Author Topic: Does anyone else like walking in the dark?  (Read 3140 times)

Deerplay

Re: Does anyone else like walking in the dark?
« Reply #15 on: 00:26:16, 11/03/18 »
I don't set off to walk in the dark, but as ninthace observes sometimes an "alpine" start means a dark start for me and it is good to notice the changes as the countryside starts to wake up. I did the Yorkshire three peaks like this setting off at 3.30 am one spring day and was climbing the last of the three when most people were going up their first (and most likely only) of the day.
Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the Earth?

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 07:36:35, 11/03/18 »
I like to see things and take photos so I'm not interested in walking in the dark at all...and I need to see where I'm putting my feet.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 15:55:51, 11/03/18 »
I like to see things and take photos so I'm not interested in walking in the dark at all...and I need to see where I'm putting my feet.

Same here. I like looking at the scenery, taking photo's, and I like to know that I am putting my foot down on firm ground. I did walk from a pub back to the campsite on a meet once, and thought it was weird to see the sheeps eyes glowing in the dark along the hedgerow.

Ilona

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 16:48:46, 11/03/18 »

Pick the right night. A spontaneous summer walk, setting off into a still evening sky.  The stars glinting Ursa Major pointing out the pole star, making navigation almost as simple as in day light.  A good fullish moon lighting the ground, to the point were a torch is only required to highlight obstacles and river crossings.  It's the most peaceful tranquil feeling in the world to be away from the lights a just enjoy the moors.  O0

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 21:58:03, 12/03/18 »
Love it. Especially in the mountains or anywhere else away from habitation.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

harry_keogh

« Reply #20 on: 15:46:12, 16/03/18 »
Did the Yorkshire 3 peaks at night. Would have been really nice except that it was January and every stone slab covered in black ice. Turned out to be an extremely challenging night.

Also did the welsh 3000's which ran through the night. That was in summer so a little more enjoyable. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm obsessed with taking tons of pictures to go with every walk, I'd probably do it a lot more often

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy