Author Topic: Absolute no idea about gear. What am I doing wrong?  (Read 4759 times)

speedbird1

Hello all, this is my first post but I guess there are millions of views which will probably confuse me even more but here goes:

I go walking not necessarily up mountains but a brisk pace wherever. I wear a base layer then a fleece thing then a "waterproof" jacket on top. Now, I get somewhat warm and subsequently sweat, the base layer does what it should then the fleece keeps me warm but then the moisture inside the jacket ting is wetter than outside. The sleeves in particular get drenched and i can feel it on my wrists and hands.

Is there anything i can buy that does not behave like a bag? my jackets are Regatta with Isotex which allegedly is breathable and supposed to take moisture away from me to the outside.

Does anything at all exist that can do this or am i wasting my time searching and i will have to remain damp for ages to come?

Thank you

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Absolute no idea about gear. What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: 20:59:40, 10/03/18 »
My first query is why are you wearing the jacket?  My waterproof only goes on when it's raining. 

If you are only wearing it when it rains it may be you need a more breathable jacket, or are expecting far too much of a 'breathable jacket'. Once mine is on I tend to slow my pace if I can, otherwise no matter how good the jacket eventually you'll get that clammy feeling.
« Last Edit: 21:05:05, 10/03/18 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

Maggot

« Reply #2 on: 21:07:15, 10/03/18 »
Yep, definitely only wear your waterproof if it's raining, otherwise it will be a sweatbox.

Also, you say you walk 'briskly', try slowing down, you won't generate so much heat, which is what causes the moisture on the inside of your jacket.

speedbird1

« Reply #3 on: 21:14:09, 10/03/18 »

Thanks for that sussamb and Maggot, thank you also, however i need to maintain briskness to help improve my health and getting warm and out of puff is what is recommended.

I am so laughing at the first point, but you might just be right, why am I wearing it if it's not raining. Maybe I am expecting too much from breathable. I just took for granted that a jacket with an attached fleece lining was for all walking use.

OK, i'll rephrase, in simple terms what does breathable really mean and what would the best be?

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:17:49, 10/03/18 »
I have a Regatta with "isotex".  Waterproof it most certainly is.  Breathable it most certainly is not. 

I only (and I mean ONLY) put it on if it is raining.  Other than that, same as you, base layer, fleece midlayer but at this time of year I wear an insulated/padded jacket as an outer layer, and maybe my windshirt, and put the Regatta on over the top of that ONLY if it is raining.

However, like you, the base and mid layers do their job and wick the sweat away and keep me warm and dry (and yes, the inside of the Regatta gets damp if it's raining and I'm sweating).  If you're not feeling the cold and aren't actually feeling damp when wearing it then I wouldn't worry too much.  Just hang it inside out to dry out when you get in.

(did I mention I only wear the Regatta when it's raining?  ;D  )

Edit:  Breathable means not entirely waterproof, in my humble opinion  :-\   

speedbird1

« Reply #5 on: 21:27:03, 10/03/18 »
Thanks Mel, why did i not think of just a regular padded jacket for when it's not raining? So simple really (both the solution and me it seems)

Thank you again.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:31:38, 10/03/18 »
I'll let you into a little secret.... my current padded jacket cost me £20 from Asda.  But shhhhhh, don't tell the rest of the forumites that I didn't buy it from a dedicated walking shop  :D   Our secret yeh?

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:09:10, 10/03/18 »
I usually wear my waterproof jacket and not a fleece as it is cooler, i also get warm when walking. I have a rab latok jacket and i find it very breathable
you have 1 life live it

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 00:53:22, 11/03/18 »
You may want to lose the fleece. Your best starting off cold and warming up rather that starting warm, overheating and sweating.

But if you sweat in a waterproof, especially the cheap ones, you'll get damp. Their breathability is very much oversold

If you want a waterproof you can wear when it's not raining then look at Paramo. However you still need to dress appropriately underneath.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:08:59, 11/03/18 »
Having tried different supposedly breathable waterproofs, I have come to the conclusion that if I walk briskly and/or I am working hard uphill, my sweat output exceeds the breathability of the fabric. I adjust the layers as best I can (Goretex on, at least one layer off) but it makes little difference. Sometimes in summer, I sometimes wonder if it is worth bothering with a waterproof at all, depending on windchill/altitude etc.

One thing I do think makes a difference though is to put the waterproof on early and not work on the basis of "it's not raining much" or "just a shower". If your fleece or whatever gets damp with the rain before you put a waterproof on, your jacket's breathability is on an uphill battle before you start.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:00:26, 11/03/18 »
This is always worth a read once folks mention breathability/waterproof

https://andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/the_truth_about_breathable_waterproofs
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:00:50, 11/03/18 »
I'll let you into a little secret.... my current padded jacket cost me £20 from Asda.  But shhhhhh, don't tell the rest of the forumites that I didn't buy it from a dedicated walking shop  :D   Our secret yeh?

:o :o :o
Where there's a will ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:36:04, 11/03/18 »
I use my waterproof as a windproof layer so I wear mine most of the time whether its raining or not. If I get hot I take a layer off, which would be the fleece underneath the waterproof.

In the summer it is sometimes warm enough to take off the waterproof and fleece but this is very rare :D

You will have to see what works best for you, everyone is different, beefy for instance, is a waterproof on only when its raining person.
Hate will never win

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:12:15, 11/03/18 »
Thank you April! Mine too doubles as a windproof. I have insulated jackets that are windproof but there are times when I would be too hot in one, so I put my waterproof on instead.
I wanted to say this before, but so many posters were adamant a waterproof should only be worn when it is raining that I was frightened to stick my head above the parapet.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:49:06, 11/03/18 »
I have “waterproofs” of different weights for different conditions. These include an aged but very serviceable Berghaus Goretex “hard shell” jacket with zip in fleece, a Paramo jacket (model unknown but it is longish in the body), a Montane soft shell and a lightweight Wolfskin jacket with membrane. All of them except the Montane have suffered from condensation problems at one time or another - the Paramo and the Wolfskin are the worst. The softshell Montane doesn’t have this problem but it wets out quite quickly in proper rain. The Berghaus and the Wolfskin are the best windproofs, a cold wind seems to go straight through the Paramo and while the Montane is good at keeping the wind out, it is has limited warmth and is best for summer on the hills.

My preferred strategy is to wear appropriate layers, with a fleece outer if it is cold, and keep a jacket (and over trousers) in my pack. The jacket I take is dictated by the forecast. If I end up wearing the jacket because of wind chill or rain, then I have to accept condensation as the lesser evil. Interestingly, it seems to me that if I wear the jacket done up, I experience less condensation than if I wear it unzipped. I presume this is due to the increased warmth making the membrane work better.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy