Author Topic: Buckbarrow & Seatallan  (Read 720 times)

MarkT

Buckbarrow & Seatallan
« on: 20:17:24, 14/03/18 »
Having not been in the lakes for 6 months and where I live is rather flat, I didn't want my first full day in Wasdale to be too challenging.  So I headed towards Greendale and thought Buckbarrow would be a nice introduction and the weather seemed to be promising.

All was going well and after gaining height rather steeper than I was expecting and after several stops I was able to look back down and see Tosh Tarn.

After some exploring near the top I reached the summit and could just see Lingmell but anything higher was in cloud.

The weather seemed to be holding but was aware of some darker clouds behind Seatallan but thought lets go for it and if it gets bad I can always turn back, so headed towards Glade How first.

Then with my head down I went for Seatallan and all was good until I reached the open summit and the cloud came down a little lower.

I hadn't thought much about the way back from Seatallan but remember reading about Pots of Ashness being rather wet.  As soon as I started my descent the cloud cleared a little and could now see across Yewbarrow, which I would be attempting later in the week. Great Gable in the far distance.

Even though there wasn't much snow, the ground was hard and frozen in places so I thought I would go for it and then see Greendale Tarn.  All went well to start with but every now and then the so called frozen marsh gave way under my boots and would hear a lovely squelching noise. No leaking boots but certainly turned my feet cold! Greendale Tarn came into view and looked somewhat cold!

A very pleasnt first days walk in the lakes.  So of course headed to the local pub but took a quick walk up behind the Wasdale Inn upto Ritson's Force. A fair bit of water flowing down as the snow was melting higher up but some parts of the falls frozen.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Buckbarrow & Seatallan
« Reply #1 on: 00:30:25, 15/03/18 »
Great pictures, sometimes it is worth pressing on to see if the weather will go your way.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 07:15:50, 15/03/18 »
Great pics Mark  O0
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:14:57, 15/03/18 »
Great pics Mark - thanks for posting.

What's the ground like between Buckbarrow and Seatallan?

Paul

MarkT

« Reply #4 on: 22:50:33, 15/03/18 »
Thanks for comments.

The ground leading from Buckbarrow upto Seatallan via Glade How was firm with the odd patch of frozen boggyness. Coming down from Seatallan via Greendale Tarn was at first pretty much the same (frozen) but as I got lower the ground was softening. if it had been raining or had warmed a little then I may have avoided Pots of Ashness as reknown for being wet under foot.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:54:20, 17/03/18 »
Smashin report Mark, it’s nice when the clouds just hold off and you get away with views you didn’t think you’d get.

I’m guessing you didn’t see too many people on those fells, as a more quieter part of Wasdale

Thanks for sharing  O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy