fell saw the last fell of the day... a rather unimposing and very humble cairn.  I paused for a while watching the paragliders hurl themselves off the steep hillside as they hoped that rather flimsy piece of material would hold them aloft:

At the summit I was chatting to lady about possible paths back to Loweswater car park... I was planning to follow Holme Beck down off the Fell.  She told me how she had taken that route once before but it wasn't particularly nice with no distinct path.  Hmmm I thought, there's about to be a path!!!  I have to say, following the stream was really quite nice, a little up and down but nonetheless a really easy route.  Holme Beck, between Burnbank Fell and Carling Knott:

It soon saw me on an 'proper' path walking through the wooded area (Holme Wood) on the SW banks of Loweswater.  A really nice route back to the car... and I could wash my boots off in Loweswater too :)

The weather had been kind to me that weekend and with the sun being out, it obviously brought everyone else out too. When I returned to the car park it was bedlam!!!  A complete contrast to my arrival.  I soon packed up and reluctantly headed for home - I always feel so sad leaving such a beautiful place, even though I know I'm going to be back within a very short time.  I have not been visiting the LD for long but one thing I do appreciate, very much so, is the shear beauty and peacefulness..... I can only hope that it remains so, for a very long time to come.

Cheers
Lee

tom83

Re: TR - Gavel Fell
« Reply #1 on: 19:51:11, 26/02/18 »
Wow, those are some fantastic pictures, and stunning views.

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:53:19, 26/02/18 »
Sounded like a walk to strengthen those heart muscles  ;D  Great TR and some lovely photos. Well done Lee  O0

Regards Keith

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:51:21, 27/02/18 »
Great report photonut  O0 This is a great round of fells here albeit a bit wet in places  :)
Hate will never win

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:51:31, 27/02/18 »
Nice photos!  I've been surprised at the amount of Lizards that have been taking a sneaky peak at the world over the last few weeks.  The warmth in the sun is obviously drawing them out of hiding O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

photonut

« Reply #5 on: 09:02:09, 27/02/18 »
Thank you all for your kind comments

... I've been surprised at the amount of Lizards that have been taking a sneaky peak at the world over the last few weeks.  The warmth in the sun is obviously drawing them out of hiding O0

Up until this little critter, I have never seen a lizard in the UK.  So I was quite surprised.

Cheers
Lee

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:50:06, 27/02/18 »
Great report Lee and super photos - this route is on my list for my long weekend in Buttermere in a couple of weeks.

Paul

photonut

« Reply #7 on: 11:33:27, 27/02/18 »
Great report Lee and super photos - this route is on my list for my long weekend in Buttermere in a couple of weeks.

Paul

Thanks Paul.  I do hope Whiteoak Moss isn't so wet.  If I was to do that walk again (and I will - some day) it wouldn't be after a prolonged period of rainfall or snow melt

I shall keep an eye out for you then as I'm up in the lakes too... just waiting to do two walks from Buttermere when the weather permits :)

I'd hoped to do the Coniston walk this Friday, with Harter Fell on Saturday but due to the weather that's been shelved, looks like it might be the Pewits for me this weekend :(

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:26:39, 27/02/18 »
Take an aqualung! And a boat.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:01:58, 27/02/18 »
Lovely pics,  O0

Mellbreak is a bit of a killer.

photonut