Author Topic: Inscribed Rock  (Read 1692 times)

bigbri

Inscribed Rock
« on: 18:34:07, 25/05/18 »
Another query. Does anyone know about an inscribed rock near Lanercost at approximately
NY56440 64129 please?
Bri and Terri

bigbri

Re: Inscribed Rock
« Reply #1 on: 11:45:51, 03/06/18 »
Well a failure here.  Found the field but it was massive with knee high long grass.  Seemed to be a private field that had a notice on the gate at some point.  We circumvented the field but could not see anything.  Could not see anything that looked like rocks in the field.  So for now it's a mystery.

B and T

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:50:24, 17/06/18 »
Do you mean the fake one? Don't know the GR, so may be different.
http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archiveDS/archiveDownload?t=arch-2055-1/dissemination/pdf/Article_Level_Pdf/tcwaas/002/1929/vol29/tcwaas_002_1929_vol29_0009.pdf
ETA: A fake created over a century ago, so still of historical interest.
« Last Edit: 21:55:29, 17/06/18 by archaeoroutes »
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

bigbri

« Reply #3 on: 18:56:37, 17/06/18 »
That is a total wow. Thank you so much. I wish I could get hold of the info that you experts seem to come up with. Will give it an in depth read when I get home

bigbri

« Reply #4 on: 17:55:43, 20/06/18 »
I have just had an in depth study of the article archaeoroutes. The map is quite confusing and where we went to look for it was the wrong place anyway.  So, it's given us the incentive to go and have another go.  Even if it is fake, would be great to spot it.  Thanks again.
Bri and Terri

bigbri

« Reply #5 on: 08:33:00, 02/07/18 »
Well with great difficulty I worked my way up a stream as it seemed the only way that I could get to the co-ordinates.  Lots of bugs and fallen trees etc.  I got to the supposed spot but could not actually see any inscriptions.  Of course it was well overgrown and things will have changed.  I took some photo's but still could not spot anything except something that looks like a smiley face.  I wonder when this inscription was last seen.  I may try again in the Winter when there is less growth around.

Bri

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:31:32, 02/07/18 »
Glad you got there to have a look. Sounds like a fun adventure getting there!
If you do go back in winter, it would be interesting to know the state of things. Thanks for keeping us posted.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

bigbri

« Reply #7 on: 21:34:13, 02/07/18 »
I will. I am keen to go

bigbri

« Reply #8 on: 10:05:40, 03/07/18 »
This is the area that the gps took me too.  Near the top at the centre looks a bit like a smiley face.  But I could not see any writings.

Bri

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy