Author Topic: A winter wonderland, Knott Rigg, Ard Crags and Robinson  (Read 1004 times)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
I had planned a snowy walk on Friday and even got up at 5 to drive up to the Lakes, but my conscience about an unfinished report got the better of me and I worked instead.  Worked Saturday too.  But - managed to get Sunday to myself so set off up to Newlands Pass to make the most of these incredible winter conditions.

Parked up by 7.30 and couldn't believe that the view from the car park - stunning snow and ice in the early spring sun..

I ascended Knott Rigg first - this is the view back over the hard packed neve on the ascent

Looking ahead I recogised the high avalanche risk on the way to Ard Craggs but decided to take the risk - crampons and axe all in use now

I made it - hairy at times but fortune favours the foolhardy.

My original plan was to descend the ridge at the end of Ard Crags and ascend Robison by Hign Snab Bank - but the views were so wonderful this morning that I decided to retrace my steps and go up to Robinson via  High Snockrigg and Buttermere Moss - bound to be frozen in these Artic conditions.

View of clearly frozen Crummock Water with the ice cap pf Loweswater in the distance

Don't know what that white stuff is over there

Summit of Robinson - just look at the hoar frost on the shelter - wickedly cold up there.

Actually I had a great day today - a bonus day in the hills and the sun was shining for once, it actually felt like spring - walking in just a base layer due to the lack of wind. Just a bit sad I missed out on the fun earlier in the week and last weekend. 

Paul

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
Re: A winter wonderland, Knott Rigg, Ard Crags and Robinson
« Reply #1 on: 20:13:40, 11/03/18 »
Hilarious  ;D  I thought first of all you'd uploaded the wrong photos  ::)  Looked a lovely walk.

Regards Keith

photonut

« Reply #2 on: 21:30:01, 11/03/18 »
Nice TR Paul.... some cracking pics there!!

Love the last photo of Robinson summit... and all that Hoar frost.  Where did you park for this walk?  

Funny thing tho... I was at Buttermere today doing: Fleetwith Pike, Hay Stacks, High Crag, High Stile, Red Pike, Starling Dodd, Great Borne

So close to meeting yet again!

The conditions were just arctic today!!!!  :D 

Cheers
Lee

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:52:21, 12/03/18 »
Great photos and hilarious write up. So convincing that I, like WR, thought you had linked the wrong pic to start with.

I hope you gave the huskies a good rest afterwards or did you have to eat them?

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:57:27, 12/03/18 »
Very funny report pdstsp  ;D

It was remarkably mild this weekend  :)
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:27:37, 12/03/18 »
Thanks everyone - glad it made you laugh - I was amazed at the speed at which the conditions had changed from a couple of days earlier.  I picked this area as I am going up there for a long weekend on Friday and Mrs pdstsp is making her own way up after work - I had never driven over Newlands and she has a fear of heights/drops so I wanted to judge the road - I think I'll send her over Honister otherwise I'll be in trouble when she arrives.

Welsh Rambler - it was a lovely walk - the views were amazing, though it was a little hazy so there isn't great clarity to the photos - I had never walked Knott Rigg/Ard Crags before - a lovely ridge with amazing views in all directions, and I even enjoyed Buttermere Moss on the odd occasion I wasn't looking for somewhere dry to put my feet.

Lee - I parked at the top of the pass - there are a couple of good sized pull ins holding probably 15-20 cars between them - I was first there at 7.30.  Looks like we were quite close to meeting again. What were the ground conditions like on Starling Dodd and Great Borne - they are on my to do list for next weekend?

Ridge - luckily there was a corned beef and pickle sandwich in the depths of the bag so the huskies were safe.

April - it was certainly mild - I took my windproof off after 10 minutes and only put it on again while eating lunch at the top of Robinson.

Paul

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:37:36, 12/03/18 »
Great report Paul, very amusing. That could be the last time ice axe and crampons are used this winter you think?  ;)
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

photonut

« Reply #7 on: 10:09:23, 12/03/18 »
Lee - I parked at the top of the pass - there are a couple of good sized pull ins holding probably 15-20 cars between them - I was first there at 7.30.

Great, thanks for that... I may try that myself this Friday

Looks like we were quite close to meeting again. What were the ground conditions like on Starling Dodd and Great Borne - they are on my to do list for next weekend?

The conditions from leaving the base of Red Pike all the way along to Little/ Starling Dodd and then Great Borne were very good, firm and only the occasional boggy bit that you could easily jump over or walk around.  I don't know what you're planning for your escape from Great Borne but I looked down towards WhiteOak Moss and decided that looked waaaaaay too wet.  Instead I had to retrace my steps back (but skirting the base of) Starling Dodd and then followed (eventually) the route down to Scale Force.  A brill walk tho  O0

I'll keep an eye open for the pdstsp clan this Friday then  ;D

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:04:23, 12/03/18 »
Cheers Jontea - looks like it at the moment - have to say I felt a bit daft carting all the winter kit around yesterday!  Felt even dafter wearing it  ;D

Photonut - thanks for the heads up - I'll follow your lead I think on the re-tracing.  I'm heading up to Buttermere on Friday morning for three nights, 4 days walking, being joined by wife and friends for Friday and Saturday nights.  Very much looking forward to it.  Not worked out routes yet - that's a joy for an evening during the week - I love doing that, it's part of the fun.

If you're around - I'll be in the Bridge Hotel's walkers' bar on Friday I would imagine, washing away any accumulated dust. O0

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:07:20, 13/03/18 »
Fantastic photos, pdstsp  O0  and the accompanying report really made me chuckle.  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy