Author Topic: Tent Purchase - Made the decision today.  (Read 5165 times)

Stube

Re: Tent Purchase - Made the decision today.
« Reply #15 on: 11:55:38, 17/03/18 »
I like Naturehike tents for their low cast and general build quality.

My biggest criticisms are the bright colours (not stealthy) and the mesh interiors (cold in winter and not good for condensation protection).

I'm also not a fan of inner first pitching - I've pitched/struck too often in pouring rain - but you can work round that.

These shortcomings are consequence of the tents being clones of US designs.

I have one of their unnamed freestanding tents, and would recommend them if you can live with the problems.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 08:17:12, 18/03/18 »

Update on the new tent.

As said, it arrived within 24 hours of ordering but I was unable to try it due to being unable to bend (bad back).
Thursday back felt a little better so decided to put it up and see what it looked like.

Checked all the stitching - all looks 'doubled' and well done.
All joints / seams double stitched and taped.
All corner (pegging / guy) points taped and triangular reinforcing.
Zips - YKK and run smoothly, don't appear to be prone to snagging.
Poles - nice aluminium fit together tightly, all one-piece and like a huge octopus until attached to the tent/footprint.
Colour - it is a little 'brighter green' (lime green) than I would have liked, but better than orange or yellow !!!

Time for an erection :

Problem - the ends of the poles have 'nipples' which pass thru, eyelets in the footprint, tent and flysheet, one of the 6 nipples was a different size to the other 5 and would not go thru the eyelet. I tried every which-way thinking perhaps one of the eyelets was a larger size and by putting the correct nipple to the correct eyelet orientated the frame, but, NO. Nothing worked

Thursday sent the supplier a message and pictures asking for suggestions and a resolution.

Friday morning received a message "very sorry, replacement part will be shipped free of charge"
(I have found the nipples available on ebay at a cost of about £2.50 for a pack of two, so wasn't really worried, it was just the principle of buying something and wanting it 'right')

Saturday morning - package arrives, which seems rather large for just a nipple - open package and there is a complete replacement (tent, poles, fly sheet, pegs, guys - the whole lot).

Put the tent up - no problems and it really is a full two-man tent (both SWMBO and myself are not small people and fit easily) Yes it can easily be put-up 'outer first'

Saturday afternoon, send message to seller asking what they want me to do with the 'old' tent.

Sunday morning, receive reply

"Thank you for your message that the part has arrived. We are glad to know you are satisfied with the new product. Please keep the old one. We really appreciated your support"

I have left positive feedback for both the seller and the product - a measure of customer service is how willing and quickly the seller is to correct any problems, I really could not give them any less than 100%

Sunday morning - Ebay, 5 'nipples' for £1.77 ordered (delivery 4 weeks, but no problem - I just happen to have a 'spare' tent to 'keep me going')

I could have spent £450 on an MSR Hubba Hubba, but I spent £74.99 on a 'clone' so far I am more than happy with the tent and its apparent quality, I guess time will tell.

Picture of the 'offending nipple' (larger one, compared to the correct size)

« Last Edit: 08:43:39, 18/03/18 by alan de enfield »

devondan

« Reply #17 on: 15:38:57, 02/11/18 »
Hi,

Can I just ask how you have got on with the tent? I was after the msr hubba hubba as a lightweight backpacking tent/mountain marathon compromise, but the price is hefty, then I saw these. Does it stand up to use and rain ok? Many thanks. Dan.

MichaelUK

« Reply #18 on: 17:11:22, 02/11/18 »
I decided on something completely different, a hammock! Have had several extremely comfortable nights in it.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 12:05:12, 03/11/18 »
Hi,

Can I just ask how you have got on with the tent? I was after the msr hubba hubba as a lightweight backpacking tent/mountain marathon compromise, but the price is hefty, then I saw these. Does it stand up to use and rain ok? Many thanks. Dan.

I have sent you a PM.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:48:24, 03/11/18 »

I have sent you a PM.

:-\ Why a pm? I, and probably others, would really like to know how this tent performed as I covet the MSR but can't afford one.
Was it a truly disastrous purchase? 
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 18:05:05, 03/11/18 »
I'm still on course to buy a Naturehike tent. Just havn't got around to it yet.

chriscab

« Reply #22 on: 11:24:43, 04/11/18 »
Coleman Aravis is a fantastic and affordable tent.

Used it in all conditions and never let me down.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 17:06:16, 04/11/18 »

:-\ Why a pm? I, and probably others, would really like to know how this tent performed as I covet the MSR but can't afford one.
Was it a truly disastrous purchase?

Ok this was the PM I'll put my problems out in public :

Due to circumstances (my Son diagnosed with a brain tumour - surgery, Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy over the last year or so) the tent has not had a 'fair chance' to impress (or otherwise).
Had it up in the garden and it was certainly waterproof and the 'quality' feels excellent with taped joints reinforcement where needed, zips, etc everything feels 'right'.

It would not be fair to give a glowing report without actually using it in anger, but, I THINK it will perform as required.

Hope that helps a little.
Regards
Alan
« Last Edit: 17:09:25, 04/11/18 by alan de enfield »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 18:36:27, 04/11/18 »
Really sorry to hear that Alan.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 19:47:44, 04/11/18 »
Really sorry to hear that Alan.

I get out to do local 'estate, farm-tracks & footpaths' for a couple or three hours most days, get 6 or 7 miles per day in, but it has put a kibosh on 'days away' as we never know how he would react to the treatment(s).

Has now finished treatment (September) but will still be having 2 or 3 monthly MRI scans to make sure there are no further 'developments'.
Next Scan 3rd week November.

Hopefully things will be a bit easier next year.

Ralph

« Reply #26 on: 21:22:45, 04/11/18 »
I think I can honestly say that all our thoughts are with you. All on the forum wish you and your family all the very best. X

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 08:03:35, 05/11/18 »
I am so sorry Alan, to hear you've had had such a difficult year. I just thought the tent had proved so useless that you were embarrassed to tell us. It's good to hear that your son has completed the a treatment and life can get back to something approaching normality. Wishing him and the family better times ahead.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

devondan

« Reply #28 on: 20:56:18, 05/11/18 »
Indeed - what a great world it is when someone with a lot on their plate takes the time to pen a thoughtful reply to a stranger asking for some advice. Thank you.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy